Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 10:55 PM

312 posts, read 831,610 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am not sure if this is the best place to post, but hoping to get some recommendation. Had a construction done a few years ago when we also installed a new HVAC system. At the time, GC hired a remediation company and they removed the supply boots with asbestos. They didn't replace the registers. I reached out and they said "The asbestos is on the outside of the boots and did not communicate with the air flow. It poses very little, if any, risk to you".

I have been told they were in good condition and wouldn't pose a risk unless disturbed. But was taking a look recently and don't know if this is good condition, if it offers risks. Wondering for my family's health if I should get all of them replaced. A lot of houses in my area are also old (mine is 1940) and have similar registers.

Link to image
https://imgur.com/a/1fpPswe

Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you for helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 07:49 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Your outlet registers do not contain asbestos. They're 99% probably stamped or cast metal. There are a few wooden registers.

If you are worried that somehow asbestos dust got onto active surfaces of the registers and is now being blown about (very unlikely) then just take them off, wipe down with damp rag, reinstall. Done!

Couldn't view your picture but you probably have ordinary dust all over the registers - in which case apply the damp rag. Done!

Asbestos fibers do not fly around like mosquitoes looking for someone to attack.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:18 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
The pic is the boot- not a register.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Your outlet registers do not contain asbestos. They're 99% probably stamped or cast metal. There are a few wooden registers.

If you are worried that somehow asbestos dust got onto active surfaces of the registers and is now being blown about (very unlikely) then just take them off, wipe down with damp rag, reinstall. Done!

Couldn't view your picture but you probably have ordinary dust all over the registers - in which case apply the damp rag. Done!

Asbestos fibers do not fly around like mosquitoes looking for someone to attack.
I had the register sampled and tested - "65% chrysotile RACM"

Old 11-11-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The pic is the boot- not a register.
According to the Asbestos company the supply boots were removed. So I am assuming the inside is new material.I know they put all new ducts.

By register, are you referring to only the grille? Here is a picture of the register with the grille:

I don't much about asbestos..in my ignorance I look at these spots and wonder if it's asbestos exposed:

Thank you

Old 11-11-2020, 12:39 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Yes, the "grill" is the register. The sheetmetal "box" that is covered by the register is the "boot".

From your pic, it would be hard to say one way or the other- But, I would have to assume that if the abatement company removed the original boots and duct- it's been removed.

I do question the quality of the installation! any and all cuts, seams, and openings in the ductwork (including the boots) should be sealed with mastic. And form your pic THAT certainly WAS NOT DONE. Leaky ductwork can certainly waste comfort dollars!

Just for informational purposes- is this duct a supply or a return?

Old 11-11-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, the "grill" is the register. The sheetmetal "box" that is covered by the register is the "boot".

From your pic, it would be hard to say one way or the other- But, I would have to assume that if the abatement company removed the original boots and duct- it's been removed.

I do question the quality of the installation! any and all cuts, seams, and openings in the ductwork (including the boots) should be sealed with mastic. And form your pic THAT certainly WAS NOT DONE. Leaky ductwork can certainly waste comfort dollars!

Supply.

Thank you

Old 11-11-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:

And by grill do you also include the part attached to wall, where the grill cover goes? I mean that whole white part is the register, right?

What's that paper looking material on the area behind the metal in the boot? Some kind of insulation?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2020, 05:24 PM

Hi all, thanks for helping. Thought was worth adding that although all registers are the same, only the one in the dining room has that white metal inside. Not in the other vents.

Here all pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/CfoiCtP

Old 11-12-2020, 08:44 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
After clicking on the image link, my only question is: who is Captain White Chick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House