Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 05:19 AM

417 posts, read 456,309 times

Advertisements

I think it's possible for 20K but not super likely. So to be clear, you are talking demo and installation of cabinets- wall prep, the carpentry, cabinets. countertop and install, and the rest just materials ( like lighting and hardware - not plumbing electrical)and appliances? Possible but you will need to super shop around.As others have suggested even for cabinets, there are all kinds.
I think you can manage it for 20K but man oh man I think it's going to be tight.
We got all new appliances - good quality but not the ultimate- ( mostly GE Profile)- induction range, microwave, counterdepth fridge, dishwasher and with rebates etc it was under 5K. Cabinets were 18K just materials. I think you can probably get cabinets for about 12K decent quality. Countertops were 4K. Again, I didn't go crazy over the top high end at all and it looks fantastic but all told it was between 35 and 40 K. (and we did not do flooring).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 08:03 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,440,169 times
We are getting ready to embark on a kitchen reno right now. I have a pretty large kitchen with an island. I'm not moving any appliances and keeping the layout the same. I'm also keeping our refrigerator and dishwasher since they are only about a year old. We're looking at $55K, maybe a little more, depending on what finishing touches I choose. That includes custom cabinets and quartzite counters.

That said, we could do it for $30K and even got an estimate for $30K. My In-laws had to replace their rather large kitchen after their house flooded in hurricane Harvey. They used Ikea cabinets and did granite countertops, and came in under $20K. And it's a good size kitchen. They were able to keep their cooktop. They love it. They did everything through Ikea.

I'm not crazy about Ikea cabinets, but apparently the cabinet boxes are pretty good quality. It's the cabinet fronts that people tend to not like. Turns out there are a bunch of companies that make custom cabinet fronts for Ikea boxes. I had no idea. We looked into it, but I would have had to sacrifice some custom features I really wanted. My neighbor did this, and her kitchen looks amazing. To give you an idea, if we would have done the Ikea boxes with custom fronts, cabinets would have been about $10K - $15K (depending on the fronts we chose). The custom cabinets we are getting are $27K, or about half our total budget.

If it's a smaller kitchen, I think you could do it for $20K. Like I said, my in-laws did it, and their kitchen isn't that small.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:19 AM

15,221 posts, read 10,331,805 times
I got an estimate for just refacing my 50 year old cabinets and putting in granite for 10 cabinets (I'm counting the doubles as one and 7 drawers) and it was $8K three years ago. That didn't include any appliances as I already had new ones.

I think $20K sounds quite low unless you live in a very low COL place.

Old 11-15-2020, 12:49 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,393,839 times
$30,000.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:34 PM
KCZ

4,679 posts, read 3,676,438 times
My remodel for a 22'X14' eat-in kitchen, with retention of existing layout and its flooring and windows/doors, new custom cabinets and expensive hardware, large island, lowish-priced granite countertops, marble backsplash, tiling a wall in the eat-in area, Silgranite sink, no moving of plumbing or HVAC, new light fixtures and electrical for same, and mid-range appliances was just under $50K, and that's in the boondocks of NH.

Stuff like a faucet you really like (and TBH, I think the faucet may be the most important thing in the kitchen) and your preferred edge on the countertops can be an extra $400-500 each and it can add up fast. As soon as you come up with a plan, start shopping for things like the sink and faucet and cabinet hardware to get the best prices.

Old 11-15-2020, 05:31 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times
$40K is likely more realistic.

Take your measurements down to Lowes and ask a bid for cabinets, countertops, floors, and appliances. That should give you a place to start.

Then start asking around for contractors that people recommend. Get their bids.

We've remodeled two kitchens over the years and love them both. Well worth the money.

Good luck.

Old 11-15-2020, 05:31 PM

899 posts, read 541,853 times
Hi all, many thanks for the feedback.

It really is amazing how all the small costs do add up. I can look up the price of Bosch appliances at Lowes/Home Depot and it's manageable, but oddly enough it can give you a very bad picture as to how much the rest of the kitchen renovation can cost. You'd think the appliances would be the big ticket items and cabinets simple enough, but it seems like it's the other away around!

This kitchen is a hypothetical renovation as it's a house I'm looking at and which does need a lot of improvements, as indicated in my earlier posts. It does make me wonder if it's better to pay top dollar for a fully move in condition and updated house? If you buy a fixer upper, you might run the risk of spending even more money to pull it back into proper shape.

Then again, it does make you wonder how the renovators/flippers make any money.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:57 PM

7,251 posts, read 7,087,479 times
Renovators/flippers tend to do a lot of the work themselves and get supplies at contractor prices, not general public prices.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:29 PM

15,468 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Hi all, many thanks for the feedback.

It really is amazing how all the small costs do add up. I can look up the price of Bosch appliances at Lowes/Home Depot and it's manageable, but oddly enough it can give you a very bad picture as to how much the rest of the kitchen renovation can cost. You'd think the appliances would be the big ticket items and cabinets simple enough, but it seems like it's the other away around!

This kitchen is a hypothetical renovation as it's a house I'm looking at and which does need a lot of improvements, as indicated in my earlier posts. It does make me wonder if it's better to pay top dollar for a fully move in condition and updated house? If you buy a fixer upper, you might run the risk of spending even more money to pull it back into proper shape.

Then again, it does make you wonder how the renovators/flippers make any money.
The flippers make money by using super cheap contractor grade garbage.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:56 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,573,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The flippers make money by using super cheap contractor grade garbage.
And doing shoddy cosmetic work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House