Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 07:44 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times

Advertisements

You may need to replace the toilet fill valve and tube. Some of the newer flappers don't fit exactly on the old fill valves. I called in a plumber who explained that this happened over the last two years. If you upgrade the toilet fill valve, it will fit. You can still buy old flappers online. The Classic Korky's can be ordered through Home Depot's web site. It's actually sold by a third party.

The best solution is get all new parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 07:47 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
The one that I fixed was a leak showing up on the floor. It was the gasket my licensed plumber recommend a total rebuild as it was 20 years old and other metal parts were seeing lots of corrosion as is common with our water in Plano. I got a 50 price break on the rebuild as he quoted me an old price that had jumped $50 recently. I think my cost was $200 for parts and a licensed plumbers labor and a house call time, not charged separately but has to be buried in the price some where Im sure

He told me the rebuild was guaranteed for 5 years here too but cautioned that is about what they last with our water.. 5 years was not rare fail and 10 years was what he called good luck on a life.

The current issue could be a gasket leak like the other but the gasket on the into the bowl outlet. I am pretty sure I had no leak when I replaced flappers initially but after one flush, all of them started leaking again.

Ive got the internal hardware for a rebuild but not the gaskets or wax seal so will head to HD early tomorrow and get them as well adn tive this new handyman a try at rebuilding the toilet

Thanks for the comments

A complete brand new Kohler toilet is just over $200 at the big box stores...........

I'd never rebuild an old toilet for $200

Old 12-01-2020, 08:17 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
DIY a full rebuild of the tank costs ~$30 in parts. The wax ring is another $10. One of the plumbers I watch on Youtube says the floor gaskets with the rubber cone/horn can cause leaking. The toilet shifts a little and the cone starts directing water onto the floor. He always uses a plain old wax ring with no horn.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
With a new toilet, you still need to buy and install a wax ring. You will also have to install the various gaskets - pretty much the same labor as rebuilding an existing one.

OTOH - for about $300 you can get a chair height toilet. If you are over 45, That may be a really good option. As you get older, getting off a low toilet can be a challenge in the mornings.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:52 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, the human anatomy prefers the low toilet to effect its functions. I despise those tall terlits and I'm well over 45.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:33 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You're not kidding. I'm on the Depot's site, a new toilet is $110 for an American Standard. That's $80 cheaper then his service call plus he also bought parts. I'm not the type to throw something about so would fix it if I did like the toilet. The ones we have aren't good ones, I'd replace them if we were staying another 10 years but I'd buy what we had at the old house. I'd hit my neighbor on FB to have her ask the owner what toilet we had.
If you want the leaks to stop permanently, buy a Toro brand toilet.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Does it come with a motor and blade. You can take a dump and mow your lawn at the same time!I know you ment toto not toro.

I had some $110 Home Depot crapper want a piece of junk. Now I got some $450ish kohler not the Home Depot junK, From plumbing supply store. Best toilet I ever had. I only hear amazing things about toto.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:00 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
A toilet leaks into the bowl a while after I replace the flapper. Done so three times now and its only a temp fix. After a few flushes it starts leaking into the bowl and the refill cycle starts. I tried silicon seal on the water outlet in the tank which did not fix it. What else could it be?

I bought a kit to rebuild the internals as I had to do on another one in my MBR. It was leaking to the floor from the bottom of the tank due to the gasket failing after 20 years. On the current leaky one into the bowl, I am planning on trying a new handyman to do this for me when I need that bath fully functional for guests. But for the life of me cant figure out what the flapper is a temp fix and the silicon did not seal it either.

Thoughts?
There is a rubber gasket between the tank and the bowl. That rubber gasket gets distorted and swells up and deteriorates. There are also gaskets on the hold down screws fir the tank. You can get a repair kit. Unless the tank or bowl is cracked it’s usualy gaskets that leak

Old 12-04-2020, 04:55 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There is a rubber gasket between the tank and the bowl. That rubber gasket gets distorted and swells up and deteriorates. There are also gaskets on the hold down screws fir the tank. You can get a repair kit. Unless the tank or bowl is cracked it’s usualy gaskets that leak
Thanks, sounds like the likely cause for my issue and not a huge job to fix

Old 12-04-2020, 05:31 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I think you mean Toto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House