Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 02:05 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times

Advertisements

I do not pay for a name!

I look at construction/materials. Knowing it will spend its life outdoors (not under roof), obviously it would need a good quality cover. My theory works this way- the more stainless the better! Interior/exterior, and components like burners and grates.

Here's an example that pretty much checks the boxes-

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

*and it has a side burner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 02:23 PM

160 posts, read 206,281 times
Thank you all for the responses. I plan to use the grill mainly in late-spring to summer (Probably once/week). The side grill probably will use it twice/month. Yes I do take care of things in general.(Season Lawn-mower..give you an idea lol)
Where is a cover for $10? I see ones for $35.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:23 PM

10,764 posts, read 5,683,884 times
I’ve had a Weber Genesis for 15 years. The electronic ignition burned out in year two. Annoying, but a minor inconvenience. Other than that, it has been flawless.

However, something to consider - I would gladly trade it for a Blackstone. My style of cooking has changed over the years, and a Blackstone would be much better at serving my needs. Much more versatile, and burgers are order of magnitude better on a flat top.

YMMV

Old 02-22-2021, 02:26 PM

160 posts, read 206,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I do not pay for a name!

I look at construction/materials. Knowing it will spend its life outdoors (not under roof), obviously it would need a good quality cover. My theory works this way- the more stainless the better! Interior/exterior, and components like burners and grates.

Same here, the Weber for the extra burner is like in the 600s. These guys have added the price between models for trivial things like a "door" "extra pair of wheels". Clearly they have marketed this way.
The side-burner on the Weber has a "flat grate or grill", so a Wok really wouldn't be stable. So I might have to look into this Char-Broil to see how the side-burners are.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:05 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7605a View Post
Same here, the Weber for the extra burner is like in the 600s. These guys have added the price between models for trivial things like a "door" "extra pair of wheels". Clearly they have marketed this way.
The side-burner on the Weber has a "flat grate or grill", so a Wok really wouldn't be stable. So I might have to look into this Char-Broil to see how the side-burners are.
Best thing I've found for a true wok is using the charcoal chimney. Load that baby with coals and let her rip!! That's the only way I can get my wok close to true wok temperatures.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-22-2021 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 03:34 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Best thing I've found for a true wok is using the charcoal chimney. Load that baby with coals and let her rip!! That's the only way I can get my wok close to true wok temperatures.
The 22000 btu burner on our Wolf rangetop will do that without any problems at all, and we bought a wok grate when we bought the Wolf.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:31 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Weber customer service is great - my grill blew over in a freak windstorm, and the hinge attaching the lid to the grill broke. I called to ask about ordering new parts and they sent everything I needed - for free. I said I hadn't been looking for what, and their response was that their grill shouldn't have broken even if blown over by a 100 mph wind gust.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:06 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,422,618 times
Go cheap, get cheap. I always went with no name brand Home Depot gas grills. Decided to “blow the dust off the wallet” and bought a Weber. Best decision I’ve ever made. Weber

Old 02-22-2021, 05:12 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Weber is generally the best.

I got a no-name cheap-o grill from Walmart 3 years ago for $75 + propane tank. It works. I figured, if it lasts one season, I'll have learned enough about grilling to know what to buy for my "real" grill. It ended up lasting 3 seasons, but the ceramics is starting to peal off. Time to junk it.

I'm going to get a Weber; just need to decide how many hundreds to spend

By the way we also have a charcoal Weber and it's been excellent, built like a tank.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:13 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I do not pay for a name!

I have the older version of this one. Been pretty happy... 5 years now and still in use. I hear good things about Weber as well but I could buy two (or more) of these for the price. I use mine a lot! I grill even in the middle of winter. Grilling isn't a leisure thing in my family it is one of the main ways we prepare/cook food daily. I think mine was $200 (sale).

Whatever you buy, get a really good cover and keep it dry and away from the elements. Mine is outside all year round and under a good cover when not in use.

Last edited by usayit; 02-22-2021 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House