Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 04:30 PM

15,506 posts, read 7,538,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7605a View Post
WRM20, how has the lid performed in general? Do you have rust issues with the lid after 10 years? Sounds like the grates are cheap - $30 for a cast-iron which is fine, but if the lid is going to rust in 3 years, I would think Weber is a joke.
Wouldn't we come out cheaper if we bought a $250 for a grill and replace it in 4 -5 years (if it goes bad)and buy another $200-$250 grill? Weber has done a great job marketing, It is like for an extra-door they "force" you to buy the next model for +$50, then for 4 wheels and a side-burner +$200.
Lid is solid, no issues at all. I think the grill is older than that, I bought it unused but assembled at an estate sale for $125. It has a side burner as well. It's a Weber Genesis Silver C, and looks like this https://www.amazon.com/Weber-2361001.../dp/B00004RAL4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 04:34 PM

160 posts, read 206,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Lid is solid, no issues at all. I think the grill is older than that, I bought it unused but assembled at an estate sale for $125. It has a side burner as well. It's a Weber Genesis Silver C, and looks like this https://www.amazon.com/Weber-2361001.../dp/B00004RAL4
That's great.
$125 for a Weber is like the lottery lol! Nice!
This model which you posted has a nice shape for the grate on the side-burner.
Weber doesn't have that kind of a grate anymore.

Last edited by ss7605a; 02-26-2021 at 05:09 PM..

Old 02-26-2021, 06:57 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,560,339 times
Quote:
WRM20, how has the lid performed in general? Do you have rust issues with the lid after 10 years? Sounds like the grates are cheap - $30 for a cast-iron which is fine, but if the lid is going to rust in 3 years, I would think Weber is a joke.
Wouldn't we come out cheaper if we bought a $250 for a grill and replace it in 4 -5 years (if it goes bad)and buy another $200-$250 grill? Weber has done a great job marketing, It is like for an extra-door they "force" you to buy the next model for +$50, then for 4 wheels and a side-burner +$200.
The “lid” is like a tank. I often cook by indirect heat, meaning I place the food in the middle and turn the outer burners on. The heat in the box can get well over 500*. Perfect for bone-in chicken. The box is the key. This is not sheet metal.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:05 PM

15,506 posts, read 7,538,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
The “lid” is like a tank. I often cook by indirect heat, meaning I place the food in the middle and turn the outer burners on. The heat in the box can get well over 500*. Perfect for bone-in chicken. The box is the key. This is not sheet metal.
Yeah, it looks like cast aluminum. I don't think it's cast iron, but I could be wrong. It's just not heavy enough to feel like iron.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:52 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,389,625 times
Quote:
I am hearing about can get ”parts” easily replaced. So given this is a $600+ Gas grill, is Weber sending these replacement parts?
Genesis and Summit series have a 10 year warranty but they are pretty good about honoring parts on the others within reason.

Old 02-27-2021, 03:31 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,468,006 times
Quote:
I am looking for recommendations on a good entry-level gas grill (3 burner with side burner) and my budget was $200 -$250 at the max. This is my first grill and the side-burner is a "must-have".
It looks like Weber's cheapest is the E330.

But reading all over the place, it looks like Weber is probably the best and the other 2 has mixed reviews.

I found the following with side-burners -
1. NexGrill - $199
2. Char Griller - $189
3. Weber Spirit E330 - $629

But wouldn't you come out cheaper even if the lower-end ones come for 4-5 years and then I have to replace it?

Any reason why I should pay higher and go for the Weber?
Weber's last a very long time, my mom has had her's since 1995. And it is still like new. She keeps it in the garage, she keeps it very nice, she has replaced the burners maybe once. I have a high end weber grill with built in smoker and rotisserie attachment. Mine however was around $2,000. I don't suggest spending that kind of money but if you want a good grill get the cheapest weber they make. I have had mine 3 years, before that I had one that my neighbor was putting to the curb and all that was needed was new burners ( don't remember the name) had that 2 years and before that we had a Kenmore that lasted 10 years. (A weeding gift)

Old 03-03-2021, 09:26 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,075,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post

This is important if you are using indirect heat for grilling.

My old Charbroil Big Easy is a tank, from the early '00s (posted in this thread about it). The "box" or whatever (lid and base) is some sort of thick metal and heavy. Like dcfas writes, getting a 3/8" steel pizza stone to 500+ degrees F is not a problem.

I have replaced burners (necessary), heat shields (not necessary but getting gross and cheap to add on to the order for the burners) and grate (not necessary but original was steel and discolored and I wanted to move to iron grate).

But that box is solid and efficient. It may well outlast me. Again, this is from the early '00s - I have not looked at gas grill since then, so no idea how well any of the manufacturers are making them but the construction of the box would be priority number one for me in my rubric.

(BTW, this is a great discussion - thanks, all).

Old 03-04-2021, 12:02 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,855,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Curious if you got the Spirit E300 series. That was Weber's attempt and making a cheaper grill. That's what we have and while the outside is holding up OK, the burner tubes rusted out. Those can be replaced though. We are thinking about dropping a grand on the Weber Genesis 3 burner E335 so I would hope that for that price it would hold up for at least 10 years.
I have a Spirit II that is at least 12-13 years old which after the first year or two has spent all its time outside under a vinyl cover. The grills and flavorizer bars have been replaced with heavy grade stainless steel from an aftermarket supplier at less cost than Weber porcelain coated would have been. The burners were taken out once and wire brushed to get the openings back to original condition. I wish it would die so I could get a new one but there's nothing wrong with it except the starter is dead. I could get a new one for about twenty bucks but matches are cheaper and work at least as well.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:30 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,042,175 times
Quote:
I am looking for recommendations on a good entry-level gas grill (3 burner with side burner) and my budget was $200 -$250 at the max. This is my first grill and the side-burner is a "must-have".
It looks like Weber's cheapest is the E330.

But reading all over the place, it looks like Weber is probably the best and the other 2 has mixed reviews.

I found the following with side-burners -
1. NexGrill - $199
2. Char Griller - $189
3. Weber Spirit E330 - $629

But wouldn't you come out cheaper even if the lower-end ones come for 4-5 years and then I have to replace it?

Any reason why I should pay higher and go for the Weber?
Weber. Hands down. I usually go with the $1000 model with side burner. I bought my last one in 2009, after the char whatever bought at Walmart only lasted one year.

We are building a new deck this year and going with a new Weber. They make the best product that lasts for a long time.

Old 03-04-2021, 06:09 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,942,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I have a Spirit II that is at least 12-13 years old which after the first year or two has spent all its time outside under a vinyl cover. The grills and flavorizer bars have been replaced with heavy grade stainless steel from an aftermarket supplier at less cost than Weber porcelain coated would have been. The burners were taken out once and wire brushed to get the openings back to original condition. I wish it would die so I could get a new one but there's nothing wrong with it except the starter is dead. I could get a new one for about twenty bucks but matches are cheaper and work at least as well.
We had an older Spirit that lasted quite awhile outside, uncovered. We bought a new one on 2015 but there is a huge difference in the quality of the construction compared to the old one. There's also a significant difference compared to the Genesis models -I wish I had paid closer attention to the details. If you have one of the older models you got a good one.

I hear you about wanting it to die. We replaced the burner tubes in the 2015 Spirit and the igniter won't work now and they don't have the match holes any more so you have to try to stick the match down under the flavorer bar and hope it catches. The place where the propane is stored is difficult to get to and it only has a removable cover, not a door so critters are able to get in it and clean out my grease tray for me. I so want a new one, but just waiting for it to become the next spending priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House