Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 07:32 PM

436 posts, read 579,549 times

Advertisements

I have a trash can pull out drawer with two trash cans. I don't like it. I know I am probably one of the few people who dislikes what is probably considered a highly functional and tidy design feature in a kitchen. But hear me out on why I don't like it. The trash in it smells, it didn't smell in my stainless steel step trash can (which I still have) before. The drawer is pulled in and out constantly and the paint of the top of the drawer is already starting to wear after a few months, my home is new construction. I am worried about the mechanism of the drawer eventually malfunctioning because the trash is too heavy and will break it down and the drawer face become wonky.

I would like to put my stainless steel step can in my kitchen and go back to using that but what to do with this drawer? I have no handyman capabilities whatsoever but would be willing to pay for a small project to make it an area useful to me. I envision putting something in there I don't need to access 15 or 20 times a day like I do now so it reduces wear and tear on the drawer and drawer face. It holds two trash cans, I live in a podunk town that doesn't recycle so I don't need two trash bins. I have a convenient place to put my stainless steel step can that is out of sight.

Has anyone transitioned their trash bin drawer into something else? I tried googling this and everything related to how to convert a regular cabinet into a slide out trash drawer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 11:22 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
It could become a place for many things.

What do you “need” but don’t have? What do you “want” in that particular location that would make your kitchen- your kitchen?

No; not making a list of possibilities. Even though the list is finite.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:32 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
I have a trash can pull out drawer with two trash cans. I don't like it. I know I am probably one of the few people who dislikes what is probably considered a highly functional and tidy design feature in a kitchen. But hear me out on why I don't like it. The trash in it smells, it didn't smell in my stainless steel step trash can (which I still have) before. The drawer is pulled in and out constantly and the paint of the top of the drawer is already starting to wear after a few months, my home is new construction. I am worried about the mechanism of the drawer eventually malfunctioning because the trash is too heavy and will break it down and the drawer face become wonky.

I would like to put my stainless steel step can in my kitchen and go back to using that but what to do with this drawer? I have no handyman capabilities whatsoever but would be willing to pay for a small project to make it an area useful to me. I envision putting something in there I don't need to access 15 or 20 times a day like I do now so it reduces wear and tear on the drawer and drawer face. It holds two trash cans, I live in a podunk town that doesn't recycle so I don't need two trash bins. I have a convenient place to put my stainless steel step can that is out of sight.

Has anyone transitioned their trash bin drawer into something else? I tried googling this and everything related to how to convert a regular cabinet into a slide out trash drawer.
A Kitchenaid mixer would fit the space pretty perfectly.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:11 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
I have a trash can pull out drawer with two trash cans. I don't like it. I know I am probably one of the few people who dislikes what is probably considered a highly functional and tidy design feature in a kitchen.
You're not alone, I don't like mine either! I don't know why, but I just don't. Guess I am old and set in my ways, and just don't want to use it. Luckily in my case, my kitchen has more cabinets and drawers than I could ever need. I don't need the space for anything, really. So, I just ignore the trash can pull out drawer and instead I put my trash where I prefer.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:55 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
It could be modified to house cookie/sheet pans, pizza stones, etc.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-04-2021, 05:11 AM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Clean up the cans and store dish towels, table cloths, etc. in them. Or big packages of paper towels. Buy a covered container which will fit inside the can and store pet food. Cases of water.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:59 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
A Kitchenaid mixer would fit the space pretty perfectly.
Yes - sounds like it should be a wide enough and tall enough space to put (with some kind of shelf also) a big mixer, food processor, blender, ice cream maker - all bulky heavy stuff - so whatever appliances you don't use often. Is it just one big wide cabinet (one door)? There are some "kits" to convert cabinet space that might work - especially if you can get a handyman.

"Rev a shelf" is one - there are others especially for retrofitting:
https://www.build.com/rev-a-shelf/c1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 03-04-2021, 06:08 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Find out the name of your cabinet maker. Order a new door of the right size and color. Remove the old door and trash bin parts. Add hinges to your new door and cabinet base. Now you have a cabinet just like all the others. Basically, deconvert it back to a cabinet.

If you're not handy, hire a handyman to do the converting part for you.

Old 03-04-2021, 06:14 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I have a trash compactor and I'm not crazy about the slide-out drawer either. I have a tall touch-free can I've been meaning to put in the kitchen. Maybe today will be the day.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:56 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:

I tried googling this and everything related to how to convert a regular cabinet into a slide out trash drawer.

Google cabinet organizer or cabinet storage or cabinet slide out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House