Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 11:01 PM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
I have a trash can pull out drawer with two trash cans. I don't like it. I know I am probably one of the few people who dislikes what is probably considered a highly functional and tidy design feature in a kitchen. But hear me out on why I don't like it. The trash in it smells, it didn't smell in my stainless steel step trash can (which I still have) before. The drawer is pulled in and out constantly and the paint of the top of the drawer is already starting to wear after a few months, my home is new construction.
You are not alone. I dislike having a trash can right near me in the kitchen. I darn sure would not want under counter space taken up by a trash can. My trash can in in the laundry room - it's a few steps away and that is exactly how I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 04:16 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,994,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Just an FYI: another poster mentioned Rev-a-Shelf. GREAT company and wonderful products. However, I recommend ordering what you want from Home Depot. Rev-a-Shelf will make you pay a 20% restocking fee if you mess up the measurements and what you ordered from them doesn't fit. Home Depot will just take the item back without the fee.

I ordered all my Rev-a-Shelf inserts from Home Depot. Super products and very well made. Not dissing the company, just want people to be aware of their return policy.
Good tip on the company.

We too have a trash compactor we wont use, but the spot it occupies works well for our kitchen trash can(s).

I like this one:

Old 03-06-2021, 05:26 AM

43,343 posts, read 77,209,038 times
You should be able to re-use the same door with hinges on it, depending on the hinge style, if you just want to convert to a cabinet. Maybe you could put your steel can into the rack, behind the door, if it will fit and the current rack has a bottom rack set up, such as the photo above.

We have the Rev-a-Shelf unit at this link, and we love having the trash can nearly at counter level.
https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/revas...BBSCDM1-p38268
No drawer above, and the hardware as high as possible. It is great for wiping the island after prep and pulling scraps directly into the can.

We had a house with the trash can rack at the bottom of the cabinet, and the 6"--10" opening between top of can and bottom of countertop was easy to mess up.
I would not like either of these:
https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/im...00-52-full.png
Making a mess of the drawer front and contents is too easy.

https://d946x53wpfi05.cloudfront.net...EBMD50PC-R.jpg
Too much gap between cans and countertop. Too easy to lose trash.

Smell? We change the bag as often as needed to keep odor down. And, we use our garbage disposal. Composting smelly stuff is another option.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:28 AM

8,782 posts, read 5,077,447 times
I know this isn`t what the OP wants to hear, but I love my trash can drawer. This is the first house, that I have had one in. I couldn`t stand, having a trash can out in the open, in my kitchen. It always looked so out of place, I couldn`t stand looking at it.
They do make sented rubbish can liners, of just put a box of arm and hammer baking soda in the drawer, that should take away the smell.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:08 AM

23,882 posts, read 33,614,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
I have a trash can pull out drawer with two trash cans. I don't like it. I know I am probably one of the few people who dislikes what is probably considered a highly functional and tidy design feature in a kitchen. But hear me out on why I don't like it. The trash in it smells, it didn't smell in my stainless steel step trash can (which I still have) before. The drawer is pulled in and out constantly and the paint of the top of the drawer is already starting to wear after a few months, my home is new construction. I am worried about the mechanism of the drawer eventually malfunctioning because the trash is too heavy and will break it down and the drawer face become wonky.

I would like to put my stainless steel step can in my kitchen and go back to using that but what to do with this drawer? I have no handyman capabilities whatsoever but would be willing to pay for a small project to make it an area useful to me. I envision putting something in there I don't need to access 15 or 20 times a day like I do now so it reduces wear and tear on the drawer and drawer face. It holds two trash cans, I live in a podunk town that doesn't recycle so I don't need two trash bins. I have a convenient place to put my stainless steel step can that is out of sight.

Has anyone transitioned their trash bin drawer into something else? I tried googling this and everything related to how to convert a regular cabinet into a slide out trash drawer.
I don't use it for trash either because it would smell. I use the back one to store plastic and paper bags, for the front one, I use it for paper recycling. I keep a 24 pack from Brisk or a Coke 24 pack box in it to keep it neat.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:56 PM

1,633 posts, read 1,719,889 times
I put stinky garbage in grocery store plastic bags, tie them airtight and put them in the freezer until garbage day. If something in the garbage bin smells (yes I have dual pull out waste cans next to my sink), I use a grocery store plastic garbage bag as a cover for the garbage in the can by placing it so it covers the entire open area and then compact it down tight.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:00 PM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
It all depends on how long you keep trash/recycle in the house. Here it goes out at night and if it has a smell during the day.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:27 PM

295 posts, read 237,334 times
I agree with marcandme, I like my trash can drawer, it is also my first house to have one. The top of the cabinet has a slide-out cutting board built into it, so I can do my cutting and chopping (I use a thin clean plastic sheet on top of the cutting board, since it resides above the trash can) and I can scrape the scraps right into the trash can below.

But putting one of those rev-a shelf swing-up mixer shelves in there instead would also be a pretty neat idea.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:10 PM

4,212 posts, read 4,468,046 times
Storage for any of those items that clutter up your counter tops that you do not use with much frequency. Another would be those irregular things that don't store well in other spaces such as large cutting board, pot(s), roasters, trays, strainers, etc...
I have an underside of an island that functions like this for me and its nice to have a spot for those oddities because many do not stack or nest well, nor lend themselves to nesting / stacking.

I agree with you on the smell issue, as I have consistently used a circular foot actuated metal trash receptacle and it works best. I eat lots of produce so it still gets emptied 2-3 times a week.

An idea to combat the bad smells. I save up the remnants of those odor absorbing gels when they shrink to half dollar size remnants after 45-60 days, and I consolidate them into as many of the containers that will fit one layer at bottom of trash container. For the most part, my trash doesn't smell bad unless I have something nasty, but then I usually take those sort of items outside immediately.

An idea to make the existing 'trash' drawer converted to something else smell better - even after you clean it - and discontinue using it as trash receptacle. If you drink tea save the dried tea bags (I do this over the cold weather months) and place them in large plastic baggie (unsealed) and keep it in the drawer. I do this because I use the old tea bags as container gardening compost for the spring and at same time discovered it makes the underside of my kitchen island smell nice from all the various type of dried used tea bags which function as a desiccant.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:57 PM

14,255 posts, read 14,770,499 times
This is what I have.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rev-A-Sh...-212/207113761

It could easily be converted back to a standard cabinet by removing the slide out and replacing the hinges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House