Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 05:02 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,059,379 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm under contract for a ~50 acre lot. My buyer's agent who is used to much smaller lots put a successful perc test as a contingency but I am thinking of waiving that. Makes sense or no?

I am leaning towards waiving for the following reasons:
1. Still knee deep snow on the ground. Giving my cheap snowshoes a workout.
2. It is doubtful it is even locally legal to do it in the winter.
3. Other houses up and down the street and behind the property with almost identical soil survey results--https://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/...oilSurvey.aspx
4. Multiple potential build sites and I haven't decided on where. The test pits should theoretically be under the leach field location. Hard to do that if I don't know where I want the house.
5. In the unlikely event I can't find a place that can pass the perc test in the entire lot, there are alternate septic designs that I can throw money at.
99. I don't feel like dealing with it now.

So, given the fact that I don't know where I want a house, there are other not ancient houses with similar soil nearby, there are alternate building sites and/or septic system possibilities, does it make sense to waive the perc test contingency?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 07:11 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
If you are good with the real possibility of having to install some sort of alternative, more expensive waste containment/processing system......I would go for it.

Maybe get a fairly accurate price-estimate on the alternative system.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:00 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Depending on your specific geographic location, an alternative septic system would not be a deal breaker. If your percolation was really horrible due to dense clay or a high water table, your expense would entail having to purchase and truck in select material to be used in your field area and usually an expansion area, as required by the local health department.

It’s definitely an additional expense, however there are ways around dealing with problematic soil conditions.

Since there are other houses nearby, you would be able to determine the local soil conditions as well as the average depth and water recovery rates for drilled wells in that area. The local board of health department as well as local well drillers and septic system engineers would be able to provide you with accurate information as to what you will encounter with your septic and domestic water system in that area.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:06 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
50 acres is mid-sized?
LOL
We live on a 1/13 of an acre. In the big city.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:58 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
The mere fact that the present owner doesn’t/hasn’t have/had a prec test done already raises a red flag for me. Don’t care where it is- I’d just keep looking.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:11 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,059,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you are good with the real possibility of having to install some sort of alternative, more expensive waste containment/processing system......I would go for it.

Maybe get a fairly accurate price-estimate on the alternative system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Depending on your specific geographic location, an alternative septic system would not be a deal breaker. If your percolation was really horrible due to dense clay or a high water table, your expense would entail having to purchase and truck in select material to be used in your field area and usually an expansion area, as required by the local health department.

It’s definitely an additional expense, however there are ways around dealing with problematic soil conditions.

Since there are other houses nearby, you would be able to determine the local soil conditions as well as the average depth and water recovery rates for drilled wells in that area. The local board of health department as well as local well drillers and septic system engineers would be able to provide you with accurate information as to what you will encounter with your septic and domestic water system in that area.
All. Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem as most installers around there are used to being creative, but I know if I fall back to an alternate system it will add significant cost. It's only money.

Rickcin, yep, I've been double checking with water well records as well. While the records are spotty, it gives me a decent idea of average depth to bedrock, water table, total depth of wells, and a hugely varied GPM rate.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:03 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
50 acres is mid-sized?
LOL
We live on a 1/13 of an acre. In the big city.
But I bet you don't use a septic system either!

Old 03-11-2021, 03:40 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Never buy land that you plan on building a residence on without making passing a perk test a contingency of the purchase. ( unless there is sewer to the property line)

Old 03-11-2021, 03:41 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
But I bet you don't use a septic system either!
We have a magic pipe in the alley that sends our gray and black water to Nebraska.
All for $24.20/month

I do know about perc tests though.
1. My parents lived in MA with a septic system for 56 years.
2. My brother lives in the middle of nowhere NH.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:05 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Built my home in sw CO in 1980 and they wanted me to pay for a perc. test and I told them to stuff it as I knew it would fail.Just put in a tank and lagoon like everybody else no problem if you have land to spare.When in Rome as they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House