Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 11:10 AM

306 posts, read 203,389 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm in contract to buy a new construction home. It's a 4 bed, with both a finished attic and finished basement (the attic was an option which we decided to go with). The builder spec provides for two HVAC zones, one would control the first floor and basement, the second would control the second floor and attic.

We have the option of being able to have 'electronic dampener' installed. We can choose to have one or two installed, each one will give us an extra zone. i.e. if we get both, we'll have distinct zones for basement, first, second, attic.

The price is pretty steep, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. I gather that they basically intersect the HVAC pipe and allow independent control of the air flowing into the zone.

Does anyone have experience of using them? Are they effective? Our builder has said he thinks it would be most useful for the attic, but he's not really pushing us either way, but he needs to know soon. Any advice if they are worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 11:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Well, first of all they're "dampers" not "dampeners" unless you're trying to increase humidity.

Second, using complicated control systems and dampers in the ducts is a low cost way to try (probably usually unsuccessfully) to do what is done effectively and reliably with two systems.

I think zoning basement to 1st floor is unwise and I think zoning 2nd floor to attic is also unwise.

If this is a large house I'd probably have one central system for the 1st floor, a second central system for the 2nd floor, a split system for the basement and a window unit for AC in the attic (probably little if any heat needed up there). Could certainly be modified based on your climate (you haven't told us where) or house design. But trying to make one compressor unit and one evaporator serve the four different areas purely by diverting air flow differently strikes me as sacrificing quite a lot of performance for the dubious economy of having only one instead of two compressors and evaporators.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:42 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
Hi, I'm in contract to buy a new construction home. It's a 4 bed, with both a finished attic and finished basement (the attic was an option which we decided to go with). The builder spec provides for two HVAC zones, one would control the first floor and basement, the second would control the second floor and attic.

We have the option of being able to have 'electronic dampener' installed. We can choose to have one or two installed, each one will give us an extra zone. i.e. if we get both, we'll have distinct zones for basement, first, second, attic.

The price is pretty steep, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. I gather that they basically intersect the HVAC pipe and allow independent control of the air flowing into the zone.

Does anyone have experience of using them? Are they effective? Our builder has said he thinks it would be most useful for the attic, but he's not really pushing us either way, but he needs to know soon. Any advice if they are worth it?
With two systems in the configuration you describe- you don't need to "zone" the systems. As previously mentioned- if you had ONE system to heat and cool all four levels, then you would definitely need a zone system. Also, your geographic region can also play an important roll in your choice of systems and accessories.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:00 PM

306 posts, read 203,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, first of all they're "dampers" not "dampeners" unless you're trying to increase humidity.

Second, using complicated control systems and dampers in the ducts is a low cost way to try (probably usually unsuccessfully) to do what is done effectively and reliably with two systems.

I think zoning basement to 1st floor is unwise and I think zoning 2nd floor to attic is also unwise.

If this is a large house I'd probably have one central system for the 1st floor, a second central system for the 2nd floor, a split system for the basement and a window unit for AC in the attic (probably little if any heat needed up there). Could certainly be modified based on your climate (you haven't told us where) or house design. But trying to make one compressor unit and one evaporator serve the four different areas purely by diverting air flow differently strikes me as sacrificing quite a lot of performance for the dubious economy of having only one instead of two compressors and evaporators.
I think we do have two systems. One for basement/first, and another for second/attic. The question is do we want the ability to independently control each floor, and if we do that, the damper effectively splits each system into two zones. I could be wrong on that, I'll find out, but I'm pretty sure it's two systems.

We're in NJ, so very cold in the winter, horribly humid in the summer!

Old 04-13-2021, 02:24 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
If you're not routinely using the finished basement in the winter, then the damper would allow to set it independently so you're not heating all winter just because you have the heat turned up on the first floor.

So you'd have a bit of efficiency (savings on bills, and also faster results because the system is conditioning less total space), but tough to say this justifies the price tag.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:40 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
I think we do have two systems. One for basement/first, and another for second/attic. The question is do we want the ability to independently control each floor, and if we do that, the damper effectively splits each system into two zones. I could be wrong on that, I'll find out, but I'm pretty sure it's two systems.

We're in NJ, so very cold in the winter, horribly humid in the summer!

“Splitting” a system that is designed to cover TWO floors would surely tax the system as it’s designed. In other words, if one system is designed to have 8–10 registers, 3 returns, and runs at peak performance, why would you cut that supply in half? You can only push just so-much air through a specific line/register. Trying to squeeze more air through half the system can have a detrimental effect on the system.

You don’t need dampers for this house as you described the layout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House