Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:17 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,974 times

Advertisements

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Economic Stimulus = Home Improvements

Like most Americans, you may have been wondering what you can spend that eagerly-awaited economic stimulus on.
Some families are getting in those much needed home improvements that have been on their "Honey Do" lists for too long.

The amount of your stimulus check depends on the size of your family, so we have listed some ideas for home provements
based on a single persons stimulus amount, that of a married couple with out children, and that of a family of five.

If single, and eligible to receive the economic stimulus, you would or will receive $600 from the federal government.
For the average do-it-yourselfer, $600 could go a long way to improving your home. With that amount, you could add
a fresh coat of paint to a few rooms in your house, power-wash your deck, or you could buy mulch, fruit trees, and flowering
plants & shrubs to add curb appeal to the outside of your home.

Married couples are eligible for a $1,200 stimulus check, with which they can really spruce up their homes!
With $1,200, a young couple could buy or replace a large appliance, such as a refridgerator or a washer and dryer.
Every young wife deserves a washing machine and dryer! If home improvements are more your interest, $1,200
could help you replace uninteresting or out-dated lighting fixtures or ceiling fans - or maybe to buy a new front entry door.

Couples who have children qualify for an additional $300 per child under the government's stimulus plan. That means
that a family of five should receive $2,100 from the federal government, and that helps a lot toward expensive home
improvement projects, such as deck building. You could build a pretty nifty backyard playhouse for that amount, or maybe
your home needs a new roof. $2,100 may not pay for the entire re-roof, but it would take care of a large portion of that cost.
If you are one of those families who will receive a tax refund in addition to your stimulus, you're in good shape to really
improve your most important investment - your home.

Happy Memorial Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:42 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,816 times
We used our stimulus check to put in a paver patio.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:09 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,147 times
Many places also give you 10% extra if you use your rebate check there. Might as well get a little extra if you are deciding to spend that at a certain place.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:40 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Every young wife deserves a washing machine and dryer!
When was this written, 1955? Whoever wrote this deserves a boot to the head.

Not to mention that with $1,200 you could buy three new appliances if you spend wisely.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
When was this written, 1955? Whoever wrote this deserves a boot to the head.

Not to mention that with $1,200 you could buy three new appliances if you spend wisely.
You really don't wanna boot me in the head, do ya Ohiogirl81?
I am generalizing. The cost of things depends on your area. I know my fridge cost $1100, and my washer and dryer together only cost $500, but you can buy those new all in one washer/dryers for that amount of money, and the new front loads are about $600 a piece. I am just getting to the fact that with this "free" money, we can all do a little house pampering.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:16 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
Here in Texas, we're having a "Energy Star Tax Holiday" this weekend! You don't have to pay sales tax (8.5 percent here) on any appliance that is Energy Star rated, and that goes for the energy-efficient light bulbs, too!

I'm psyched -- I've had my eye on a ES-rated room air conditioner for my bedroom at Sears. Not only does it happen to be on sale this week, but I'll save the sales tax when I buy it tomorrow, too!

Front load washing machines are WORTH EVERY PENNY! I bought one last year and LOVE it! It does a great job washing the clothes and uses little water and electricity.

Yep, I am spending a bit of my refund and stimulus check on home improvement. I put in a resin paver patio, am getting my CAH system cleaned, and hiring landscapers to get rid of the grass (and weeds, LOL) in my front yard and plant a xeriscape groundcover. These things will save me work, water, and electricity.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:23 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,645,771 times
I think we will use our check for some extras around the house. Bought a few shrubs and a dwarf fruit tree. also, some home organization products..space bags and totes. we will also be going on a vacation.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:25 AM

136 posts, read 515,743 times
We used ours to get new windows.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:08 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Using ours to move. Then will come the home improvements the DW wants in the new place. I see a hot summer week-end laying out pavers for a new patio in my near future.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:13 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,911,521 times
I didn't plan to do it, but we just spent ours this weekend refurbishing the daughter's BR: New paint, bed, tv, etc. Wow, it adds up way too quickly!

Last edited by Stripes17; 05-26-2008 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House