Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by threerun View Post
for complete and utter annihilation of everything that moves *cues flight of the valkyries*;

call in an airstrike!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/threerun533/cropduster.jpg (broken link)
:d:d:d:d hysterical!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 06:44 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times
Default killing specific bugs

I am leaving in the morning to look at some houses in a small city about 2 hours away...kinda rural area, the particular house I am interested in, is on just under 2 acres, nice size house, mature trees around the house. I cannot tolerate fleas and ticks. I have 2 Maine Coons,and I know if this is where I move, the male, Bubba will want to be outside when I am, on the patio, in the hammock (2 beautiful oaks spaced just far enough apart!!!) planting around the house.

What can I treat outside with to annhilate the fleas and ticks. I know fire ants are a possibility and know what my dad uses...can't remember the name right now, but would recognize the bag... but the fleas and ticks I cannot handle. Suggestions?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:43 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
For 2 acres? You can do nothing except keep high grass down and maybe remove brushy plants near where you plan to spend most of your time (including the cats).

Better off to treat the animal, not bomb 2 acres.

Or you can call in that airstrike as I mentioned earlier.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
OK, thanks...well, since I already have enough friends and don't think bugs will be extinct or on the endangered list anytime soon (except in my backyard, hopefully), I'll try the Malethion...if that doesn't work I'll look for some Napalm. Thanks!
If you kill off spiders, you effectively let mosquitos, cockroaches, japanese beetles, etc, go untouched. There is NO POSSISBLE WAY to kill off every bug, dont waste your money/time trying. Rather, let them be. If theyre in your house, thats another thing, but if theyre outside, simply leave em be, theyre a FAR more effective tool in controlling the real pests than any spray or other harmful chemical.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbarium View Post
The non poisonous spiders will help keep away the poisonous spiders and control insects
ALL spiders are venomous. And no spiders keep other spiders away, they normally avoid one another and even set up camp to catch bugs just several feet apart. And seriously people, there are several thousand species of spiders on earth, only 5 are POTENTIALLY harmful to people. There is nothing to be afraid about!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Try neem Using Neem Insecticide - Seven Things You Must Know Before You Spray Neem (http://ezinearticles.com/?Using-Neem-Insecticide---Seven-Things-You-Must-Know-Before-You-Spray-Neem&id=1302601 - broken link)

Also look at your yard. Three things all bugs like: dark, moisture, food

Where can you lessen that?
Usually trimming the bottoms of your trees will help with the soil being really wet.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:16 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Meh- get some chickens. They'll eat every bug within their reach.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:08 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Meh- get some chickens. They'll eat every bug within their reach.
Ha, thanks everyone for the suggestions...pretty sure keeping chickens in my backyard would be against HOA rules, haha.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:24 PM

733 posts, read 4,654,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I am leaving in the morning to look at some houses in a small city about 2 hours away...kinda rural area, the particular house I am interested in, is on just under 2 acres, nice size house, mature trees around the house. I cannot tolerate fleas and ticks. I have 2 Maine Coons,and I know if this is where I move, the male, Bubba will want to be outside when I am, on the patio, in the hammock (2 beautiful oaks spaced just far enough apart!!!) planting around the house.

What can I treat outside with to annhilate the fleas and ticks. I know fire ants are a possibility and know what my dad uses...can't remember the name right now, but would recognize the bag... but the fleas and ticks I cannot handle. Suggestions?
A suggestion - don't move.

If you're going to be outside, particularly in a rural area, you're going to have bugs. Period. They are a fact of outdoor life and rural life. Make sure your screens fit tight. Treat your critters and use repellent yourself and you'll be fine. Like other posters have stated, trim the grass, don't have stagnant water around, etc. Trying to create a "dead zone" (1) won't work and (2) you'll be poisoning all kinds of useful things in your failed efforts.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:27 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I suggest getting one of those big plastic bubbles (I think Northern Exposure had someone living in one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House