Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:28 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I love old houses.

Get the inspection and some estimates on what needs done prior to putting in the offer so you can use those amounts as bargaining power. That is wise. Especially in this economy.

IMHO, home inspections are just a "formality" many times... and a waste of money.
Be sure to find your own inspectors and don't use anyone that your Realtor suggests. Ask around for "who the toughest is"... find out who is most knowledgable about older houses.

You might want to ask a restoration company if they can refer you to someone like that...

Gutters can mean more problems than just gutters.
I agree. Just remember ONLY a driller can check the well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 01:36 PM

629 posts, read 3,599,109 times
our home is 108 yrs old and passed a thourough inspection! Be prepared to spend money though! Ours had no attic insulation and still has no wall insulation. We want to redo the wiring and go with that new "flex" plumbing system, add a metel roof and replace several original windows that have been covered over the years..............the list goes on!

You will find alot of things to work on...........even if it has been maintained!

We love our home and enjoy working on it together! If you are handy and enjoy working with your hands ..........go for it! It's fun to see your hard work after you are finished!

Old 07-19-2008, 02:30 PM

254 posts, read 810,029 times
Wow, thanks for all the great posts. Looks like this may be the one. I am nervous but I love to renovate and this could be a great project for us! I just got back from the house ( I had to take doggie to see if he liked it) and of course he was in heaven with all the ground. The house has two porches and I can already envision my white wicker furniture on there. I know once the rugs are ripped up and the floors refininshed and the downstairs walls painted, it will already look like a totally different house. I will keep you updated! Thanks, again

Old 07-19-2008, 05:19 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbey View Post
Thanks guys. One more question? Can I get an inspectioin before I put an offer in? What do you think about the mud basement? Ooop that was 2 ?'s

Before we bought our home we lived in a house with a dirt cellar....it became a mold/mildew problem and at the time we never connected it but we had a lot of respratory(sp) illnesses and headaches. All that stopped when we moved.

You can put down a moisture barrier.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post

But in my opinion I would much rather buy a well built older home with issues, than a new chipboard and vinyl suburban shack.
Tell me about it. I built my house just a few years ago and you wouldn't believe how expensive it was for me to build it the right way. Luckly I was able to get a very reputable builder. There are so many builders out there these days that just don't know what they are doing. The most expensive part is just making sure that it is done the right way. No hollow doors or vinyl floors in this house. lol

Old 07-19-2008, 10:52 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Old houses are good, but always get a grumpy old handyman to look it over and tell you what it needs. A certified inspector is a good thing, but the guy who does that kind of work on a regular basis can see all the little things that lead to big things. He'll also know how much you'll need to expect in costs and time to do the job right.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:05 AM

733 posts, read 4,654,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Old houses are good, but always get a grumpy old handyman to look it over and tell you what it needs. A certified inspector is a good thing, but the guy who does that kind of work on a regular basis can see all the little things that lead to big things. He'll also know how much you'll need to expect in costs and time to do the job right.
"Grumpy old handyman." I know exactly the fellow you're talking about! Also, to be certain of his capabilities make sure he drives an old pickup truck from the 1960s and and carries a folding wooden carpenter's rule in the side pocket of his bib overalls!

We've never owned a home that was less than 60 years old, and several - including the current one - that were pushing or past 100. Remember - there are old houses that are complete pieces of crap. Just because they are old doesn't necessarily mean they were well built. Some builders cut corners and did shoddy work a century ago. There were unskilled "do it yourself" folks then as well. Some quality old houses have been inartfully cobbled up beyond salvation.

However, there are also old houses which are neglected gems, built with care and quality that has gone unappreciated in our toss-it-out consumer society. That, hopefully, is what you're looking at.

Find an inspector or a handyman who really knows old houses. I see too many inspectors who are either (a) completely lacking in hands-on, realistic, building and renovation experience or (b) failed or "slowing down" building contractors who look at an inspection as if they were estimating every possible repair job. In old - OK antique houses - there is almost an infinite opportunity to repair and rework things. An experienced "old house inspector" is able to differentiate between fundamental problems that seriously undermine the safety and value of the structure and routine comfort or cosmetic work that inevitably may be necessary, but is not fundamentally required for occupancy/safety. His or her report should reflect that differentiation between "musts," "shoulds," "would be nices," and "no big deals."

Good luck! If you're really old house material you're going to absolutely love living and working in an ongoing project - every weekend will be a new and exciting project!

Last edited by windtimber; 07-20-2008 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: A couple minor typos.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:13 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
In 2001, I bought a home that was 96 years old. It was a beautiful home structurally but it needed a LOT of renovation. At the time, I thought "how hard can it be?" and later found out that it can be a LOT of hard work indeed.

We gutted the kitchen, refinished the beautiful wood floors, replaced both bathrooms, replaced the wiring, replaced the plumbing, sealed the basement, insulated the attic, repaired the slate roof, repaired plaster cracks, replaced all the kitchen cabinets and appliances, replaced the old leaky windows, etc etc

I had a home inspection before I bought the house and the inspector missed quite a few problems. On the other hand, I knew very well that I was buying an old dwelling with issues. Bottom line is, I spent as much on the renovations as I did for the purchase of the house ($110,000 each). The end result was a stunning, beautiful house which was the pride of the already beautiful neighborhood.

When I decided to transfer to another city, I put the home on the market and the very first person who looked at the house bought it for $310,000. So all the hard work and money was worth it. I dont mean to be negative about your purchase, just want you to know that sometimes one thing leads to another when you renovate. On the other hand, an older home can be far more rewarding than a new one. Mine sure was! GOOD LUCK!!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:26 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times
Go ahead and put in an offer if you want, but have it contingent on a home inspection.
Make SURE it is done by a qualified ASHI home inspector. Not all home inspectors are alike. Many will also check for Radon....good idea.

A good ASHI home inspection will take at least 2-3+ hours. you will get a full report with pictures, etc, outlining any concerns.

As to the well and septic, up here the county health dept by code checks these before any sale. If that does not happen there, have them checked professionally.

You pay a realtor thousands to find a house....why would you not pay less then $300 for an inspection that could be priceless?? Many times the things a home inspector finds can help bring the bottom line price down anyway.

Frank D.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:36 AM

254 posts, read 810,029 times
On the disclosure report it lists a new roof being put on in 06 and three shingles replaced in 07 due to leakage. That is what scares me. I don't want to buy a house and then put a new roof on. I know the home inspector will tell me that. Getting a cranky old handyman is a great idea. Do you think if I list for one on "Craig's List" I'll get a reply? lol! They had a new oil tank put in last year. I have never had oil heat but hear it's expensive. It is in a town where most of the properties are 250k or more. I fiqure if I can get it for 170k and it's on 3/4 of an acre, after some work the property will definitley go up in value after a few years, depending on the housing market that is..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House