Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times

Advertisements

Smart Key Versus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 09:20 PM

851 posts, read 3,625,620 times
Just FYI, most, probably all locks, sold in Lowes or Home Depot are garbage if used as perimeter entry door locks. Almost anybody with a handheld drill can drill those out in under 0.5-1 min while making minimal noise.

Personally I wouldn't bother with re-keying; I would rather replace them with good locks which would cost $100/each. If you move, put the old locks back and take the new ones with you.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:53 AM

392 posts, read 1,374,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Just FYI, most, probably all locks, sold in Lowes or Home Depot are garbage if used as perimeter entry door locks. Almost anybody with a handheld drill can drill those out in under 0.5-1 min while making minimal noise.
Where do you recommend getting locks from that are not garbage?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:03 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post

Personally I wouldn't bother with re-keying; I would rather replace them with good locks which would cost $100/each. If you move, put the old locks back and take the new ones with you.
I would add that when someone kicks a door in, the lock isn't what breaks. Regardless of whether or not it was a $30 Kwikset or a fancy and expensive custom job, the doorjamb is the weakest link.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I would add that when someone kicks a door in, the lock isn't what breaks. Regardless of whether or not it was a $30 Kwikset or a fancy and expensive custom job, the doorjamb is the weakest link.
You are absolutely right. If you want to do things right like buying good locks etc, it's better spending the money to get doorjamb etc fixed too; otherwise save your money and pretend to be happy.

Last edited by TheStupid; 10-05-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavs View Post
Where do you recommend getting locks from that are not garbage?
For deadbolt and keyed (cylinder) locks:

Medeco makes the top of the line and absolutely the best locks. Schlage makes some too but only some top models (UL rated), not those Schlage sold at Home Depot.

Both have key control meaning if someone get hold of your key, no legit locksmith would copy one for them because 1) they don't have the blank keys and 2) jail time.

All non-UL rated locks are more or less the same. Their prices can run between $15-$250, but they are still the same - protection wise.

Like Jim pointed out, security is as secure as the weakest link. If you have the best lock, but your door is secured by 1 inch screws dug into pine wood, it means nothing; if you door&frame is made of super steel but you constantly leave window up and security alarm off, it means nothing either.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:01 AM

391 posts, read 1,708,342 times
the key to lowes is that in order for them to key they have to have all the original keys in order to unlock the locks and rekey to the new one. and my lowes on rekeys Schlage and Kwikset. Not sure if that is the case for all Lowes

Old 12-06-2009, 12:09 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
One rental home I have has 6 outside doors with 12 locks

I decided to try Kwikset smart key system... re-keying the lock takes about 20 seconds and the lock stays in the door... nothing to remove.

If it works out well... I may eventually go this route on the other rentals...

No matter how you look at it... re-keying 12 locks is a chore... so hopefully the claims made by kwikset are accurate...

By the way... the lock is only one part of a secure door...

Good locks require substantial doors and solid secure jambs... locks are the easiest to replace so I prefer it to be the weak link...

Another point is double cylinder deadbolts provide much more security and are touted by my local police department for commercial buildings...

Double Cylinder Deadbolts (Lock with a key of both sides) are no longer allowed here for residential property because of the risk they pose in the event they are locked and a fire occurs...

Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 16,332 times
Have you used SecureKey - the re-keyable lock? No locksmith required! You can do the re-keying yourself, at any time. I'd love to hear opinions (full disclosure: I work with Schlage) if you have used it.

*** MOD CUT ***

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-06-2010 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Sorry, must have more than 10 posts to post links

Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Kwik-Set also has a easy re-key system... So far so good. It's been less than a year so I cannot yet say if these locks will stand the test of time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House