Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

PS=I'm assuming I can go to HD/Lowes and just get the new bolts and replace myself??
Try to get the 100% brass bolts if you want it to last for years...

I've had bad luck with Brass Plated bolts lasting only a couple of years... might be due the water we have here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
i also have learned do not put anything in the tank. It eats the rubber etc. what I now do is get the toilet cleaner, and just put it in the toilet, not the tank. I also did think
wonderfull?

Old 09-07-2008, 06:10 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Like others have said, bleach is not something you put in the toilet tank, it eats the parts. It doesn't eat the bolts, it eats the seals.

Since I have never seen them, Do they say to put the tablets in the toilet tank????
yes they do, and the blue is so pretty, till you rot out, the rubber etc.
therefore, why do thet sell this! I also fell for it.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 990 times
We are in a hotel for 3/mos. while our house is being restored after our master bath toilet bolt rusted through and our house was flooded. $28K damage after 2 hrs of water running. We had the house built in 2003. Three toilets in our house, all with Crane toilets. We checked the other toilets after this disaster, and found them all to be very rusted. One was dripping on the floor. Heads up!

Old 11-30-2014, 03:05 PM

276 posts, read 338,352 times
Quote:
Do you really think they are that strong that they could eat the copper bolts???
No, not as fast as you say. The bolts aren't copper, not that that matters much.

Something sounds fishy. If the bolts are corroded through you can look in the tank and see them. Are they?

If they are, the water will be running out the tank still (if the water is on).

As for the comments about eating the plastic parts, think about what Clorox chlorine bleach comes in. A plastic jug and it can sit in that jug on a shelf for twenty years. It's also much, much, much stronger concentration than the Clorox toilet tablets.

I'm not saying they cant do damage to some parts of the toilet. Just not as fast as the OP said.

You would surely get dripping for a long time before an all out flood. I'd suspect it was assembled incorrectly.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:34 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Hmm, it seems to me, that if you're doing a major renovation or new construction a floor drain in the bathroom might be a good thing to have. Toilet tank gives out and you'll dump a lot of water down the drain, but that's all that would happen. Same thing if water from the tub splashed all over the floor. With a waterproof flooring, you'd be able to squeegee the floor clean, too. Commercial kitchens always have a waterproof floor and floor drain so it's non-floodable and easy to clean. Why not the same system for a residential bath?

Old 12-01-2014, 10:01 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default One big reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Hmm, it seems to me, that if you're doing a major renovation or new construction a floor drain in the bathroom might be a good thing to have. Toilet tank gives out and you'll dump a lot of water down the drain, but that's all that would happen. Same thing if water from the tub splashed all over the floor. With a waterproof flooring, you'd be able to squeegee the floor clean, too. Commercial kitchens always have a waterproof floor and floor drain so it's non-floodable and easy to clean. Why not the same system for a residential bath?
Commercial facilities have a janitorial crew come through with buckets and mops several times. In a home the trap for the floor drain would dry out and sewer gases would fill the room. Not good.

BTW the "toilet tablets" are hundreds of times more concentrated than any bleach that comes "ready to use" in a bottle -- those super-oxiding pellets are more like the stuff that they dump into commercial swimming pools to keep the bacterial count manageable. The difference is in a pool they are also adding thousands of gallons of water to keep things diluted while in an infrequently used toilet that might not get flushed for several days the concentration of oxiding compounds is off the charts. I have seen the actual flange get compromised. A professional plumber will need to replace that!

A brush and a bit of sanitizing liquid every few days is the way to go...

Lysol Advanced Deep Cleaning Power... | OfficeSupply.com

simplehuman | black toilet cleaning brush

Old 12-01-2014, 10:32 AM

276 posts, read 338,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
BTW the "toilet tablets" are hundreds of times more concentrated than any bleach that comes "ready to use" in a bottle
From the Clorox company FAQ regarding a pet drinking from the toilet bowl...

https://www.clorox.com/products/clor...-bowl-cleaner/

Q. Will Clorox® Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach harm my pets if they drink the toilet bowl water?

A. Incidental bowl water ingestion from a toilet cleaned with the product should not be a problem. However, it is not recommended that toilet water be used as a source of drinking water for pets.

So your suggesting that if I were to make my dog drink an Incidental amount of Clorox bleach that I use for the laundry, straight from the jug, It would not harm him because it's hundreds of times less concentrated than water from a toilet using one of these tablets?

Last edited by Neosec; 12-01-2014 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 12-01-2014, 11:02 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"So your suggesting that if I were to make my dog drink an Incidental amount of Clorox bleach that I use for the laundry, straight from the jug, It would not harm him because it's hundreds of times less concentrated than water from a toilet using one of these tablets?"

LOL! I use laundry bleach straight from the jug, poured into our cistern to make the water safe, so yes, I drink bleach regularly, and I'm still alive after years of doing it.

Chet is right. The (stupid) idea of tank and bowl lozenges is that the unit will be flushed often enough that the concentration won't build up and the concentration can get to levels comparable or even greater than laundry bleach. The difference in concentration doesn't mean STRAIGHT bleach is safe to drink. (FWIW, this is an OLD thread)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House