Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:44 PM

65 posts, read 523,748 times

Advertisements

Thanks to you all for replying. I am eligible for USAA, however, they told me they will not cover a home in a possible wildfire area. I live in the mountains of Southern California, with lots of trees, (fairly rural.) It seems there are LOTS of companies that won't insure if they think fire is a danger, or if there is not a fire hydrant really close, or a fire department within 5 miles of the house. In rural areas, it seems to be much harder to get coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,246 times
contact an independent agent that can shop several carriers. do you have a pond near? fire departments can use this water

Old 11-11-2009, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,246 times
storm surge made the losses covered.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,700,675 times
Not in SoCa, but highly recommend Farmers for both car and home. We've had them for years, we have a great agent and our claims (when we have them) are always taken care of quickly and efficiently. Our biggest claim comes from hailstorms (common here) and they get on it almost before we even call.

Agents, more than the company itself, can mean the difference between a good experience and a suicide-inducing one. Our agent is outstanding, always lays out our terms, makes himself available if we have questions and always keeps us informed of new products or services; never badgers us. We could not be happier.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Not in SoCa, but highly recommend Farmers for both car and home. We've had them for years, we have a great agent and our claims (when we have them) are always taken care of quickly and efficiently. Our biggest claim comes from hailstorms (common here) and they get on it almost before we even call.

Agents, more than the company itself, can mean the difference between a good experience and a suicide-inducing one. Our agent is outstanding, always lays out our terms, makes himself available if we have questions and always keeps us informed of new products or services; never badgers us. We could not be happier.
I have several friends that have Farmer's and have had nothing but problems with them. One friend had OBVIOUS hail damage on their roof, had 3 different contractors out to look at it, 3 separate appraisers from Farmer's out-2 of the appraisers even said they needed a new roof AND siding and Farmer's denied the claim. Our neighbors have huge pits in their roof from hail and I have seen Farmer's out at least 2 times and they still say there is no damage. I can see the damage from the ground. Sorry, I would never go with Farmers.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Farmers was one of the best in the hurricane areas.Wait until you deal with all sate or one of those porl;y funded dsmall companies that bascailly declare bankrupsy to avoid claims.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:10 AM

246 posts, read 1,355,583 times
Have a friend who worked at 21st Century insurance as an adjuster and she and her husband would get their insurnace (home + auto) through Wawanesa. I used to have Wawanesa and they were pretty good. She also told me most of the insurance folks that work at 21st century insurance got their insurance through Wawanesa.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
When my wife and I bought our first home many years ago, we went with what a broker recommended, State Auto. We had a lightning strike take out damn near every electrical device in our home, so we made a claim. They paid- then dropped us.

I went to a local State Farm agent (who had our auto policy) and they picked us up (at a more affordable rate than was with State Auto). We've been with them ever since. I've rate shopped once since then, but no one could beat them, and for the years of service and attention I've received- I doubt I would swap anyway.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
We have State Farm, and I can tell you that they are nto the best. Not the worst either. I have read that Chubb is supposed ot be pretty good, but they are expensive. Cheapest is not always the best deal. Look at the exclusions carefully. If you ever have a claim, you will be surprised to learn that almost nothing is covered. (Unless your house burns down in a forest fire)

Mercury seems to be the cheapest for car insurance. That may vary depending on your record and number of young drivers.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:26 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Has anyone use AAA for auto and home insurance? I currently have them but since I have not have to file a claim, I don't know how good they really are.

When I lived in So. Cal., Mercury and 21st century are the lowest premium for car insurance. But 21st Century would not insure my house in Thousand Oaks because it's too close to the mountains and is considered a fire-hazard area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House