Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 05:08 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

We have to redo a hall bath in our 1970s ranch. This bathroom serves three boys who sometimes shower 5 times per day.

It has a bathtub/shower combo, and since it is in great condition and the only tub in the house, we want to keep it. However, the boys all hate the current shower curtain set-up.

Are there any new/better solutions for a bathtub shower door than the sliding glass doors on a track?

I have always found those tracks very hard to keep clean, and just was hoping for something easier to clean that also keeps water from leaking out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Do you think your boys would like a little extra space in the shower with a curved shower curtain rod?

I purchased one similar to this one and installed it in my guest bathroom. Amazon.com: 5 ft. Curved Shower Rod - Polished Stainless Steel: Home & Kitchen

Old 07-11-2012, 07:09 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
or you might consider a bathtub shower screen. Amazon.com: Frameless Bathtub Shower Screen, Swing Door, 70 X 33.5, 5/16 (8mm) Glass, White Hinge. Model 7008WPS: Home & Kitchen

Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I should have already installed a curved rod. It does make a difference, space-wise. I just haven't because we've been capitulating about this whole project. I like the shower curtain because I an add color to the room and I can just change out the vinyl liner when it starts to get gross.

I also like the idea of the swing door/screen, but one kid, no matter what we say or do, manages to bring half the water out of the shower with him. Does anyone have experience with how they keep water off the floor?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
These look interesting, and no gunky tracks to clean:

Gallery of Showerman Custom Frameless Shower & Tub Enclosures then click on "For Your Tub"

I have no knowledge of, or connection with, this firm.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
There is a european design that is a non-movable piece of glass that installs along the about 1/2 the edge of a bathtub to the wall thus making a no splash out shower out of it. I do not think my description is doing it justice.

Google Aqualux, UK, curved bath screens. I am most interested in them myself. I even considered making one out of a small shower door. The Aqualux half frame one interests me the most.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I should have already installed a curved rod. It does make a difference, space-wise. I just haven't because we've been capitulating about this whole project. I like the shower curtain because I an add color to the room and I can just change out the vinyl liner when it starts to get gross.

I also like the idea of the swing door/screen, but one kid, no matter what we say or do, manages to bring half the water out of the shower with him. Does anyone have experience with how they keep water off the floor?

Believe it or not, the curved rod does help keep water from leaving the tub area. When we had a straight rod, about half the time we'd get a puddle at one corner of the tub. With the curved rod, that about stopped as long as the curtain was fully closed. As for other methods of keeping water off the floor, you can leave a towel there to soak it up before it spreads, changing it every day.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 PM

491 posts, read 2,289,974 times
I like those curved rods - they add so much visual space for the user. Also, I dislike glass doors on a tub. Makes it hard to clean the tub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House