Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:14 AM

894 posts, read 4,352,316 times

Advertisements

We are about to remodel our master and guest baths. I LOVE big showers. The contractor said to put in a frameless shower door, but I have heard that they leak and the thought of all that glass and the cleaning of them is daunting. He said the new ones are great...anybody have any opinions on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 06:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times
The framed doors can leak too. I think there are real advantages to the frameless ones, mainly that they don't have the frame to stop the water and build up the mildew. Cleaning the doors is a pain. I know a lot of people that use marine wax (car wax for boats) to keep the maintenance down. You want to make sure you have soft water in the house and if you wipe them down with a towel or squeegee after every use the care is much easier.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:35 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,381,820 times
We just did a major remodel of our bathroom and got frameless shower doors. The key is to spray the glass with Rain-x and use a squeegee.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:40 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,026,478 times
ready2move,

if you're doing the remodel to help sell your home then frameless is a better way to go (resale value). if it's not the case i have to say i have shower doors and i hate cleaning them. they don't leak but i hate cleaning them.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:33 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,333,880 times
I hate them too so I got rid of mine. One way to make cleaning a ittle easier is to oil them with lemon oil or WD40 or whatever. The oil makes them shine and it keeps stuff from sticking. You can do the tub sides or the shower walls if theyre fiberglass.. Just dont get it on the floor or youll fall on your butt.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:50 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,243,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
We are about to remodel our master and guest baths. I LOVE big showers. The contractor said to put in a frameless shower door, but I have heard that they leak and the thought of all that glass and the cleaning of them is daunting. He said the new ones are great...anybody have any opinions on them?
Maybe your contractor is talking about water-repellent glass? It's becoming more and more popular here because it is absolutely maintenance free. It's a bit pricey but worth the money.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:48 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,381,820 times
My frameless is being installed on Monday. I haven't heard about the leaking - that should be an easy remedy. Keeping them spotless -- I will get back with you on that. I forget what my installer recommends - one company suggested I use Rain-X.

I am so looking forward to my shower door and FINALLY taking a shower in our totally remodeled master bath. Good luck with your remodel.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:02 AM

894 posts, read 4,352,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I am so looking forward to my shower door and FINALLY taking a shower in our totally remodeled master bath. Good luck with your remodel.
I am so envious that your bathroom is ready---heck we are still trying to find a contractor that will actually give us an estimate. They come out, take measurements, discuss, then bam never to be heard from again. **mental note, check breath and deodorant before next contractor comes* LOL

Old 02-25-2008, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 11,183 times
haha well if you're having trouble finding an estimate, i'd suggest going to Remodeling Guru - Residential General Contractor, Remodeling Contractor, Kitchens, Baths, Windows, Siding, Additions and More You can actually just type in what you want to remodel, your square footage, city, etc and it will give you a rough estimate with their estimator calculator. saves the pain of waiting for contractors to come out an estimate. This site also has contractors that come out , and that will actually call you back again haha. i used them recently to remodel my basement. check them out and let me know how it works out!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:48 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,112,129 times
Why do you want doors at all? All that constant cleaning and potential mold - eeeyew! Just install a shower rod (they come in nice decorator types) and put up a high-quality water repellent cloth curtain, such as nylon or polyester. Take it down once a week and throw it in the wash.
You can even special order the sizes & fabrics for a beautiful custom look.

Last edited by Boomerang; 02-25-2008 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House