Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 36,609 times

Advertisements

Forgive me for my ignorance, but i wanted to know if we need to do an inspection of a new home ?
We have decided to buy a new Perry Home in the cinco ranch and are wondering if we need to do the inspection, our realtor said that we can skip that as it is a new home and anyways Perry gives a 2 year warranty and we can report anything during those 2 years.

Let me know your thoughts ..
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
YES! Most definately. I would never buy a home without one.

A new tract homes can be in just as bad shape as an older home depending on the crew, the quality of the wood and concrete...the wiring could be inferior,etc.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 AM

50 posts, read 185,831 times
You ABSOLUTELY need to do an inspection of a new home. It is well worth the $350-$450 dollars. We just bought an new home in Telfair, and our inspector found at least 15-20 valid points of repair. The builder agreed to repair all of those things prior to closing. Granted - you would hope there is nothing wrong with an new house, but you never know these days... PM me if you would like the name of an inspector I used.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:59 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,901 times
YES YES YES and YES! Never ever forgo a home inspection! Just because it is new means nothing. When we were building our home we were actually told to give it back by the inspector in oh so many words. He said" I would not buy this home for myself." So we gave it back and built from scratch again. Your home is already built but still inspect it!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:25 AM

551 posts, read 2,726,393 times
Also, you should seriously consider doing a second inspection, a month or two before your warranty expires.

Keep in mind that most new home warranties are only 1 year for everything, and 2 years for major appliances (if provided by the builder). Some builders even include longer periods for the building structure. You might want to verify this with your sales person/builder.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:53 PM

15 posts, read 115,552 times
Required by the state of Texas on all new homes and remodeling over $10,000 or that change the square footage of the house:

1-year workmanship and materials warranty;
2-year mechanical delivery systems warranty;
10-year structural warranty; and a
10-year warranty of habitability.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Absolutely get an inspection on a new home! You'd be surprised the things that turn up. As I tell my clients, "Even the best builder can have a workman come to work one day with a hangover or having had a fight with the spouse or worried about the kids and without their full attention on that day's work, builders being, after all, human just like the rest of us, and something might not be done to the best of their ability that day."

Get the inspection.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:57 PM

433 posts, read 1,770,031 times
Yes!!!! We just bought a brand new home a couple of months ago and they found some things. Nothing major but there were cosmetic things that are not under warranty as soon as you sign those papers. Builders make mistakes and they don't necessarily do the greatest work all of the time. There could even be something major wrong with the house. You are better off to find out all at once what needs to be fixed and get it fixed than find it on your own. Believe me there are things that I have needed done by the builder that I have had to call about several times to get them out here. It is a real pain!

Inspections aren't that expensive and they are worth every penny.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:06 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nish17 View Post
Forgive me for my ignorance, but i wanted to know if we need to do an inspection of a new home ?
We have decided to buy a new Perry Home in the cinco ranch and are wondering if we need to do the inspection, our realtor said that we can skip that as it is a new home and anyways Perry gives a 2 year warranty and we can report anything during those 2 years.

Let me know your thoughts ..
Thanks
The requirement for a home inspection is based on the state you are purchasing your new property in. With a new home in my state it is
not a requirement, so it is up to the buyer (wise to do such), plus new
propertys' normally have at least a 12 month warranty for deficiencies to
cover issues on the property .....Pay a little now and save a lot later..Congratulations on your new purchase..

Old 05-15-2009, 09:06 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
I don't think it's a "requirement" in any State to do a home inspection on any house.
That said, I think it would be very foolish to buy a new home (or any home for that matter) without having one.
I know I have covered this before, but here are just a few things I found in new construction. By the way, all the builders offer a warranty of some sort.
1. Chimney flue that did NOT go thru the roof.
2. Live electrical wires in a kitchen base cabinet. My clients kids were crawling all over and inside and out, and had not reached this one when I found it. It was "only" 240 volts on a 40 amp breaker. The breaker would have tripped at some point I guess.
3. So many disconnected pipes I can't count them. Leaking both fresh and waste water.
4. A whirlpool tub that had a lose connection on the pump, so when it was tested, it drained a lot of water into the ceiling below. (This has alos happened more times that I care to count).
5. Parts of the roof where there were no shingles.
6. So many cut floor joists I lost count at hundreds.

Keep in mind that almost all of these houses were "passed" by the local building dept.

Get an inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House