Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 AM

77 posts, read 469,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd be freaked out having a monitored system.

I've heard stories about ease dropping for employers. Scary stuff.

Never, never, never install an alarm system offered as a benefit through an employer

Have you been watching the firm or something???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
We hired a security consultant when we lived in a somewhat edgy city. He told us the most evvective is the sign. The second most effective is the alarm. The third is the monitoring. In most cases the bad guys will be long gone beofe the monitoring does anything for you. The screaming alarm is going to keep them from staying very long. The montioriing ensures that you get a quick response to fill out the police report for your insurance company.

They must have monitoring that calls your cell phone. I wudl like that better.

The one time we had a real event, the monitoring company called the police. The police went to the house and walked around it. They saw a window open upstairs, but they would not go near the house because they saw our huge dogs inside. They finally left, since they coud see nothing inside and the dogs were barking at them. I guess they figure anyone who tried to break in was either scred off or already eaten by the dogs. We were on vacation so the alarm blared for an hour and then reset.

Turned out the kid who was taking care of our dogs forgot the alarm. When it went off, he just hid. The dogs were barking at the alarm, not at him, they knew him. He was embarrassed and did not want to tell them what happened. After the police left, he called his mom and had her get the alarm code which he had left on his desk and he shut the system off. He got in touch with us before the monitoring company and the police did.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:57 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,104,813 times
I've had a good alarm system for years and it includes smoke/fire and CO detection and the little doo dad that you can wear around your neck and press to activate a police or medical call. The system can also be set for at-home, with motion detectors working only in certain zones at my option. Lots more cool options. Since I live alone in a large house near the Mexican border it gives me some peace of mind - or at least enough warning to run and grab the 12 gauge!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,865,618 times
I have a large doggy door, and people have asked me if I am afraid that someone will gain access through the doggy door. I figure that someone wanting to break in will be thinking about the big dog in the house, and then go elsewhere.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,678,032 times
I believe lights and noise will scare burglars away so no monitoring needed. If not monitored, be sure the system resets itself if it goes off when nobody is home.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:22 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,104,813 times
Keep in mind a monitored system will reduce your house insurance by 10% at least and that, for me, covers the cost of about 6 months of monitoring.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,458,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I have a large doggy door, and people have asked me if I am afraid that someone will gain access through the doggy door. I figure that someone wanting to break in will be thinking about the big dog in the house, and then go elsewhere.

A large doggie door often doesnt deter burglars these days.

My sister wanted to put in a large doggie door but was worried about someone gaining entry to her house through it. I suggested that she attach a doghouse to the exterior of the house where the doggie door was located. The dog would go through the doghouse to access the doggie door -- and no one would know there was a doggie door there.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,453,690 times
Well, here is what I did (I live out in the sticks, with only a few neighbors, and their houses have been robbed).

It really is not that expensive to set up a system, if you are a DIY'er.

First the basics:
ADT sign (got at a yard sale)
Large metal "Guard Dog working. Do Not Enter" sign from Gemplers
Four motion-sensing cameras, with DVR from PartsExpress. DVR is very well hidden. Since the system is network-based (all my utilities are underground, so the lines can't be cut). 48-hour backup battery, though the house generator obviates that. I get an email/live video to my cell phone, when it is activated.
So I get a few things:
1). indication that something is happening
2). Recorded and live video of the activity
3). The choice whether or not to call the police.
4). I can VPN into the home network and look at anything (equipment is also on backup power)

I could have gone with the option of cell-phone to cell-phone notification, but that starts getting expensive.

(All of this can be done if I am anywhere on the planet)

Old 04-07-2013, 03:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,102,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Well, here is what I did (I live out in the sticks, with only a few neighbors, and their houses have been robbed).

It really is not that expensive to set up a system, if you are a DIY'er.

First the basics:
ADT sign (got at a yard sale)
Large metal "Guard Dog working. Do Not Enter" sign from Gemplers
Four motion-sensing cameras, with DVR from PartsExpress. DVR is very well hidden. Since the system is network-based (all my utilities are underground, so the lines can't be cut). 48-hour backup battery, though the house generator obviates that. I get an email/live video to my cell phone, when it is activated.
So I get a few things:
1). indication that something is happening
2). Recorded and live video of the activity
3). The choice whether or not to call the police.
4). I can VPN into the home network and look at anything (equipment is also on backup power)

I could have gone with the option of cell-phone to cell-phone notification, but that starts getting expensive.

(All of this can be done if I am anywhere on the planet)
That all sounds great. Could you be more specific about how you accomplished all of that, it would be very helpful. Thanks... R

Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 PM

563 posts, read 1,788,928 times
imo, monitoring is just for piece of mind for those that can afford it. If someone really wants to get into your house, they will, alarm or no alarm. Pros know all the tricks. Otherwise the audible or sign is enough to make a burglar move on to the next house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House