Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubandwif View Post
First, sorry for the long post! I built my house in 1986 in a residential neighborhood in Northern Virginia with houses now ranging from $700- $900K. It is a white Williamsburg Colonial with full front porch, brick red shutters and garage doors, side-load garage, cedar shake roof, hand-made brick walks and patio with over a hundred mature American and English boxwoods and surrounded by 100' shade trees. Inside I have 10'-18" hand-nailed antique white pine floors, cherry kitchen cupboards and, as appropriate to the room, either and /or medium brown stained beams, 5" crown molding, chair rail, 5" base, 6 over 8 windows, 3 solid pine 6 panel pocket doors and exterior doors, side-lights and surrounds.

One realtor with experience in the area advised us to paint over the stained woodwork, because potential 30-40 year old buyers generally like Pottery Barn decor, e.g. cottage, shabby chic off-whites. I and my wife are very reluctant to do so, because A. Anybody who would like the exterior would LOVE the interior, B. It's harder to remove paint than it is to paint, and C. the woodwork has more inherent value (we paid $20K for it). I KNOW that what we paid is irrelevant to it's actual value, and that tastes have changed and different strokes, etc. but I'd really appreciate a little community dialog, NOT on what is nicer - but "What will help the house sell" next March 2010? I've been told men like stain, women like paint, , but are we just better off going with the realtor's suggestion or should we try to market to those who love true colonial style? All carpets and wall colors are neutral. Thanks SO much in advance!!! John and Jane
In my state people pay a premium for stained wood mouldings. I would save the work and leave it be. That's my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:42 AM

186 posts, read 794,416 times
Your house sounds lovely....but the stained woodwork would be a turn-off for me unless it's extraordinarily beautiful wood. Pine trim is a bit too ordinary. Your realtor's suggestion might be right on the mark but it'd be a lot of work to paint, and if I were a buyer, I'd take that into consideration in my offer. Do the sold comps give you any idea of what, if any, difference it would make to paint the trim?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:10 AM

23 posts, read 53,829 times
I live in Williamsburg and have a center hall colonial. The whole house use to have all stained woodwork, jacobean. I painted the formal rooms, entrance hall, living and dining room. I too love the stain woodwork, but I think painted woodwork makes the room look more formal. I justed took down wallpaper and put in a white wainscoting in the entrance hall and it;s beautiful. Now I am going to paint the stain woodwork in the upstairs hallway. I am doing this only because the new color with the stain woodwork doesn't look as beautiful as downstain. I am NOT painting the stained doors only the door trim and baseboards. I did this in the dining room and it's beautiful. I amreally painting the hallway too to brighten it up.

My neighbors who have sold their houses have had to paint over the stain before it sold. I am NOT painting an yother woodwork in the house. It's too difficult to keep up and I want an easy life not a slave to the house. Plus when I built it cost a fortune.

Put the house on the market and wait for feed back. Then if painted woodwork becomes an issue work through that either paint it or, offer money to do so.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
As an architect, I say don't do it. Keep the stained trim. If the new owner wants to paint it, its not that expensive for them to do. I can't imagine it being an issue in buying a house or not.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:49 PM

45,350 posts, read 60,534,984 times
I can see painted wood in a house that shouldn't have it being an issue, though.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
I personally do not care for stained woodwork but in saying that I would not paint the woodwork to sell the house. As soon as you do it, someone will come through and be upset that you did. I have sold many homes and discovered you cant make everyone happy. See how your showings go, if it is a constant complaint that the woodwork looks dated then revisit the idea but for now just make sure the home is free of clutter and staged nicely. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House