Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

Had a 2nd layer of shingles put on the roof.
The ridge cap didn't get put on and rain has kept everything from getting finished.
I am envisioning a lot of moisture getting in between the layers and am concerned about mold.
Am I worried over nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:49 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Yeah sort of.................

The area involved is not that large, the amount of water is nominal. The first layer is probably pretty well sealed at that point. I assume they removed the old cap and just that area is open, could have finished in the rain. That first layer probably had #15 felt pulled over that peak area underneath.

If really worried why just not use a tarp or just flop some unused shingles over the area.

Any mold is going to get steam baked quick. Mold does not like roof(s). Neither do most other critters.

Doesn't sound very professional. Chancing a claim for damages. Not something I would do. You never leave any potential leak area open unprotected. Would not worry about it between layers. Might come down via the peak and get into ceilings below. Pretty dumb mistake. Tarps are so cheap.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:16 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Thanks
I was wondering if the summer sun....if we ever get any!...would cook it dry.
Guess it's not that much of a problem....annoying, yes.
We won't go into whether or not they'll do any more work for us

Old 07-31-2009, 07:34 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
I was redoing half my roof in FL and had it felted about 3/4 of the way up and roll roofing about 1/2 way up the felt and a storm brewed up out of nowhere. It dumped a 1/2 " that ran underneath my felt and was pouring water in a spot near my outside wall.

Now months later I have no leaks ,everything looks fine, the rafters are dry,the roof looks good.....it dried out fine. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you in your situation.

I wasn't about to start tarping, one good crack of lighting and I was off the roof real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House