Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,442,095 times

Advertisements

My husband painted the ceilings and used some type of spackling stuff that is supposed to be flexible and fill in thin cracks... but I already see them reappearing. Is there a product on the market that will REALLY get rid of them? I hate cracks in walls or ceilings.
Thanks!!!

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:20 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
If the house is settling fast or moving a lot this may not work, but I have had success filling cracks with painter's caulk rather than spackling compound in the past. It may not be a permanent fix, but it could be the difference between re-doing the work in one year or five.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,658,579 times
You've gotta use tape or something like it not just spackle. I have the same problem...

Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 PM

I did use some new tape purchased at Sherwin Williams in our bedroom, and while the crack did not come back (yet) it is clearly visible where the tape is. If they could make a thinner tape, maybe that would work.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:53 PM

332 posts, read 1,387,558 times
sand the crack, tape and skim float the wall for about a foot in either direction. then repaint.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:54 PM

MAN! I hate that! Have you tried the "mesh" type? I am sure my issue is because I am a stingy spackler lol

Old 08-11-2008, 02:03 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
A lot depends on where the cracks are and how big they are - and here is the big "depends" - and what's causing them.

If your house is only a couple years old, cracks will appear in places as well as nail pops.

If you are talking about cracks at the top of doors and windows, it's pretty normal settlement, but can be a sign of something else going on too.

If they run along the seam between the walls and the ceiling, they could be the result of a thing called "truss uplift", which is a seasonal problem that pops up once in a while. The fix for truss uplift is a whole lot different than for the cracks at doors and windows.

Face it, as long as the material is moving, you will not be able to patch the cracks and keep them sealed for a long time, tape or no tape.

Figure out why the walls are cracking, then you will be able to patch them for good.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Figure out why the walls are cracking, then you will be able to patch them for good.
I think this is without a doubt true, but it's kind of like telling a golfer with a wicked slice that all he has to do is stop putting so much spin on the ball.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekv View Post
sand the crack, tape and skim float the wall for about a foot in either direction. then repaint.
Yup I was being stingy... a foot huh? I'll try that

Old 08-11-2008, 03:02 PM

I wish I could figure out why we get the cracks and fix it. This house was built in 1952. We purchased it 6 months ago and had a thorough home inspection. Our foundation is solid and we are sitting on a ledge, so that shouldn't be a problem, I hope!
The worst cracks are on the first floor ceiling, just long thin cracks going across the ceiling. My husband says this is normal, but it can't be? Can it? In any case, it is ugly

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House