Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 AM

18 posts, read 409,204 times

Advertisements

Hi all - we are having a home custom built and get to choose a paint color to use throughout the home. I'm wanting to have a cottage-y style house - and want to select a neutral color that is still warm.

Our builder told us most people pick a beige color, but I'm not convinced that is what I want.

I've thought about doing a creamy yellow - something that isn't too bright, too mustardy, or too pastel. Any suggestions of colors that you've used that would work? I want it to be pretty muted - if it's going to be throughout the house - I don't want it to scream yellow. I just don't think I want to pick a beige. It seems kind of "blah" to me. But let me know if you think otherwise!

In general, I'd be interested in any suggestions. I already know that I'll be painting the dining room BM's Santorini Blue, the master bedroom Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage, and the kitchen a buttery lemon shade of some sort.

I appreciate all the help! I'm excited about using a custom builder - but am about to get overwhelmed with all the options!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,618,413 times
I like Behr's Cottage White. I used it when I painted my last house before I put it on the market. Everyone really liked the color, and it wasn't "too much" being used throughout. In my current house I've used it in a two story foyer and my living room. If I had to describe it I'd say it's sort of like a manilla file folder color - a bit of yellow, not too much beige, and sets off white trim really nicely.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
I love Killem Beige by Sherwin Williams. With white trim, it really gives off a warm but neutral feeling.

If you go to Sherwin Williams, they have a list of the top 10 colors most chosen and I think Killem Beige is number two!

I'm not creative but I am a great copier! While looking at a new home, I loved the wall colors and contacted the builder to get the name and that is how I found Killem Beige!

Vicki

Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
One color? Just ask for a second coat of primer, then you can put whatever colors you want in each room.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:12 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I love Killem Beige by Sherwin Williams. With white trim, it really gives off a warm but neutral feeling.

If you go to Sherwin Williams, they have a list of the top 10 colors most chosen and I think Killem Beige is number two!

I'm not creative but I am a great copier! While looking at a new home, I loved the wall colors and contacted the builder to get the name and that is how I found Killem Beige!

Vicki
Kilim Beige is a great color. In fact the whole strip nomadic desert ,latte etc are great colors!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:45 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Keep it as light as possible. And here's why- Depending on the builder you will get either a 3 and 11month warranty check ups or, just an eleven month. Any and all d/wall repairs should be taken care of at the 11month, no sooner unless it just anuses the crap out of you (allow the house to go through the seasons, this will help with stabilizing the condition of the house). If a color selection is too dark it can make touch up difficult. Sometimes it will require repainting the entire wall (corner to corner). And sometimes you have to do the same thing with egg shell paint.
I kinda like Cj's idea- but not very practical for two story walls and most DIY's.
One another note- when trim (especially crown and baseboard) starts to pull away from the wall painters tend to think that just re-caulking it will do (white caulk- white trim). It doesn't. If the caulk isn't painted it tends to dry out quicker and shrink. Which will lead to more pulling away from the wall. It also seems to dirty/ collect dust, dirt quicker when not painted.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM

41 posts, read 229,122 times
I agree, I saw this color after I painted my entire house Builder beige, Kilim Beige is a great color. In fact the whole strip nomadic desert ,latte etc are great colors! This is gooing to be my nex color pallete

Old 11-09-2009, 06:57 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,986,472 times
We just moved into a house that was painted entirely a grayish beige, brown color. I guess I would describe it maybe as cappucino or latte. Even the ceilings and closets. I hate it. It might be sophisticated, but it's drab and depressing. We're in the process of painting most of the common areas a light peach. Everything is coming to life with a warm glow. You might hate peach, but wall color can make such a difference in how you feel, so just make sure that you pick something that you love.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
My sister-in-law painted hers a warm color the color of a latte. Maybe cafe au lait. The color was neutral enough to go with everything, light enough that the rooms seems airy and open, and rich enough that they looked colorful.

Edited: Kilim Beige was very close to it! That's just the kind of color I had in mind. Neutral but not pale.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:20 AM

18 posts, read 409,204 times
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. And Vicki - your Kilim Beige seems to be a hit. Keep 'em coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House