Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:29 AM

3 posts, read 5,692 times

Advertisements

I just got my license in General Contracting and I cannot wait to start searching my new land for my first custom homes.

Of course, thinking and actually working is totally two things. I am now asking if anybody can give me some advice how can I start? some advices on financing?( I don't have too much cash, but I have excellent credit.)

If you are have any experience, please let me know.

1) Land searching
2) Financing
3) Finding labors(trade)
4) Selling the house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
You got a General Contracting license and don't know the first thing about the steps to actually build a house? Damn, your State needs to tighten up their requirements on who can get a GC license, I would hate to be a person who buys your builds.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Isn't this the worst time in history to be in home construction?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
I'm with Bydand here-
All of those questions should have been part of the licensing curriculum.
For what it's worth- maybe another profession should be looked upon.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Isn't this the worst time in history to be in home construction?
This could actually be the best time- if you have serious, and I mean serious capital.
Buying lots/land at very depressed prices and sitting on it.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
This could actually be the best time- if you have serious, and I mean serious capital.
Buying lots/land at very depressed prices and sitting on it.
The price of vacant land around me has not come down in price.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 AM

143 posts, read 742,026 times
as i started in 91, after been employed for 7 years, i was lucky and got a request from a insurance company.we had a heavy storm here,so the most of the roofs was ripped of the houses out on a small island out by the coast.Then it took off.so try to get in touch with a insurance company or a house factory to start off with.then take it further when you got into the system.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
as i started in 91, after been employed for 7 years, i was lucky and got a request from a insurance company.we had a heavy storm here,so the most of the roofs was ripped of the houses out on a small island out by the coast.Then it took off.so try to get in touch with a insurance company or a house factory to start off with.then take it further when you got into the system.
To do insurance work you need a DBA, liability insurance and worker's comp.

You also have to have the money to complete the work, then bill them.

I have never been called by an insurance company. The insured has always called.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You got a General Contracting license and don't know the first thing about the steps to actually build a house? Damn, your State needs to tighten up their requirements on who can get a GC license, I would hate to be a person who buys your builds.

Sorry, I guess you miss understand my point. I am actually asking how to start up a business regarding building a new house, all of my question mostly related to " real live" problem. NOT the technical problem you came cross in the exam. Please read my question and I will be more appreciate with your CONSTRUCTIVE answer. Thank you.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:28 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The price of vacant land around me has not come down in price.
Maybe that's why they are still sitting on the market?

No sane person would buy any real estate now. Not that there are many sane people around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House