Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 PM

275 posts, read 773,554 times

Advertisements

Well I guess smart thing would be to leave it alone for a while but this is my first home and I always had old kitchens. I was really upset when we were putting an offer that here I am paying over 300K for a house and can't even get a better looking kitchen. But there are other things about the house that I like. Perhaps I could just paint the walls and redo flooring. You can't tell from that photo but vinyl flooring is really damaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 02:56 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Depends on your location if that's a high or low price for the house, also how big it is, etc.

You could definitely just replace the flooring, selecting something fairly neutral so as not to clash with the existing stuff, something light-colored since the dark wood cabinets could use some lightening up as a counterpoint.

The walls appear to be white, I have found a wash with Spicn'Span cleaner is a good prelude to paint anyway and frequently is sufficient in itself.

Those old appliances, particularly the range, are not trendy right now but in many ways are better than what you can buy new. With an electric range, you get 100% conversion of electricity to heat from every one of them, old or new, cheap or spendy.

Clean the condenser coils on that old fridge and it will work reliably for many years.

Stainless and granite are not the only way.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM

It is a 2260 sqft house, nice size I think. Fridge is actually not that old. It is side by side type which I hate but I'll make do. I am only going to be buying DW, range and microwave. Overall, I don't want to do a cheap remodel, I just want to clean it and freshen up a little. Thank you all for your comments. They are very helpful in making me decide what to do.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:25 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Ikea will custom cut butcherblock for surprisingly little money. You could wind up with a decent result in that kitchen by installing new hinges and hardware, new electrical outlets and putting in a glass tile backsplash.

I don't care how un-handy you think you are - you can install tile. Go to one of the classes at Home Depot.

I wouldn't commit myself to painting those cabinets until you've seen them with a new countertop and new hardware. That veneer is notoriously bad about accepting paint.
Jim you know I usually agree with you. I will not fight you on the IKEA butcherblock tops because they are not really that bad at all. But geez people those IKEA cabinets are lessor quality then the corrugated cardboard boxes found behind the grocery store being thrown out.

Victoria, I said earlier that I know you will go ahead and paint them anyway despite you knowing the paint will peal and bubble in short order. Then what do you have? They will look worse then what you have now because peeling paint will be laughable and twice the work to repair it with a makeshift repair that wont last either.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 PM

Well actuaLly no, if I think they will peel I will not paint them. However, my father was a painting cont. for 20 years. If I decide to paint them, it will be professional job. Again, I haven't decided I will though. I am just looking for ideas. I thought it would be really expensive to do middle quality remodel. If I can get decent quality cabinets and countertop for 5K, I'll wait six months and go that route.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:21 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Unfortunately desertsun41 is right. Melamine will NOT hold paint for any length of time. I won't tell you not to do it, but be warned if you do that you will have to redo it in about 12-18 months at the most. If you do it, you need to sand them first to scuff up the surface so the paint has something to grab, and wash them down with TSP (trisodium phosphate) which can be purchased in the paint section at the big box stores. It still won't last any longer than 18 months, but at least it won't bubble the first time it gets humid in the kitchen.

A suggestion to save some money when you re-do the kitchen is to look for home recycling warehouses or contractor's clearance warehouses. Lots of people renovate their home for no other reason than that they don't like the look, and some of that material ends up going to a recycle store. Slightly used, but I've found some pretty good deals on really decent products at those places. The contractor's clearance warehouses are basically overstock stores that buy up left-over product from the national chain and sell them at a discount. I've found good deals there, as well, and they usually have lots of cabinetry.

One more thought, and no I'm not endorsing this product, as I haven't used it, but I've seen kits to refinish countertops at the big box stores. It would still be formica, but it would be a different looking formica, at least. I think the kits run around $300 though, and as has already been pointed out in this thread you could probably replace all your countertops for less than that, if you are even moderately handy. Even with the cost of hiring the local handyman to put the countertops in, you probably wouldn't spend more than $300.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
Well actuaLly no, if I think they will peel I will not paint them. However, my father was a painting cont. for 20 years. If I decide to paint them, it will be professional job. Again, I haven't decided I will though. I am just looking for ideas. I thought it would be really expensive to do middle quality remodel. If I can get decent quality cabinets and countertop for 5K, I'll wait six months and go that route.
I could not figure out where you live. Lets start there. Just city and state. Your dad will also agree with me/us that you can not paint those things.

You are showing 9 boxes in your picture. 30" tall uppers and just basic bases. What I see in that picture and if you are willing to stick with a quality builders grade and not get greedy asking for cherry raised panel like everyone does then you are looking at under $5000 for all cabinets and granite plus undermount sink and installation. That would be flat panel oak cabinets.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 AM

Thanks everyone - Desertsun, my home is in Mt. Arlington, NJ. I will hold off doing anything on the cabinets. You're right my father will probably say don't paint them but he would do it if I insist. If it is possible to remodel for 5K, it is better to wait six months and do that rather than put work into it now. Per Jimrom's post, I will also see if I can find warehouses around me that I can find some deals on cabinets.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
Thanks everyone - Desertsun, my home is in Mt. Arlington, NJ. I will hold off doing anything on the cabinets. You're right my father will probably say don't paint them but he would do it if I insist. If it is possible to remodel for 5K, it is better to wait six months and do that rather than put work into it now. Per Jimrom's post, I will also see if I can find warehouses around me that I can find some deals on cabinets.
Mount Arlington. Well say hello to my beloved lake will ya? I docked my boat at Barns Bros Marina in Mount Arlington for about 11 years before leaving the area. I miss it.

My best contacts have all closed up due to the economic depression but I will think about who I may still know in Morris County. I think one of my friends have opened up a store in Denville last I heard. Lets see what I can find out for you.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 AM

Thanks Desertsun, I really appreciate that. We are not on the lake but really close and we love the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House