Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times

Advertisements

The condition of the grout in my master bathroom around the tub finally got to me! After much trial and error, I managed to remove the old, dirty, cracked grout around the tub surround. This involved the use of a flat knife, a straight blade, a reciprociating saw (), and just some general elbow grease!

This morning I started to regrout - but my question is this: How thick do you have to make the grout? I have no interest in the sloppy way in which it was previously done (on the tile above it and on the bathtub itself). I squeezed the grout as far back as it would go into the interior of the wall, but externally, it looks like only a nice, clean, thin line. Is that enough?

Also, once I let this dry and set, I then have to seal, is that correct? Do you have any specific recommendations for the sealer?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM

600 posts, read 3,449,230 times
If you spread and compacted the joints with the proper grout float held on edge at a 45* angle, and actually compressed the edge of the float, you have forced the grout into the joint as deep as it will go. And that's the way to do it, so you should be good to go.

I like Sealers Choice Gold, made by Aqua Mix. Heavy solids composition, holds up well, and does not stink up the joint! (Pun intended). Paint it over the joints (2 coats / 1 hour apart). Do not seal the tile. It wil not penetrate the glaze of a glazed tile, nor the unglazed body of a porcelain tile. The sealer works by penetrating into the joint, not laying on top of the joint.
You can seal with the Sealers Choice Gold 48 hours after completion of the grout clean-up.
Regards,
Streamer1212

EDIT: Use a silicon caulk for the joint where the tub meets the tile.

Last edited by Streamer1212; 02-16-2010 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House