Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:58 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what the difference is between a condo and a town home. Which one is better and why. Thanks for any help on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 06:13 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,892,818 times
One is better over the other because different people have different needs and wants. It depemds on your individual needs and wants. It also depends on your needs and wants for buying or renting. You ask a very broad question. There is no answer.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:17 PM

392 posts, read 1,553,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I would like to know what the difference is between a condo and a town home. Which one is better and why. Thanks for any help on this.
Condos are more like apartments or hotels. You may have someone above and below you.
Townhomes are like individual houses that share only the side walls, and not the ceiling or floors.

Condos can be more secure and private. Townhomes can be quieter. Of course, it all depends. A condo unit near the top of well built condo tower will be very quite while a townhome on a busy street will be noisy.

These are condos:

These are townhomes:

Old 06-24-2009, 06:22 PM

Thank you for your response pinetreecity. Sounds like the town home would be better for me since it's more like a house.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
One major difference between a condo and a townhome, at least in some areas, is that while a condo complex may have several residents, townhouses will often have just two -- one for each side of the townhouse. That means you have a lot more freedom with what you can do on the exterior, you'll own a larger piece of land, and you'll have MUCH lower HOA fees, because you'll only be paying for maintenance on one building, and that'll be shared with your neighbor.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:58 PM

Thanks DOTM, that is the kind of information I am looking for!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:49 PM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Thanks DOTM, that is the kind of information I am looking for!
Are you buying in NC or TX?

If NC, you are being sorely misled in some of the responses...
Maybe in TX, too, for all I know.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Are you buying in NC or TX?

If NC, you are being sorely misled in some of the responses...
Maybe in TX, too, for all I know.
Why do you say that? I wish it was NC, but unfortunately for now it's Houston Texas.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 PM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Why do you say that? I wish it was NC, but unfortunately for now it's Houston Texas.
In NC, the difference between condos and townhomes is largely related to title and legal description, not appearance of structure.

Yes, it would be odd to see a high-rise building that resembled an apartment tower to be titled as "townhomes."

But, otherwise, townhomes or condos can be single dwellings, detached, one floor, two floor, duplex, etc, etc.
You cannot tell what you are looking at by visual clues. You MUST check the legal description.

Unless you prefer to live in a highrise, I would prefer townhomes, since the owner actually owns a structure and a piece of dirt.
Condo owners own paint to paint on the interior, no structure and no dirt.
Condo owners are subject to plummeting values if the condo is non-warrantable and cannot get FHA lending. Without Fannie and Freddie in the wings, no one wants to lend on non-warrantable condo complexes.

All the above from a NC perspective. I hear that TX is its own Republic. Maybe they roll different down there...

Old 06-25-2009, 11:00 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,755,103 times
Other than MikeJaquish, everyone gave what is more or less a general, aesetic difference, but not 100% true. Townhouse is an archtiectural term, while condo is a legal term.

Generally a townhouse, also called a rowhouse in some areas, is a two- or three-story "house like" building, but attached on one or more sides. If there are only two units (as DarSideoftheMoon) described, its a duplex. I lived in a townhouse with 5 units squished together. With most townhouses, you own your studs, your plumbing, your roof, your siding, and your landscaping (even if its only 0.07 acre ). But again, the townhouse is the style, not the legal description of the property, so you can have condo townhomes.

Condo is actually a legal description as to where your property ends and where the group property begins. In my layman's understanding, in a condo, you own from the drywall in (the exterior of the building and the land is not your property, not on the deed, and is the responsibility of the association). (note, please don't use that as a legal description ) While *most* condos are apartment-like, you can have condo townhomes. I know several people who live in condos that look more like what i would call a townhouse by looking at it. Condos will have higher fees to cover the exterior maintainence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House