Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for your advice! I have to say - I'm a bit worried about what I'm going to find underneath - but it's already falling off in some places so I might as well just take it all off and see what happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,738 times
Get a pump sprayer,fill it with warm water,hose her (the cieling) down,about 2' x 2' sections at a time,using a plastic scraper,take her down!!!! Medium size room should take no more than an hour or so.The underlying cieling needs to be handled by a professional wallboarder if you want it not to look foo-shizzle.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:46 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Thank you all so much for your advice! I have to say - I'm a bit worried about what I'm going to find underneath - but it's already falling off in some places so I might as well just take it all off and see what happens!
You're going to be fine.

As has already been said, get the pump sprayer & wet down the texture. It stuff will come off easily. If you want to speed up the job, get a drywall mud knife - either an 8" or 10". Just be careful, and use long deliberate strokes - not choppy little jabs.
http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/Sheetrock-matrix-knife.jpg (broken link)

I'd suggest going to WalMart or Home Depot and getting a big CHEAP plastic tarp to cover the floor. Also, be sure to wear a mask.

Regardless of the condition of the ceiling under the popcorn texture, you'll just have to deal with it when you get there. I suspect that you'll find minor cracks and imperfections, all of which can be filled with drywall mud & lightly sanded.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
It might not be bad under there, because it was popular. Although I cannot imagine why. We bought a vacation house in PA and the popcorn crap went up when the place was built.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:07 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Thank you all so much! So helpful!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:27 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,999 times
you know, I complain about my house a lot but bumpy ceilings is one thing that it does NOT have! And for being plaster, they're not even all that cracked! (couple hairlines is all)

Old 03-14-2010, 04:21 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post
Get a pump sprayer,fill it with warm water,hose her (the cieling) down,about 2' x 2' sections at a time,using a plastic scraper,take her down!!!! Medium size room should take no more than an hour or so.The underlying cieling needs to be handled by a professional wallboarder if you want it not to look foo-shizzle.
That is what I have on my ceilings, and I know its new and does not have asbestos in it. If its falling off in hunks it could be old stuff... it doesn't do that easily. It should be tested before attacking it with the spray bottle. On home improvement shows they almost always redrywall it directly instead of disturbing it, especially old stuff.

I test sprayed a spot on my wall and apparently no priminging or sealing of the drywall was done when they sprayed it. It was futile, since you can still see the badly done drywall seames. Ah the joys of an old house bought in midremodle. So I say before you aim the spraybottle also check to see if your ceiling becomes a sponge.

I discovered a scraper on a pole removes most all the nubbies. It will make a mess but I have no carpet so sweeping isn't a problem. It won't be quite smooth but the walls are plastered so that will look fine. It will certainly look vastly improved.

If I could afford to do it myself I'd drywall over it and seal it up but that would involved removal of crown molding and more than I can do by myself, sigh...

My walls are a rough plaster finish I love and am going to attempt something like it in the kitchen on the walls, which got a quick coat of wall paint sans primer over the horrible drywall job. Wish me luck!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
It really deends on how much you want to spend. We have them too so I researched our options. I believe you can remove them by spaying them with water and then scrapping the ceiling with a putty knife. Once all removed, you can evaluate the ceiling's condition and what options are available to you. I think the worst you will end up with is a ceiling finish that is not as bumpy as you previously had. Jay

Old 03-15-2010, 12:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Our painter removed ours so that's where I would start. After removing it you have to retexture and repaint so you may as well hire someone who can do it all at once.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:49 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
That is what I have on my ceilings, and I know its new and does not have asbestos in it. If its falling off in hunks it could be old stuff... it doesn't do that easily. It should be tested before attacking it with the spray bottle. On home improvement shows they almost always redrywall it directly instead of disturbing it, especially old stuff.

I test sprayed a spot on my wall and apparently no priminging or sealing of the drywall was done when they sprayed it. It was futile, since you can still see the badly done drywall seames. Ah the joys of an old house bought in midremodle. So I say before you aim the spraybottle also check to see if your ceiling becomes a sponge.

I discovered a scraper on a pole removes most all the nubbies. It will make a mess but I have no carpet so sweeping isn't a problem. It won't be quite smooth but the walls are plastered so that will look fine. It will certainly look vastly improved.

If I could afford to do it myself I'd drywall over it and seal it up but that would involved removal of crown molding and more than I can do by myself, sigh...

My walls are a rough plaster finish I love and am going to attempt something like it in the kitchen on the walls, which got a quick coat of wall paint sans primer over the horrible drywall job. Wish me luck!
If you are talking about ceilings and not walls,the only reason why spray on would not come off is that someone has painted over them,thus sealing that crap on forever.In that case only option is really wallboard over it.NOT recommended to be done "in house",hire a pro.As regards old stuff,if there is asbestos in it,mask up with a real mask,wet it down thoroughly and go,OR,pay an asbestos abatement company massive amounts of money to have it removed.I served in the engine room of several WW2 and post war destroyers loaded with asbestos,knew enough even then to keep any opened insulation wet,and not one person I keep in touch with has ever had a medical problem stemming from exposure.No more dangerous than sanding your fiberglass boat.HAPPY SAINT PATRICKS DAY!!!! up the IRISH!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House