Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think this is an eyesore?
Yes, most definitely! I'd complain! 13 18.06%
Yes, but I wouldn't complain 23 31.94%
No, people are free to use their property however they want 30 41.67%
No, it looks nice! 6 8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 AM

890 posts, read 3,701,554 times

Advertisements

Is it ugly? Absolutely. But it's their property and like others have said...I have seen MUCH worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 05:51 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Hmm, after reading more of these posts, it sounds like I should stay in the city where it's clean, and the air is friesh.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:02 AM

577 posts, read 2,061,069 times
If I moved to the country (aka rural area) it would be for peace and quiet, fresh air and a beautiful countryside. And a pile of crap is not, in my opinion, "beautiful countryside." That said, if I couldn't see it to know it was there I guess it's okay. But why move out and be surrounded by the beauty of nature only to crap it up? Of course, for some people the draw is not the beauty but the privacy so I guess that's a totally different situation.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
This is exactly why I chose a neighborhood with a HOA. Junk piles like that attract all sorts of critters. No thanks. If they are going to burn that stuff, I am sure it will omit toxic fumes. Garbage in the yard like that, whether in a rural or urban setting is just plain nasty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You know what else attracts all sorts of critters? RURAL SPACE.

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard in the post office of the suburb-on-the-edge-of-farmland I used to live in:

SNOOTY-LOOKING WOMAN: "Hi there, I just moved out here from Evanston, and I was wondering if you had any advice as to how to keep the deer from eating your landscaping?"

LOCAL WOMAN: "Sure, that's easy: you move back to Evanston."
Quote:
Sure there are critters in rural spaces. I do not think one would need to create a mattress nest for them either. In case you havent heard, there is a new invention...its a called a landfill. Most respectful folks use them and do not create their own in their backyard, even if it can't be seen from the front of the house.
Quote:
Other respectful folks MTOFB.

"Oh n0z -- that 'mattress nest' is gonna draw all kinds of critters out here from the city! Or something..."
Quote:
Right...and maybe all those people that got sick in Love Canal NY should have minded their own business too, right? I mean, its okay to litter and destroy property or cause potential health risks to those nearby. You obviously are not a very bright person and glad I do not live near you.
Quote:
And you're obviously a nosy control freak who probably measures his neighbors' siding with a Pantone color wheel to make sure it's within the HOA's color specs and I'm glad I do not live near you.

Another benefit to living in rural areas: not having to live too close to people who aren't sharp enough to distinguish between a couple of mattresses and Love Canal.
Quote:
An advocate for littering. Nice. Good luck to you.
Quote:
A Nazi control-freak who thinks he should tell others how to conduct their affairs. Nice. Good luck to you.
Great morning reading. Thanks guys.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:37 AM

445 posts, read 1,605,371 times
Where are YOUR pictures - a picture is worth... In the case of my neighbor I would need 1,209 - 2,378 words to describe the issues. It is not a matter of visual impact (looking for a better word) but a matter of code violations, state law (the motor vehicle laws), fire safety and even biohazard (toxic mold). I did not write the laws (some of which are not even enforceable or make any sense)
On the bright side - that program about hoarders shows better than I can some of my situation. By having a hoarder next door - has my property value gone UP. Have the chances of me being able to sell my house gone UP. On both points I DO NOT THINK SO.
I have no interest in controlling anyone. I always mind my own business, unless I preceive a safety issue that may not be apparent to you. If I see someone around your property I WILL stick my big nose in and see what is up. Most of the time there is nothing amiss - not always. Would you take down a license number etc ...?? Would you try to follow a car to identify the perps..???
My neighbor is not a bad person, he will offer to help you - even if you really do not want or need it. When he has a heart attack or stroke (he is not the picture of health)((not trying to be an a-hole - just stating the facts)) the EMTs or fire department will not be able to get into his house and if they do, they will not be able to get him out. If he has medical issues - they have to be made worse by the mold and mouse droppings.
But maybe I should just mind my own business - very little chance that is going to continue. Has anyone tried very hard to have code enforcement do their job with little or no success and then filed suit against the county or state.. I just do not see ANY upside to contacting the sheriff's office and airing my problems about how the deputy conducted himself in this issue..
I'll show you mine if you show me your's (pictures of a neighbor) I will not show anything that will identify my neighbor Please do the same

Old 04-07-2010, 11:14 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
Where are YOUR pictures - a picture is worth... In the case of my neighbor I would need 1,209 - 2,378 words to describe the issues. It is not a matter of visual impact (looking for a better word) but a matter of code violations, state law (the motor vehicle laws), fire safety and even biohazard (toxic mold). I did not write the laws (some of which are not even enforceable or make any sense)
On the bright side - that program about hoarders shows better than I can some of my situation. By having a hoarder next door - has my property value gone UP. Have the chances of me being able to sell my house gone UP. On both points I DO NOT THINK SO.
I have no interest in controlling anyone. I always mind my own business, unless I preceive a safety issue that may not be apparent to you. If I see someone around your property I WILL stick my big nose in and see what is up. Most of the time there is nothing amiss - not always. Would you take down a license number etc ...?? Would you try to follow a car to identify the perps..???
My neighbor is not a bad person, he will offer to help you - even if you really do not want or need it. When he has a heart attack or stroke (he is not the picture of health)((not trying to be an a-hole - just stating the facts)) the EMTs or fire department will not be able to get into his house and if they do, they will not be able to get him out. If he has medical issues - they have to be made worse by the mold and mouse droppings.
But maybe I should just mind my own business - very little chance that is going to continue. Has anyone tried very hard to have code enforcement do their job with little or no success and then filed suit against the county or state.. I just do not see ANY upside to contacting the sheriff's office and airing my problems about how the deputy conducted himself in this issue..
I'll show you mine if you show me your's (pictures of a neighbor) I will not show anything that will identify my neighbor Please do the same
You have made some great points here. Exactly what I was trying to express. I actually live in a semi rural area for those that make assumptions. HOA's are everywhere and not just in the big city. HOA's were developed because people got tired of blight. In fact, 2 years ago I almost purchased a property that was next to a EPA superfund site (which I found out on my own). In my experience spending most of my life in a large urban setting EPA Superfund sites were mostly in urban areas. The situation started with the basics like the OP started with. A property owner had mattresses, old cars, household items etc scattered around his yard. A "neo-nazi pantone wheel uptight neighbor" decided she had enough and called the county. The county took their sweet time getting out there and when they did, they were completely blown away by the condition of the property. Not only did this guy dump everything from his house into the yard but also thought it was okay to dump oil from his vehicles and other toxic materials. This went on for decades because well everyone had the attitude, "live and let live." Well in most rural areas, people have wells and in his actions he contaminated 400 wells in the area. This guy's actions alone destroyed the drinking water of the residents in a 5 mile area. I am sure his neighbors are thrilled that their homes are worth nothing now. The EPA stepped in and now in that particular area everyone has city services, which realtors try to make a selling point but leaving out the fact that this area is actually a registered superfund site.

I am a designer so I am all about people expressing their creativity and making their home a home. There is a huge difference between painting your house a certain color and storing garbage in your yard. My HOA is barely there. The only serious restrictions I can think of is no garbage in the yard. Sad when simple ideas like this have to be put down on paper because some just dont get it. I find it amusing and a bit sad when people defend being dirty and irresponsible.

If someone wants to burn a sofa or a mattress that contains many toxic fibers, then go ahead and enjoy your smore. But don't act all astonished several years down the road when you have lung cancer and have no clue why.

Also on a side note...even in this tough real estate market, homes in my area sell. Why? Because most enjoy the semi rural atmosphere and its CLEAN. I do not have to look over old sofas and mattresses to enjoy the deer walking through my yard.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 842 times
So many laws and codes are just about money. How much of that money is wasted or goes into the pockets of bureaucrats. Life is hard enough as it is. Each of us have no control as to what goes on around us, except in our own homes. Think about how small an area that is. Never call any authority, the system is set up to keep us working and to suck the money from us to keep us working! If it bothers you so much, why don't you knock on their door and ask them if they could use some help hauling it away? They might be embarrassed about the mess, or not aware that it is bothering anyone. At least you would find out what they were thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House