Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:21 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,088 times

Advertisements

We have a room painted with latex flat paint. I had to do extensive drywall repair, therefore a lot of mudding. Afterward, I painted with latex primer (Glidden Gripper) tinted gray, then applied a coat of flat Sherwin Williams dark red about 2 hours later. Now the paint layer is rubbing off! Any ideas on why this would happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
We have a room painted with latex flat paint. I had to do extensive drywall repair, therefore a lot of mudding. Afterward, I painted with latex primer (Glidden Gripper) tinted gray, then applied a coat of flat Sherwin Williams dark red about 2 hours later. Now the paint layer is rubbing off! Any ideas on why this would happen?
Glidden Gripper isn't necessarily the best stuff ever, but you shouldn't have a problem painting over it with a flat latex.

I suspect you didn't allow the primer to fully cure before you painted over it. If there was any "tack" to the primer at all when you started painting you could wind up with exactly what you are describing. For some very scientific reason, dissimilar paints or finishes (meaning oil-based and waterborne) have trouble making a good bond if the bottom layer is still offing its volatile components.

**EDIT** On second thought, is the primer coming off or just the topcoat?

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 04-07-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Glidden Gripper isn't necessarily the best stuff ever, but you shouldn't have a problem painting over it with a flat latex.

I suspect you didn't allow the primer to fully cure before you painted over it. If there was any "tack" to the primer at all when you started painting you could wind up with exactly what you are describing. For some very scientific reason, dissimilar paints or finishes (meaning oil-based and waterborne) have trouble making a good bond if the bottom layer is still offing its volatile components.

**EDIT** On second thought, is the primer coming off or just the topcoat?
Just the top coat. This happened while I wasn't home and it was the plumber rubbing the paint off...said he had a wet sponge and it caused the issue. Perhaps it seems logical this might happen since I had just painted it yesterday and it's flat, which I think might absorb the water to a degree and come up.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
I'm no painter by trade but my experience was always to alow at least 24 hrs for the first coat to cure (dry). Just touching with finger and thinking the coat is dry is NOT always true as it could still be wet/damp underneath.

Better to be safe then sorry later on.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,696 times
every experience I've had with FLAT paint = rubs off.. wipe the wall down - paint rubs off. *shrug*
I've been advised that flat paints belong in places such as closets and places that receive low traffic...

but this was years ago so i don't know how the "technology" may have changed.

i always use Semi-gloss based with no issues - and will always use.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 AM

I've typically seen semi-gloss used on door casing, crown and baseboards. That may look a little unusual on a textured (or untextured) wall, but I dunno.

I'm fairly certain that this is a bonding problem from insufficiently cured oil-base primer covered with a latex paint.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,360 times
Here is the big question....Why was the painter taking a sponge to a fresh painted wall? It is recommended that paint cures for 30 days before any type of cleaning is done, it takes that long for it to completely cure. That being said, red paint has a deep base and along with any other color in deep base it is also recommended to go with a higher scheen than flat. the reason is the dark colors will always scar no matter how long they cure, a damp cloth/sponge will always take off some of the color. IF the paint is peeling off of the primed spots then that is a different story and I would say it is that the primer had not dry enough.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Here is the big question....Why was the painter taking a sponge to a fresh painted wall? It is recommended that paint cures for 30 days before any type of cleaning is done, it takes that long for it to completely cure. That being said, red paint has a deep base and along with any other color in deep base it is also recommended to go with a higher scheen than flat. the reason is the dark colors will always scar no matter how long they cure, a damp cloth/sponge will always take off some of the color. IF the paint is peeling off of the primed spots then that is a different story and I would say it is that the primer had not dry enough.
It's even more intriguing if you substitute "plumber"

Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Sorry...long story, but I had a 1 day window between having new hardwoods put in (the final coat of poly) and having a plumber out to install a sink and toilet (in addition to a gas line for the kitchen as well). Due to the tight time frame, I had to prime and paint after work (hence the short dry time). The plumber then was wiping the wall around where the sink basin was being caulked against the wall. Obviously this was not the optimal conditions, but I was doing the best I could! Additionally, I would usually have eggshell or satin in a bathroom, but the walls are old and have tons of imperfections and since there is no tub or shower, moisture in the air wasn't an issue, so I opted for flat to hide the imperfections. I basically just touched up the areas after the plumber was done and will just be wary of not rubbing the walls! Thanks for the inputs!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 AM

504 posts, read 1,545,159 times
Is there any moisture coming through the sheet rock? It's possible you might have a small leak somewhere in your roof that you don't know about. I had this happen around some flashing on the roof that was letting moisture through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House