Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 10,497 times

Advertisements

This is my first time posting-- and I'm a first time homebuyer.

I'm looking for suggestions/help in making what I consider to be a big decision!

I recently bought a house that was built in 1994. During the home inspection the inspector told me that the HVAC unit was on its way out. It is the original (16 years old).

I also have windows that are drafty. While some of them have been replaced, they were not upgraded and are very low quality.

My question is which do you think is more important to replace? I'm looking to spend some of my tax credit on making my home more energy efficient. I'm torn between leaving the windows and switching the HVAC or vice versa.

Any information would be so appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 07:47 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
If the home inspector said it's on the way out, I'd go ahead and replace it. The A/C will be a big chunk of change, whereas the windows can be done singly or a room at a time to keep the budget in line.

Check the weather-stripping around the windows and make sure they are sealing properly. This can make a huge difference in drafty windows.

And welcome to City Data.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:55 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
^^ What JimRom said. And don't forget to look for energy credits or refunds for the A/C from the manufacturer, the power company, the state, the feds ...

You can always cover the windows with heavy drapes until you get them replaced.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:13 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Sorry, but I have to go the other way. HVAC units can limp along for years, but windows are part of the protective shell of the house. Bad windows and bad installation can create issues with decayed framing, mold, and insect/pest issues. Rule of thumb is PROTECT first, think about comfort and energy costs later. If it was a choice between replacing a leaking roof and buying an AC, I'd buy a window AC and replace the roof.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:37 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,842 times
My A/C is 23-years old and working fine (knock on wood). I do plan on replacing it later this year, but I'm doing windows first. The cold temps we had this past winter convinced me that I can't go through another one like that!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:06 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sorry, but I have to go the other way. HVAC units can limp along for years, but windows are part of the protective shell of the house. Bad windows and bad installation can create issues with decayed framing, mold, and insect/pest issues. Rule of thumb is PROTECT first, think about comfort and energy costs later. If it was a choice between replacing a leaking roof and buying an AC, I'd buy a window AC and replace the roof.
I've never seen an A/C system "limp along". They either work or they don't. Kinda like an old car that starts to have problems and they'll nickle and dime you to death. I assume that's the point the home inspector was trying to make. However, if the compressor were to fail the home owner would be looking at a full system replacement due to the energy efficiency law that began 1/1/07 stating all newly or replaced HVAC systems must meet a minimum 13 SEER rating. It's highly doubtful this home owner has a 13 SEER rated HVAC system so a compressor replacement would require a entire system replacement including lines and inside air handler due to the higher pressures. This has an average cost of $4000. Keep in mind that if this home owner replaces the windows and a month later the compressor fails the replacement cost would put quite a financial burden on the home owner.
Personally, I would go ahead and replace the entire HVAC system since there would be sustantial energy savings versus window replacement. Besides, are energy-efficient windows going to keep the house cool enough to be comfortable if the a/c breaks and the home owner can't afford to replace it?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:51 AM

38 posts, read 71,906 times
I would think the area you live in would also have a great bearing on the decision. Do you live in a hot, humid area where life w/o A/C would be unbearable.., or in my case, I live where the humidity is very low, and if I turn on the A/C at all, it's only for a couple of hours late in the day, on the very hottest of days.
I live in the desert where summer temps are usually over 100 degrees, but no humidity. When the thermometer outside approaches 105, it's at least 20 degrees cooler inside with the A/C off. When it goes over 105, I'll click on the A/C for a couple of hours, maybe 4 PM until 6 or 7 PM. By that time it's cool enough to open the windows.
I'm in the process of ordering some new windows for the side of the house where the sun goes down. If I never turned on the A/C, we would be fine... 85 degrees in my house is comfortable, 85 degrees in a humid area would be a killer...! If you use A/C many hours a day, a new unt will save much more energy than windows will save you...
All this to show there are more things to consider than the few facts you give...

Old 05-22-2010, 12:34 PM

862 posts, read 3,550,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Sunday View Post
I would think the area you live in would also have a great bearing on the decision. Do you live in a hot, humid area where life w/o A/C would be unbearable.., or in my case, I live where the humidity is very low, and if I turn on the A/C at all, it's only for a couple of hours late in the day, on the very hottest of days.
I live in the desert where summer temps are usually over 100 degrees, but no humidity. When the thermometer outside approaches 105, it's at least 20 degrees cooler inside with the A/C off. When it goes over 105, I'll click on the A/C for a couple of hours, maybe 4 PM until 6 or 7 PM. By that time it's cool enough to open the windows.
I'm in the process of ordering some new windows for the side of the house where the sun goes down. If I never turned on the A/C, we would be fine... 85 degrees in my house is comfortable, 85 degrees in a humid area would be a killer...! If you use A/C many hours a day, a new unt will save much more energy than windows will save you...
All this to show there are more things to consider than the few facts you give...
That answer would be a resounding YES! This post was moved from a local NC subforum (Raleigh/Durham) and I can tell you that AC can be necessary ALL day and well up to the late, late evening. The temps are typically much hotter indoors than outdoors in my experience living here. My thermostat is set to 85 to keep our bills manageable and plenty of times that HVAC starts humming mid-morning till midnight. I have to shut it off because my bedroom is in the basement (split level) and it's freezing in there. Many others tend to have theirs lower which would be more work for the system.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:23 PM

577 posts, read 2,061,464 times
We faced the same decision when we bought our house, which is about the same age as yours. Ultimately we decided to do the A/C because it already wasn't working properly and after 3-4 years of spending money on it we decided it was time to replace it. Our house has two units and the one that wasn't working properly was for the upstairs so we replaced that one. We haven't had any problems with the same aged downstairs unit so we did not replace it.

It is important to upgrade or replace inefficient windows but it can be very expensive. We'll be doing that sometime in the next few years but were more concerned with having to spend a lot of money on the A/C when we were in desperate need in the heat of the summer so we opted to do that first while we had the opportunity to do it before the summer started and companies got crazy busy. You have some options to help the sealing around the windows and over the glass so you might try that first (window tinting, insulating, etc.).

Personally I would have a problem spending money on the windows and then having to buy a new A/C system (which potentially could include duct work and a new air handler in addition to the compressor unit). I wouldn't want to invest my "extra" money on the windows and then not be able to afford to fix the A/C in August if it should break.

Regardless, you might have a couple of A/C companies come out and inspect your system and see what they say. While a home inspector knows a little about a lot of stuff, he/she may not necessarily know a lot about any one thing - like air conditioning. You can't go by age alone.

Good luck! :-)

Old 05-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,949 times
Windows! 100%.. Unless you live in a very hot area!
Windows help keep the heat in in the winter and you WILL notice a HUGE different in your utility bills.

However, if your in hotter climates where AC is a necessary 6 months out of the year - I would go with AC - but then your in the same boat with the windows... your cooler air will leak out and your warmer air will leak in.

The AC will be less expensive to replace. Windows can be very costly.. A friend just did her whole house with EXCELLENT windows at a tune of 10k. (the Colorado climate says - new windows over AC any day of the year)

Whats your budget vs whats your time frame? If your budget is say 5k.. then do the AC and maybe a few windows.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House