Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:42 PM

29 posts, read 237,163 times

Advertisements

With Houston being the fourth largest city is its taxes very high and what it about the process of getting new apartment what is good credit in Houston.Are teh apartment complexes equiped with pools and exercise rooms.

What are the cost of lifes basic bills such as
*Electric*
*Phone*(House Phone and Cell Phone)
*Internet*
*Water*
*Car Insurance*

I would like to know which companys in Houston that provides both local and National deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 11:15 AM

7 posts, read 27,844 times
Houston CoL- way lower than your E and W coast but a bit higher than the midwest

Old 06-25-2007, 04:47 PM

36 posts, read 175,192 times
Default Housing lower but beware

We moved from Chicago, so we were pleasantly surprised to see how much house we could get for the same amount of money. The neighborhood you can get for your money is oh, so much better as well - less crime, more beautiful, excellent schools, etc.
However, be prepared for some expenses that will be higher if you move from up north as we did. For example, we run our air conditioner at least 11 months out of the year, sometimes more. Because of the heat, lawns and flower beds fry quickly, so you need to run you sprinklers much more often. The weather is awesome three seasons out of the year and because of it you spend more time outside which causes people to put a lot of money into their yards, decks, etc.
Our company assured us the lower salary they offered would be comparable due to a lower cost of living. But beware because you will pay more for things you did not anticipate.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,341 times
I was shocked that my car insurance went wayyy up in San Antonio, coming from just outside of D.C. Apparently the reasons it goes up is because it is a boarder state, there are more people driving without insurance, and there are more accidents per capita. But I thought it couldn't get any worse than D.C. area.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:58 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character View Post
For example, we run our air conditioner at least 11 months out of the year, sometimes more.
Are your power bills in Houston higher than your heating (assuming you had gas or oil heating) and power bills in Chicago added together?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
I was shocked that my car insurance went wayyy up in San Antonio, coming from just outside of D.C. Apparently the reasons it goes up is because it is a boarder state, there are more people driving without insurance, and there are more accidents per capita. But I thought it couldn't get any worse than D.C. area.
If you have comprehensive, there's also the difference in car theft rates. Texas is simply more convenient for car thieves looking to export to Mexico.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
If you have comprehensive, there's also the difference in car theft rates. Texas is simply more convenient for car thieves looking to export to Mexico.
Funny, our car insurance went down on both vehicles when we moved from Philly to Houston. Same coverage. Homeowners insurance did go up.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:37 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Funny, our car insurance went down on both vehicles when we moved from Philly to Houston. Same coverage. Homeowners insurance did go up.
Car insurance is based on zip codes. We live in the nice part of a crappy zip code and our car insurance is pretty high. Our insurance agent told us that if we lived across the street, we'd save about 30 to 40 dollars a month. Electric costs more IF you don't shop around. I'm stuck in a contract with Reliant. It is too expensive. I am changing when the contract is up. Cable/internet is about the same as anywhere else in the country. Homeowners will cost you a little more also. Now, here is the good.

1. Regardless of the higher taxes, dollar per dollar houses here are cheaper than any major metropolitan area in the country. Even San Antonio, as a rule.
2. Grocery shopping is much cheaper, even with the ridiculous sales tax (unless, of course you swear by Whole Foods). My wife and I are pretty thick skinned and urban, so we shop at the Food Town on Kirkwood and Bissonnet. There are also Food Towns in quieter neighborhoods. Even Sugar Land has one.
3. Gas is always cheaper than most metropolitan areas. My friends always tell me Chicago is about 40 cents more expensive than Houston. It adds up.
4. There is no state income tax.

Some more advice: Don't let the companies tell you "We pay a lower salary because the cost of living here is lower." Houston's economy is booming. Most companies can afford to pay you. If a company tells you this, say "Sorry, but I don't look at it like that. I look at it as your lower salary offer means I'm worth less in Texas than where I was before." You'll get the salary you deserve.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
That's interesting. Car theft rates are higher in Houston. By roughly 20% per 100,000. Was the liability coverage for the same amount as in Philly? What about exclusions and deductibles?

Old 09-19-2008, 12:44 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,056 times
Yep, same liability, same deductibles, everything the same. We've been with State Farm forever and after looking around a bit we chose to stick with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston