Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM

401 posts, read 1,735,317 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Couple of days ago I flushed down the toilet and then after 20 seconds I heard a very loud sound in the walls or pipes. I researched and found that it might be the fill valve. The plumber came and replaced the fill valve. It came with a floater thingy and a ball. Plumber suggested that the one with the ball is not so good and I should get the latest fill valve that comes with a different design. He suggested this one:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...master400a.jpg

Anyway everything worked fine. but right now 20 min ago my mother called and she said she heard a loud sound inside the wall. I am in the office so I am not sure what she heard.

Now, this is really strange because we never had this issue and we called a plumber to fix a faucet and to fix a shower. Shower was always giving hot water so he replaced something but he was banging on the pipe with a hammer to get someone out of the wall. Shower works fine now.

Another thing I changed is that the water from the outside of the house is turned on FULL. Previously the water was turned on HALF WAY.

Can anyone please help me on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:35 AM

460 posts, read 2,429,989 times
The anti-siphon fill valve he used is one of the standard designs used today.

But I'm confused. I understand all the things you did, but what exactly is or isn't working now?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 AM

@tdhg566,

The toilet is working fine. I am using a fill valve that comes with a ball and flapper. I am NOt using FluidMaster 400.

But my mother called and told me that she heard vibrations in the walls (pipes) and loud noise coming from the walls. That was the main reason I replaced the fill valve in the first place.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:54 AM

1,474 posts, read 5,004,162 times
thats a weird house

Old 06-14-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azamsharp View Post
@tdhg566,

The toilet is working fine. I am using a fill valve that comes with a ball and flapper. I am NOt using FluidMaster 400.

But my mother called and told me that she heard vibrations in the walls (pipes) and loud noise coming from the walls. That was the main reason I replaced the fill valve in the first place.
It's obviously difficult to know for sure from this small amount of information, but the noises in the walls/pipes could be water hammer. Have you discussed that possibility with a reputable plumber? Did you discuss maybe putting in an air column to absorb the shock wave when the water stops flowing? If there are any loose pipes, they can certainly rattle when flowing water stops abruptly, like when the toilet stops filling. This would have nothing to do with whether you were using a fluidmaster or a ball mechanism.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 PM

@tdhg566

The only thing I don't understand is that we never had this sound until the plumber did some work on the shower as mentioned in the original post. He did some hammering (with a hammer) to remove something and then after that we experience sound every now and then.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 PM

222 posts, read 721,131 times
if your toilet flushed fine before and water didn't constantly run into the bowl, then you probably didn't need to replace the fiill valve. By the way, either type works fine. I have sometoilets with the ball and floaty thing and others with the fluidmaster. the fluidmaster seems to be quieter to me.. he probably replaced the fill valve because it was easy money for him and he might be inexperienced with water hammer problems and therefore guessed that it was a fill valve problem rather than trying to really research the problem. either way sounds like he didn't fix your noise problem. sounds like you need a water hammer arrestor. just google "water hammer after toilet flushes". good luck.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,566,478 times
try adjusting that valve below the toilet and flush to see if it helps remove the noise. then adjust again to see if the noise goes away or fades. it might take a few adjustments. i've had that issue before.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azamsharp View Post
@tdhg566

The only thing I don't understand is that we never had this sound until the plumber did some work on the shower as mentioned in the original post. He did some hammering (with a hammer) to remove something and then after that we experience sound every now and then.
I suspect the hammering loosened the pipe somehow. You don't say how old your house is, or how the pipes are secured within the walls. Sometimes builders take the cheap way out and just bend a 16p nail over a pipe to secure it. The pipe can slip out from under the nail and rattle. Regardless of how it happened, this isn't a fill valve issue (you should use an anti-siphon fill valve if you can, as it's safer) it's a water hammer issue. The pipe needs to be secured if you can, and air columns added to the pipe to cushion the stopping water.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,531,394 times
sounds like a loose pipe to me. I've had that before, but it sounded like a whine then banging in the wall right after the flush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston