Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:57 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I wouldn't expect them to move out of downtown...completely, too much trading stuff in that area. But if they are building a 'complex', then Folks in Irvine and Fairfax may be 'consolidated'.
As well as those in Greenspoint. I'm not sure about the ones in the Energy Corridor, but I've heard Downtown is safe. And you mean Irving right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 08:21 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,438,742 times
They are moving a major R&M center with about 8,000 people from Fairfax, VA. Rumors also are spreading that they move the Irving corporate HQ to the new campus as well.

Its not really in the Woodlands, its a little South about where I-45 and the Hardy Toll Rd merge. It'll be a boon for the Spring/Klein/Woodlands areas.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:42 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
Cousin works in the downtown office -- he was told expect groups to begin moving there in 3-4 years. Not sure how how it will be before all are consolidated but eventually expected all offices to be located there. He said no updates are allowed to the interior of their downtown offices - that doesn't sound like a bldg. that they plan to stay in to me.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA22 View Post
Im hoping for more recent evidence of it happening. Thanks! I know its going to happen. Just wondering if it's started. They have LOTS of building to do. I'm in VA and will be moving if they do. Just want some pics. Killing me to not know whats going on. They won't tell us until it's happening.
You might want to get some pics of the Woodlands, etc. so you can see the area that you might choose to live in. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how much more house you can own here than in Virginia - just trying to give you a positive!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:49 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Oil, Re: traders.

I agree. You have to make your traders happy. Moving them that far away from downtown isn't going to make them happy. Most have established a pretty high quality of life right in Houston, that can't be duplicated up there. They would be commuting work,commuting to lunch, commuting to golf...I don't see it happening.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,265,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
You might want to get some pics of the Woodlands, etc. so you can see the area that you might choose to live in. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how much more house you can own here than in Virginia - just trying to give you a positive!
If ya want in The Woodlands now you gotta get in NOW. Inside sources tell me that the Real Estate is already going up in price with just the rumors that are going around. Prospects have been told to buy up there instead of down around the League City/Clear Lake area and what not. Those people have already seen prices in homes they have been looking at jump quite bit. So unless ya can get in now you will be paying both arms and both legs to live up there instead of just an arm and a leg. Know that Fairfax was a possibility for inside source and they ended up telling them no that they were transferring back to Houston because of this whole thing. So yes it is happening it is just a matter how how long it will take.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:51 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
Not ALL offices are moving. The "Marine" depts. staying put.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:12 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,164,465 times
Woodlands is an awful location for any higher-income professionals: distant from most desirable residential areas, competent private schools, good bars/restaurants, etc etc

EC/Galleria area is the most convenient, efficient office corridor of Houston

Doubt the guys in convenient Irving are going to uproot their comfortable lives out of HighlandPark/PrestonHollow to deal w/Woodlands nonsense, esp in era of videoconferencing...and underlings can easily take an Exxon bird to visit bosses in Irving for ?mthly or qtrly face-to-face mtgs

If anything, wouldn't be surprised if Exxon relocated its small HQ staff (only ~300 people total) out of Irving to Geneva (like ?Transocean and others), both for tax reasons and to express indignation about the clueless commies running Wash these days...

Old 06-20-2010, 01:25 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,328,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
So yes it is happening it is just a matter how how long it will take.

That's not an accurate statement. Like a previous poster mentioned, the company is in the middle of a complete evaluation of their real estate holdings / needs. If you know anything about Exxon as a company, you should know that they are very process oriented and take their time to make decisions -- especially something as drastic as uprooting thousands of employees at their downstream headquarters, and their company headquarters, and moving them across the country/state.

Will it happen? NOBODY KNOWS! It sure sounds like a realistic possibility, but until they've researched it, finished the evaluation, looked at all the options, etc, it's just speculation.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:31 PM

It's more than speculation. My cousin (a 30-yr employee) has been told by his manager to anticipate moving in 3-4 years and they already have a group in place in Houston to manage the move. There is a moratorium on any building renovations, office remodels, etc. No more money is being pumped into the building other than what is absolutely necessary for day-to-day operations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston