Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,726 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I just relocated for work near Katy and we are considering moving there from Spring. I know south of I-10 is better, but we simply can't afford to live there and plan to find a place north of I-10.

I'm not familiar with Katy and am wondering what area or neighborhood is good for location near restaurants/stores. I see a lot of available homes between Barker-Cypress and Mason road on the north side. Is this a good/safe area for children? I have an elementary school age child. Is the East or West side of Grand Parkway better? Better regarding schools/restaurants/stores. Commute to Houston is not an issue, but commute within Katy is worth considering.

Thanks,
Luglug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:01 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,311 times
I'll tell you a little secret... I live in Cinco Ranch, but sometimes I fantasize about living in Katy (proper) as in the town... zip 77493. It itself is a nice sized town... yet Katy Mills is just a flyover away. You have real city services (Mayor, police department) a lot of town support for the schools (Bush Elem, Katy JH, Katy HS) Fabulous parks, like Pekham park (free fishing, mini golf, even free indoor pool) Heritage Park, Forbidden Gardens, etc... Little mom & pop shops and annual town festival too (Rice Harvest Festival)

Anyway, if I were you I'd look there first. Also Williamsberg Settlement has withstood the test of time. If it must be new, there is a subdivion on Franz just west of 99. I can't recall the name. It seems pretty nice.

So check zip 77493....

I think the issue with many of the North Katy new boxy neighborhoods is that they built these cheep houses (from the $90's!) poor quality, instant gratification. Then came the whole North vs South and sadly perception became reality. North was "percieved" as lesser than... ergo anyone who cared moved south if they could afford it. Leaving behind absent landlords (who don't care), etc... North isn't inherently bad... just perception became reality.

I'll tell you another secret. The curriculuum at all KISD schools is the same. Really. You want to know another secret? My kids go to the newest elementary in Cinco Ranch (Stanley) Just opened last year, already exemplary. Principal (and some staff) is from north side (oh no!) Mayde Creek Elem... Is she suddenly a "better" principal just because she moved to a more prestigious school? Probably not... just perception.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Williamsburg Settlement, I agree. I also agree with the fact that schools districts provide the same education to each school. It's the parents and teachers that make one school better than the other...not a principal hell bent on TAKS scoring

You will often find parent reviews that glow about a school, but ratings on a website are average for it. Who are you going to believe more, the families in the school or any kind of ratings system?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:18 AM

240 posts, read 808,131 times
I lived off of N. Fry road in 77449 for many years. Convenient to grocery stores, home improvement stores, etc. I now live in Katy proper (77493)and LOVE it. It takes me a few minutes longer to get to where I need to go, but I love the atmosphere here. Life just seems to poke along at a slower pace. It may be tempting to buy one of the newer homes with all the "fixings" in 77449 but there are some older gems in Katy proper with good bones (better construction). This is just my opinion of course.

I have heard good things about Katy Elementary and Hutsell but you can check out their school report cards online. The above poster is correct about the curriculum in KISD. It is the same at every school.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:20 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default katy Proper

I also live in Katy proper, and we absolutely hate to commute, but like living here. Once we are at home, and on the weekend, we rarely ever go into Houston, most of what we need is close, and things are getting closer. A new HEB will open up in August, so we won't even have to get on the freeway anymore.

I think a lot of the stigma of North Katy has to do with the areas developed in the 80's and 90's where developers turned the fields into cookie cutter homes, no master planning other than planning on going to the banks.

That said, there are some neighborhoods that were built before that time, or after that which are not custom, but semi-custom in that they are not cookie cutter homes. I am speaking about the subdivisions in Ward A, across Katy highschool off of Bartlett. The houses seen from the street do not reflect the neighborhoods on the other side of those front streets.

There is also a small neighborhood across Katy High on North and South Woods lane off of 1463. But if you go down Avenue D toward you will see the old neighborhoods off of Magnolia, and such. If you cross Morton, you will come to Hunters Creek, again, very nice homes with big lots as compared to the new homes.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:47 AM

258 posts, read 954,709 times
How's the traffic in the morning/afternoon for those that live in Katy and work near downtown, or inside 610?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston