Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 07:33 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

I was talking about my telephoto lens, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,968 times
I don't really get the whole "Houston is Ugly" thing. It has nice buildings/homes and there are flowery trees everywhere. FLOWERY TREES. Sure it's not SF or something, but it's not really uglier than other average cities.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
...then why is it the 4th largest city in the US? I know the answer and you know the answer so..... there you go. Such questions are irrelevant.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Houston is very ugly and very boring, but it has JOBS.

People don't move to Houston because it is pretty or a fun city. People move here to work.

This is the energy capital of the world, so there are plenty of opportunities to make a living here.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

People don't move to Houston because it is pretty or a fun city. People move here to work.

This is the energy capital of the world, so there are plenty of opportunities to make a living here.
I never bought the ugly thing either. I've never seen a downtown with more trees, more greenery, more parks. And when you go out to the EC, instead of the huge ugly concrete monsters you see these beautiful office parks that look more like resorts then boring office buildings. The skyline at night downtown honestly is one of the nicest in the country.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM

489 posts, read 621,547 times
I was born in Bakersfield, CA. Now THAT is ugly! Houston seems very much above average to me.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:

Maybe the real problem is we have boring people moving here.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:

This.
Just like Houston isn't a "let's grab some plane tickets and go visit for the weekend fun" type of city. You come to tour for living/work and visit family. Not leisure on it's own. It just is what it is and there's nothing wrong with that. Trying to make Houston something it's not though....it's a working city/place to live. I think of Houston as a settle.

Someone awhile back made that comparison. You just want to get married so you settle with the best for your life. That's Houston. She's not gorgeous and you're not romance novel, head over heels but she'll cook you a good meal and you'll be content for your days. He's going to provide and be a good father and you guys great parents and partners but not deep, semi-deep "love."

Kind of like being 30 something getting close to 40 and saying okay I'll marry my best friend because I want kids and a home life and time is ticking on finding the storybook, "love"

I thought Downtown Miami was quite pretty. The water does help some

Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
This.
Just like Houston isn't a "let's grab some plane tickets and go visit for the weekend fun" type of city. You come to tour for living/work and visit family. Not leisure on it's own. It just is what it is and there's nothing wrong with that. Trying to make Houston something it's not though....it's a working city/place to live. I think of Houston as a settle.

Someone awhile back made that comparison. You just want to get married so you settle with the best for your life. That's Houston. She's not gorgeous and you're not romance novel, head over heels but she'll cook you a good meal and you'll be content for your days. He's going to provide and be a good father and you guys great parents and partners but not deep, semi-deep "love."

Kind of like being 30 something getting close to 40 and saying okay I'll marry my best friend because I want kids and a home life and time is ticking on finding the storybook, "love"

I thought Downtown Miami was quite pretty. The water does help some
This is actually a fair comparison. The funny thing is, anyone can up and leave for NY tomorrow (sexy young girl) but few people seem to leave Houston for NY. Now why is that? I go on the NY forums and I have yet to see a moving from Houston to NY thread but down here, we get several moving from NY to Houston threads.

Come on guys, give NY a shot! You know the old saying, live in NY once in your life but leave before it makes you hard. Live in SF once, but leave before it makes you soft. Especially all you single people on here, what's stopping you. Just live there for a year. You only live once.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 AM

8 posts, read 23,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
I don't really get the whole "Houston is Ugly" thing. It has nice buildings/homes and there are flowery trees everywhere. FLOWERY TREES. Sure it's not SF or something, but it's not really uglier than other average cities.
Yes, Houston is uglier than most cities of comparable size (metro area). Here is what I notice that makes Houston uniquely uglier than most:

A plethora of exposed utility wiring stringing from telephone pole to telephone pole
Billboards (though this is getting better)
Lack of zoning
Litter on the sides of the road that mostly comes flying out of our MANY pickup trucks.
Lack in pride of home ownership/Lawn upkeep (this may have to do with lack of zoning)

So yes, Houston is ugly compared to older cities like Boston. But I didn't choose Houston because of its looks.....I chose it because of its warm weather year-round.

Boring? I don't think it is. The only thing I don't like about Houston is that there is not an entertainment district where you can walk from bar-to-bar. Even on Washington Avenue you have to drive between bars. But there is plenty to do. If you're bored in Houston, you'll be bored anywhere.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
The reason Houston is "ugly" is because it has no zoning. This forces nearly everyone to drive through the ugliest parts of the city to get places whether they like it or not.

When I lived in Wicker Park in Chicago, I didn't ever have to go to ugly parts of the city.

If you lived in Manhattan, would you go to the worst parts of the Bronx just for funsies? (Yankees games excluded)

Oh, and to the poster who said something about the wires, +1. THAT drives me nuts here. Driving between Uptown and 8 on Westheimer is ugly due to this (yet for some reason, San Felipe from the Galleria to Voss isn't like this, hmmmm....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston