Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 68,348 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Houston sometime in the next year. We're looking to buy a place close to downtown, and preferably under $300K. Although we adore neighborhoods like West U., for their low crime rate, manicured lawns, and gorgeous homes, they're not in our price range.

I've heard people talk about Midtown... Specifically "Midtown Village" by Juliet Homes. What are these homes like? The pictures on Juliet's website look great, but I'm wondering what the area around the "village" is like. Low crime rate/safety is our #1 priority, as we're looking to start a family soon...

Does anyone have any other suggestions for neighborhoods to look at?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
I assume you have been checking on HAR, so be sure and check these neighborhoods. I am going to start with the more "tame" options.

If you jump Braes Bayou heading south, you can find nice neighborhoods that are inside the loop, and can be bought in for under $300k if you are willing to do some work. These are mostly ranch style homes and include:

Willow Meadows
Linkwood
Woodside
Woodshire
Westridge
Knollwood Village

Don't expect a slew of choices, but it can be done.

You can head north into Timbergrove and Lazybrook and still be inside the loop. Again, these are more ranch type homes. Garden Oaks is another very popular choice that I would put high on your list. It has large lots, big trees, and West U type homes. Shepherd Park Plaza and Candlelight Oaks which are adjacent to Garden Oaks on the north offer some large 60's era 2 story homes.

I would also highly recommend Idylwood in east Houston. It is really close in and very well maintained. A great West U alternative although retail options are not great. Also put University Oaks on the list.

You are not going to find much in Montrose under $300k, but you can still do Heights, Woodland Heights, & Norhill, which are all great areas. Eastwood is another option with some great craftsman style homes, however, you do have to deal with transitional neighborhood factors. It is not a pristine West U type environment although it is gentrifying.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 68,348 times
Thank you so much! Yes, I've been looking at HAR, but wanted some specific neighborhoods to look in. I appreciate your help!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 16,327 times
I have been doing some research on areas in Houston. I particularly like the homes in Candlelight Oaks. How are the schools there? I have a 3 year old but I am thinking about future schooling as well. Are there pre-schools in the area? What about safety? How is the commute to downtown? Do most people in this area work downtown? I am trying to keep my commute to a minimum.

Thanks for any input provided.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:55 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhilly View Post
I have been doing some research on areas in Houston. I particularly like the homes in Candlelight Oaks. How are the schools there? I have a 3 year old but I am thinking about future schooling as well. Are there pre-schools in the area? What about safety? How is the commute to downtown? Do most people in this area work downtown? I am trying to keep my commute to a minimum.

Thanks for any input provided.
Candlelight Oaks, if it is the one I am thinking of, is between Antoine and TC Jester. The area will definitely get mixed reviews. I don't know the schools real well over there, but I would be very surprised if they were good performing ones.
It does have pretty good access to downtown and the Galleria. Not great access like living right inside the loop, but decent. The homes are large and affordable.

The down side is Antoine is very rough because of the apartments. Find Desoto St. and Antoine on the map and note the proximity. There have been a number of murders on Desoto. At one time there was an article about it in the paper but I can't find the link. Not sure how much of that criminal activity spills over or not.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Chron.com has a way of having stories suddenly become inaccessible....

Upper Midtown still has that damn Greyhound station and it still doesn't exactly make a good neighbor for the folks in 2016 Main and anywhere else in the area. Take a look at the crime maps over there. If it's not welded shut it could get broken into over there. I've read that the security at 2016 itself is airtight but walking over to the McDonald's across Main at night is a veritable adventure. If they could ever find somewhere to move that station, I think the residential demand would rise in that area. It's too good of a location to have what it's got there right now.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 9,029 times
You might check out West 23rd Street Development, which is a custom homebuilder /remodeller that focuses on craftsman style homes in the Houston area. That might help you get the desired craftsman home in the neighborhood you want.

Good luck.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 09-24-2007 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: No website link please; advertising.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:46 AM

14 posts, read 89,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future-houstonian View Post
My husband and I are moving to Houston sometime in the next year. We're looking to buy a place close to downtown, and preferably under $300K. Although we adore neighborhoods like West U., for their low crime rate, manicured lawns, and gorgeous homes, they're not in our price range.

I've heard people talk about Midtown... Specifically "Midtown Village" by Juliet Homes. What are these homes like? The pictures on Juliet's website look great, but I'm wondering what the area around the "village" is like. Low crime rate/safety is our #1 priority, as we're looking to start a family soon...

Does anyone have any other suggestions for neighborhoods to look at?

Thanks!
Hi "Future Houstonian". The homes by Juliet in "Midtown Village" have nice finishes, it's a "gated" community and the homes facing Delano St. have nice views of Downtown (that's until the vacant lot across the street is built out). I don't think there are any builder homes left there but you may find some resales. Although it's called "Midtown" Village, it's not really in what most would call Midtown (south of 45, west of 288, north of Elgin & east of Taft. It's on the "East" side of Downtown which is "up and coming" as Midtown was 6-7 years ago. You'll find several builders in there right now. Most new construction there are Townhomes.

As one poster suggested, there are smaller neighborhoods on the out skirts of West University that may work for you. Knollwood Village is a good "family neighborhood" however the homes prices there continue to rise. It would be a good deal to find something there under 300K. However, currently, you should be able to find a nice home in the $320's. Not sure what they will be a year from now if they continue to rise as they have over the past year. You may want to check out Meyerland & Maplewood areas as well. They have the same style of homes in Knollwood, single story ranch, but the prices are slightly lower. Although these places are not in the proximity of Downtown, they're closer than the "suburbs".

Another area to consider is the Heights. The Heights is constantly growing with new construction everywhere. Lots of the older little cottages are being renovated and it's very close to Downtown.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:38 AM

377 posts, read 1,345,666 times
How about the flooding issues (if any) on these n'hoods

Willow Meadows
Linkwood
Woodside
Woodshire
Westridge
Knollwood Village

Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretogo View Post
How about the flooding issues (if any) on these n'hoods

Willow Meadows
Linkwood
Woodside
Woodshire
Westridge
Knollwood Village
TSARP.org has a comprehensive map of areas of concern. I believe that each of these areas has pockets that flooded during Allison (I lived in Willow Meadows during Allison), but in general that was seen as a lifetime event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston