Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 PM

11 posts, read 22,261 times

Advertisements

I am 28 years old, and was wondering how well do Houston Colleges and Universities pay their financial aid counselors, and Assistant/Associate Directors of Financial Aid. I have been working as a Financial Aid Counselor in Pittsburgh for the past 8 years. And when I move to Houston, I plan to be working in the same field. We get paid here in the area of Financial Aid between 30k-45k. Does Houston pay in the same range? I also wanted to know about the area of Jersey Village? I am planning to visit and next month to look at apartments in that area? Can you give me some info, crime, population, distance to downtown, Houston? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 PM

346 posts, read 739,246 times
I actually am not familiar with jersey villiage. This city is so big and there are so many areas that i'm not familiar with them all, however I will tell you that even if the pay isn't more than 45 thousand, that will go quite a ways in houston. You can enjoy youre money more in this city than most other places due to the low cost of living.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times
I am bewildered about Jersey Village - did you pick that area because of something? One of the things that is continuously brought up on these type of threads is: get a job first, THEN pick your living location accordingly. Jersy Village seems so random - and may be a nightmare commute - depending on where the job is located.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
My advice is don't become an Astros fan. You'll be no better off than a Pirates fan.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I am bewildered about Jersey Village - did you pick that area because of something? One of the things that is continuously brought up on these type of threads is: get a job first, THEN pick your living location accordingly. Jersy Village seems so random - and may be a nightmare commute - depending on where the job is located.

I chose Jersey Village due to the great school district (Cyfair) as I have a 7 year old daughter, who is gifted and I would like her to continue having academic success at a great school district and because its not too far or too close to the inner city. I am not looking to buy a home, I will be in an apartment, and the apartments that I have researched so far in that area are beautiful and reasonably priced. I will be visiting Houston next month, so I will be able to get a better idea of the city and Jersey Village as well, because I will be looking at a few apartments. I have spoken with three different apartment locators in the Houston Area (Even though I felt I didn't need them, because I pretty much had my mind made up about Jersey Village) and all three stated that I did not really need their assistance, because what I am looking for (low crime, good school district, distance, close shopping) is in Jersey Village. Do you have any other suggestions. Most of the university and colleges (for-profit and non-profit) are in close proximity to downtown, houston. Would the commute from Jersey Village be a nightmare, if my place of employment were downtown? Do you have any other suggestions?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,687 times
If you have to be in downtown from 8-5, then yes, the drive to and from Jersey Village will indeed be a drag.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
If you have to be in downtown from 8-5, then yes, the drive to and from Jersey Village will indeed be a drag.

Thanks for your response! It's greatly appreciated Can you tell me approx. How long the commute may take?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM

860 posts, read 1,585,015 times
Before you decide on moving to Houston to work in higher education, you may want to do a good bit more homework. There are websites listing every college and university in or near Houston; others have all the available job openings for executive, academic and support positions.

Please be aware that most colleges and universities here are doing everything possible to cut expenses. This includes hiring freezes, elimination of positions and consolidation of departments.

You stated that most of the colleges and universities are in close proximity to downtown Houston. However, this is not the case. The University of Houston has a major campus in Clear Lake in addition to its central campus in southeast Houston. These are miles away from The University of Houston/Downtown, which is a separate institution entirely. Rice University, St. Thomas and Houston Community College/Main Campus are in Midtown/Montrose/Museum District. Houston Baptist University is located near Sharpstown mall in southwest Houston. Lone Star College (formerly North Harris-Montgomery College) and other community colleges have numerous locations in far-flung suburban areas, some as far north as The Woodlands. Your job location could be anywhere. In fact, you may be expected to commute to several different campuses -- day, night, or both.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
Before you decide on moving to Houston to work in higher education, you may want to do a good bit more homework. There are websites listing every college and university in or near Houston; others have all the available job openings for executive, academic and support positions.

Please be aware that most colleges and universities here are doing everything possible to cut expenses. This includes hiring freezes, elimination of positions and consolidation of departments.

You stated that most of the colleges and universities are in close proximity to downtown Houston. However, this is not the case. The University of Houston has a major campus in Clear Lake in addition to its central campus in southeast Houston. These are miles away from The University of Houston/Downtown, which is a separate institution entirely. Rice University, St. Thomas and Houston Community College/Main Campus are in Midtown/Montrose/Museum District. Houston Baptist University is located near Sharpstown mall in southwest Houston. Lone Star College (formerly North Harris-Montgomery College) and other community colleges have numerous locations in far-flung suburban areas, some as far north as The Woodlands. Your job location could be anywhere. In fact, you may be expected to commute to several different campuses -- day, night, or both.
Thanks for the response, I am totally aware of the other campus locations, as it is the same way here in pittsburgh, where there are branch locations of major universities and community colleges. I'm just being ideal and not complicated for the most part. Is there a reason why most universities are doing these freezes, and consolidations, etc....because I received a call back recently from 3 college institutions (The Art Institute of Houston, Houston Community College, Lone Star College) wanting to hire me on the spot, just by telephone interviewing and willing to assist with relocation. So is is the econonmy that is causing these changes or are you just telling me about one or two colleges that you have heard about on the news or something?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:42 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghNative1111 View Post
Thanks for the response, I am totally aware of the other campus locations, as it is the same way here in pittsburgh, where there are branch locations of major universities and community colleges. I'm just being ideal and not complicated for the most part. Is there a reason why most universities are doing these freezes, and consolidations, etc....because I received a call back recently from 3 college institutions (The Art Institute of Houston, Houston Community College, Lone Star College) wanting to hire me on the spot, just by telephone interviewing and willing to assist with relocation. So is is the econonmy that is causing these changes or are you just telling me about one or two colleges that you have heard about on the news or something?
Congratulations on receiving 3 firm offers! Your area of expertise must be in great demand. Academically, Lone Star and HCC have fairly good reputations; Art Institute of Houston...eh, not so much.

Yes, the budget cutting I mentioned previously is caused by the current economy. Friends and relatives employed by universities and community colleges alike are telling me about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston