Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 PM

49 posts, read 114,545 times

Advertisements

Did you all see there is a show that is set in Houston. It is called "Lone Star". Curious to see it this fall .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
Unfortunately, it's about a 2 timing cheat and scoundrel. I hope they won't have too many stereotypes like that show Dallas. To this day, many people around the country and world imagine all Texans with cowboy hats and maverick attitudes. At the other end of the spectrum, hope they don't portray us all as Enron-type scoundrels either. Lol. I'm curious to see it though.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:38 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
A bit OT but I was watching "Reba" the other night & the dialogue was about traffic on I-10 and the 45 - how bad it was. LOL

Old 09-09-2010, 02:04 AM

4 posts, read 7,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EleciaF View Post
Did you all see there is a show that is set in Houston. It is called "Lone Star". Curious to see it this fall .
I was visiting my mother a couple months ago, and she likes Lifetime/Hallmark movies. The male lead in Lone Star, James Wolk, was in a Hallmark movie called Front of the Class, based on a true story about a young man with bad tourettes who eventually became a very successful school teacher. I didn't really care for the movie (no violence, death, swearing, nudity, etc) but Wolk did a remarkable job with his character. It was way too good for him to have just done it for the paycheck.

I looked up his IMDB (James Wolk) and he's got very few credits for a guy who just got his own TV show on Fox. He's got some chops. I'll watch it just to see what he does with his character.

Anyways, I think the South has had some good PR on tv shows lately. From Friday Night Lights to The Good Guys (a funny cop show set in Dallas) to even True Blood, they all make southerns out to be the sort of blue collar, family-oriented people you'd find in any working class community.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:18 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Unfortunately, it's about a 2 timing cheat and scoundrel. I hope they won't have too many stereotypes
It could be worse, ABC has a show coming out called "Detroit 1-8-7"

Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM

571 posts, read 1,281,440 times
Interesting. I think it's just an unfortunate coincidence that the oil industry (with the recent BP spill) is being uncovered as less than perfect and that most of it seems to be based in Houston.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post

Hey, I was born there!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 AM

344 posts, read 1,186,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
They should call it something like, "Detroit - will the last person to leave please turn out the lights."

Hmmm 187, isn't that the California Penal Code section for Homicide? What does that have to do with Michigan? Sounds like another unrealistic and not very well researched show.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:38 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLizardo View Post
They should call it something like, "Detroit - will the last person to leave please turn out the lights."
Wow, sounds like either:

1. You weren't in Houston in the early '80's; or

2. You've forgotten that this little ditty was ascribed to Houston then.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM

344 posts, read 1,186,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Wow, sounds like either:

1. You weren't in Houston in the early '80's; or

2. You've forgotten that this little ditty was ascribed to Houston then.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Maybe you have access to different statistics than I do. But I've been here since the late 1970's and the population has done nothing but increase in that time. Growth slowed in the 1980's because of the oil bust, but between 1980-1990 the metro area population grew by more than half a million people.

Detroit's population has been declining steadily since the 1950's Images [Mackinac Center for Public Policy]

Just sayin'...

In One Home, a Mighty City's Rise and Fall - WSJ.com

Detroit's Do-It-Yourselfers Provide City Services - WSJ.com

How Do You Put the Dump Into Dump Truck? Push It Off the Fourth Floor - WSJ.com

Black Flight is the New Worry for Detroit - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston