Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,884 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering a move to the Houston Area from New Jersey in the next year or so. TBH I am 90% convinced we WILL move.

We are primarily looking for areas with excellent public schools..some diversity would be good, even though I recognize it won't be like NJ.

I work from home, so distance from work is not a consideration. It would be nice not to be too far away from downtown Houston (45 mins to 1 hr is fine).

Can you guys give me pointers as to what parts of the Houston area I should be looking into? What areas to avoid?

(BTW I did visit The Woodlands a few years ago, looks like a nice area, but seems pretty far from the City)

TIA

PS If it helps any, We have 2 kids , 2 & 4 and we are in our mid - late 30s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 02:20 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,207,643 times
It's going to matter as to budget. Think of monthly payment instead of a total house price, because of our higher property taxes here. An example: a $250K house will run roughly $1900 - $2200 per month, with taxes, insurance and mortgage. Milage will vary because of differing tax rate/insurance rate.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,884 times
We're coming from NJ, so property taxes don't scare us As for budget, we are not looking to throw away money, but feel free to recommend anything as long as we are not talking anything more than $400k or so.

IMHO Looking at monthly payment instead of total price is always a bad idea.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,207,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balubalu View Post
We're coming from NJ, so property taxes don't scare us As for budget, we are not looking to throw away money, but feel free to recommend anything as long as we are not talking anything more than $400k or so.

IMHO Looking at monthly payment instead of total price is always a bad idea.
Yeah, but it is a better gauge if people are coming in from a location with low property taxes. A monthly payment ruler will make sure they shift down in price sufficiently.

Fairfield, Cinco Ranch, Greatwood, Bridgeland, New Territory, and Towne Lakes. Three are in Cypress, one in Katy and two in Sugar Land.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:32 PM

95 posts, read 322,743 times
If commute is not a factor and schools are important, I would definitely take a look at the Cypress area. (Fairfield, Bridgeland, Towne Lake, Cypress Creek Lakes, Coles Crossing, Longwood Village, and many others)

We have lived out here for almost 11 years and have loved it. The schools are excellent, lots of shopping / restaurants / etc, and a wide variety of neighborhoods to choose from.

The biggest drawback is the commute because Hwy 290 is long overdue expansion. However, during non-rush hour times, it only takes 30 minutes or so to get to downtown.

Take a look at har.com if you have not done so already.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:59 PM

469 posts, read 1,101,712 times
I would look at Katy, Sugar land, and parts of Missouri City(ie Riverstone/Sienna Plantation). All will give you more home for your money and has enough around it to keep you entertained but close enough that you don't mind driving into the city when you need to.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,673 times
It depends on what you'd like. A lot of people recommend Katy, but it literally offers nothing but new housing (think the same house street after street) and somewhat good schools. If you don't mind huge subdivisions, a huge Christian/Republican population, and no public transportation, then this place will be great for you. If, however, you'd like some diversity and culture, I'd look at another suburb of Houston.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,742,914 times
Spring Branch is a great school district in Houston but 400k gets you a smaller/older house. Frankly there are good areas with good schools on all sides of Houston. Are there any other factors important to you?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 AM

948 posts, read 894,942 times
NEW JERSEY???? Where's my rope???

Ok, so my girls from NJ so I guess I'll allow you in to my beloved country. But be more specific. Whats ya ethnicity, politics, religion, educational background, etc. Man, we gotta know all that before we can situate ya somewheres!

And no srsly, I mean it. I lived all over Houston plus I was in the real estate bidness so I know whats hot, whats not and whats just plain scary.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,127,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL1 View Post
NEW JERSEY???? Where's my rope???

Ok, so my girls from NJ so I guess I'll allow you in to my beloved country. But be more specific. Whats ya ethnicity, politics, religion, educational background, etc. Man, we gotta know all that before we can situate ya somewheres!

And no srsly, I mean it. I lived all over Houston plus I was in the real estate bidness so I know whats hot, whats not and whats just plain scary.

I have a feeling that OP is NOT of the NJ reality shows ilk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston