Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:04 PM

686 posts, read 1,168,369 times

Advertisements

Money worries force Metro to slow rail plans | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Facing a $49 million budget shortfall this fiscal year, the Metropolitan Transit Authority has begun to slow construction on two light rail lines and may embrace more drastic measures in the coming months as uncertainty grows over a $800 million grant from the Federal Transit Administration.
Senior Metro officials emphasized that they did not anticipate any cuts to services due to the financial pressures and expressed confidence the FTA grant needed to pay for an estimated 30 miles of additional rail in Houston is forthcoming. But they nevertheless have begun to weigh the impact of continued delays on construction plans that anticipated completion in 2013.
"There's going to be some tough choices that we'll be making here, no doubt," Metro Chairman Gilbert Garcia said.
So far, officials said, the work that has been put off has been minimal on the North line, which is expected to run from north Houston to the Texas Medical Center and Reliant Park. Metro has delayed road reconstruction work on Fulton Street and has put off awarding a contract for the expansion and construction of a rail facility on Fannin at the south end of the line near Reliant Park and the 610 Loop.
Those delays could just mark the beginning, Metro's Acting President and CEO George Greanias said...........................
I just don't know what to say. It's one obstacle after another. How embarassing would it be to have one freaking 6 mile toy line and nothing else. We voted for rail and they need to make it happen. I'm tired of the excuses. And if the the FTA under a Democratic Administration will not secure funding for Metro, that means Metro must really be a screwed up organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 03:09 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default Could be worse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Money worries force Metro to slow rail plans | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I just don't know what to say. It's one obstacle after another. How embarassing would it be to have one freaking 6 mile toy line and nothing else. We voted for rail and they need to make it happen. I'm tired of the excuses. And if the the FTA under a Democratic Administration will not secure funding for Metro, that means Metro must really be a screwed up organization.
Look on the bright side, they could have taxed you to make up the shortfall! They did the right thing for once; in my house, if money is tight, we don't keep spending, and cut back. Period. Simple as that.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:22 PM

686 posts, read 1,168,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Look on the bright side, they could have taxed you to make up the shortfall! They did the right thing for once; in my house, if money is tight, we don't keep spending, and cut back. Period. Simple as that.
I don't mind being taxed for something that I will use, that's why I voted for rail. But 2 things are obvious, Metro is pretty incompetent and there is a concerted effort to stop mass transit in Houston. It's just very fustrating and I wouldn't be surprised if the entire project is shelved. But point taken hook.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
METRO should be dismantled and they should start over, from scratch, and make a proper regional transit authority that will bring things to the next level around here. The one line will be there, so build from that.

This isn't so much from opposition but from METRO itself being incompetent.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:06 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Can't say I'm surprised at all.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:44 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times
Man this is bulls$%%$! This city can't catch a break for nothing. If we don't have Tom Derail Delay fu$$%ng things up for us or Frank CEO sticky fingerz Wilson pocketing money, we have indefinite delays due to budget reasons. I share the O/P's frustration. Other cities seem like they can get it done with no problem (IE Dallas, Charlotte, Phoenix). This town's about to be left in the dust.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Man this is bulls$%%$! This city can't catch a break for nothing. If we don't have Tom Derail Delay fu$$%ng things up for us or Frank CEO sticky fingerz Wilson pocketing money, we have indefinite delays due to budget reasons. I share the O/P's frustration. Other cities seem like they can get it done with no problem (IE Dallas, Charlotte, Phoenix). This town's about to be left in the dust.
Theyve had problems aswell. The only city thats doing well is Denver with all of its PPP's. Even here in the NYC region we had set backs ,but only on projects with less then 500 million.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,439,076 times
I don't know the exact statistics, but Metro was using something like 90% of their budget on a project that serviced about 1% of the metro population. Yuck.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM

346 posts, read 739,645 times
Yea the possibility of a good inner city rail system is the only reason why I have a hope of living my life here in houston. And will attract many young professionals to the inner loop, they scratch that and I dont know if i want to live here, driving ONLY isn't very much of an option

Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
I don't know the exact statistics, but Metro was using something like 90% of their budget on a project that serviced about 1% of the metro population. Yuck.
That point takes us to this recent thread:

Houston: Density & Land Area of Inner Loop (610)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston