Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

Why not stop in at Junction or Hefleys on Gray for a beer and burger one evening, then drive behind the bars to see what the neighborhood looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM

332 posts, read 532,723 times
I think what this whole Houston thread needs is someone to make a map of houston with colored boundaries of all of houston neighborhoods and suburbs. Then another one for the areas and districts. Its getting a little confuising for me. And i was born here!

But as everyone says Midtown on the East side of Main Street (THe ChooCHoo train) is ghetto, while the West side is nicer.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 PM

19 posts, read 45,309 times
This neighborhood is still changing. If you have a family I would say its not a great area for that. But I wouldnt go so far as to say to avoid it. The Camden Apartments and Urban loft homes are filled with young hipster types. Its true there are some sketchy spots, and there are some unsavory types, but I think there is also some upside to this neighborhood as well.
The state of the economy has most of the land developer types waiting it out before they continue to build on the eyesores...
The same people who tell you to stay away from this area would mostly tell you to stay away from the Heights, parts of the Washington Corridor, and alot of Midtown...What all these areas have in common is that they are all gentrifying. And its the bars, restaurants, markets and businesses around it there are the clear indicators of what direction the neighborhood is heading.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 914 times
Default Realtor specializes in Midtown

Hi Everyone,

I live and work in Midtown, Third Ward, as a Realtor and founder CEO of Midtown Retreat Salon & Day Spa since 1997. It is much, much better now, I love it! I know the area well. Please let me know if need help with leasing, buying, or selling real estate. Trangly.kwrealty.com

Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
You could not pay me to live in that area. It is all black and super super poor. It used to be projects in the 70s. To tear it down they made a deal to put in low income housing. It is a blight on the area. I won't even walk through that area when going to the art car parade.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
You could not pay me to live in that area. It is all black and super super poor. It used to be projects in the 70s. To tear it down they made a deal to put in low income housing. It is a blight on the area. I won't even walk through that area when going to the art car parade.
Schumacher no likey black poor people even when going to see white people parade around in fun cars.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:17 AM

392 posts, read 998,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Schumacher no likey black poor people even when going to see white people parade around in fun cars.
Last time I was cruising through there 3 dudes jumped out from behind a fence and tried to block my path, then actually tried to chase my ass down for a few seconds yelling YO mayne lemme holla at yo fo a minute. I didn't stick around to find out what they wanted.

Lol they didn't realize how fast this white boy can get going on a longboard.

Think I have actually read/seen an article linked here on CD about people doing the same thing on that bike trail, the rails to trails one. They ambush cyclists, knock them off their bikes, steal the bike & mug them. Pretty sure that's what almost happened to me and your naive if you think it can't happen to you walking around that neighborhood or many others.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:53 AM

693 posts, read 1,108,054 times
It is sad that area is such good real estate but has such lousy residents. How the folks living there have not been taxed out yet, I don't know. And it is complete crap there is low income housing in that area.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
It is sad that area is such good real estate but has such lousy residents. How the folks living there have not been taxed out yet, I don't know. And it is complete crap there is low income housing in that area.
You can probably bet that 99% of the residents there don't want the thugs that rob and mug folks living in their neighborhood either. Low income folks have just as much right to be there as anyone else. They were there long before Montrose or Midtown took off.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,808 times
I've seen townhomes now going all up on West Dallas street, starting from Taft. Guess it won't be long before this neighborhood gets overtaken as well, with its prime location and easy access to downtown from west Dallas. Heck I've even watched a few people walk from their downtown building to that new restaurant The Refinery near Tony's Corner Pocket, since it's so close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston