Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 AM

30 posts, read 99,789 times

Advertisements

Hello all, FireFrost here. I have some questions about venturing into real estate if they can be answered.

Prologue: (can be skipped if you like)

For a while now, I've been debating on what computer science courses I wanted to go into because I've been a computer geek all my life. But, the more I thought about it, the more I found to be stressed out and that looking at nice neighborhoods and properties, watching a lot of HGTV (my favorite channel), and the like was calming and relaxing and fun. I had applied to San Jacinto College in Houston to get my AS in CS and transfer to Texas A&M for my BS. As I was browsing San Jac for classes for next year (transcript holdup prevented me from starting this past fall, I saw they offered real estate. I decided to read it over and then, and it finally hit on me: real estate.

Questions:

Does anyone have any opinions on getting a real estate degree from a college? I saw it satisfies requirements for the licensing exam and the like. And San Jac's touts it's recently acquired Exemplary Workforce Education Program rating by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) that not all university programs can get. I would be going for an AS in Real Estate but also contemplating going to the University of North Texas to get a bachelors in the field and then to Texas A&M for a masters or UNT itself for a masters. I know it is very ambitious and I am ready and willing. I love this, I want to do it, it's finally clicked that this is what I was meant to do. And yes, I'm in it for the love, not the money; the good times and the baaaaad as we have seen. So...any opinion?

Also, any opinion on a bachelors or masters degree in the field? I was looking at these because it said you can also go into residential or commercial, property management, mortgage banking, brokerage, leasing, appraisal, site location, etc. These were listed under the bachelors in RE from UNT. I want to stick my fingers in everything, I want to see where this career takes me. So, please, any additional guidance I should know about? Maybe, should I talk to some of the major RE companies here for advice too? Keller-Williams, Coldwell Banker, etc?

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:42 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
It might be a good idea to see if you can spend the day with a Realtor in your area. HGTV House Hunters is nothing like the real thing. In reality, this comes with a lot of stress.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:05 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
It might be a good idea to see if you can spend the day with a Realtor in your area. HGTV House Hunters is nothing like the real thing. In reality, this comes with a lot of stress.
Amen.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,310 times
Sounds like you possibly found a passion! Since you have time, try to volunteer and shadow for various RE jobs to make sure it is a true passion and not a passing fancy. Also explore back up career options.
I truly believe if you have a passion for something, and have reasonable amount of skill/aptitude and willing to work very hard, you will suceed at just about anything (again, need to have a reasonable amount of skill). Sorry I can't help with the questions regarding degrees in RE, but wish you the best of luck!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:20 PM

95 posts, read 322,658 times
What about doing both? Continue taking classes towards a computer science degree plus taking the classes needed to get your real estate licence online? You could then work on getting some real estate deals while you are taking classes for some side income once you get licensed.

I have a bachelors degree in Biomedical Engineering from Texas A&M, own a web development consultancy in Houston, and have been a licensed Realtor for over 5 years. I have been shifting my focus from my web consultancy to real estate over the past few months. My knowledge of web development and technology has been a big help on getting a jump start on that shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston