Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 AM

53 posts, read 175,859 times

Advertisements

So after 20+ years of know that I remotely have a brother out there somewhere, I finally met him and his family for the first time about a month ago!! I am so happy that I can't even stand it.

Now he wants me to move from Phoenix to Houston. I've visited there once and thought it was ok but I need some help in deciding this monumental decision...

I'm 31, no family, BSN with 3+ years in nursing, pull in about 50-55K/yr. I live very modestly and am looking for a young vibrant city with young professionals to hang with. Any thoughts??? Was looking towards "Pasedena" or even downtown Houston; so I can be by all the cool medical buildings, hehehe!!

Help me out peeps! What do you think? Im super excited and yet nervous at the same time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesx7d7 View Post
So after 20+ years of know that I remotely have a brother out there somewhere, I finally met him and his family for the first time about a month ago!! I am so happy that I can't even stand it.

Now he wants me to move from Phoenix to Houston. I've visited there once and thought it was ok but I need some help in deciding this monumental decision...

I'm 31, no family, BSN with 3+ years in nursing, pull in about 50-55K/yr. I live very modestly and am looking for a young vibrant city with young professionals to hang with. Any thoughts??? Was looking towards "Pasedena" or even downtown Houston; so I can be by all the cool medical buildings, hehehe!!

Help me out peeps! What do you think? Im super excited and yet nervous at the same time
Houston is good for you I think, really.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:17 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
First of all, congrats!

You would probably want to live in the inner city, inside the loop. But if your brother is the only family you will have in Houston, I would probably move near him. Where does he live?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:23 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
I wouldn't recommend Pasadena or any suburb really for a young single. Try looking at midtown - sandwiched perfectly in-between Downtown and the med center. Seems perfect for your age, status and profession.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:26 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I wouldn't recommend Pasadena or any suburb really for a young single. Try looking at midtown - sandwiched perfectly in-between Downtown and the center. Seems perfect for your age, status and profession.
Ditto.

Since you mentioned Pasadena, is it a good guess that is where your brother lives? If so, Midtown is not that far from family, without them beeing TOO near.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I wouldn't recommend Pasadena or any suburb really for a young single. Try looking at midtown - sandwiched perfectly in-between Downtown and the med center. Seems perfect for your age, status and profession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Ditto.

Since you mentioned Pasadena, is it a good guess that is where your brother lives? If so, Midtown is not that far from family, without them beeing TOO near.
Ditto to all the above.

If you live in midtown you will be very close to the medical center - which is perfect for your profession. As a nurse with 3 yrs experience, you should pull in about $60,000/yr or so (based on my experience anyway). Maybe a little more.

And it's very easy to get to the Pasadena area from midtown/medical center area. And you would go again rush hour, if you ever needed to head that way during those times. I used to live in the medical center area, and my husband worked in Pasadena. We only had one car, so I drove him to work every day. It was a breeze getting him there, but he never understood why I HATED coming back - because I had to deal with the rush hour traffic on the way back!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 01:23 PM

53 posts, read 175,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
First of all, congrats!

Where does he live?
Thanks for the heads up you guys! He lives right near the "Westpark Tollway" and the "Sam Houston Tollway" So I guess that puts him in the "Mission Bend" area???

I know living in the Phoenix area, it gets around 115 degrees in the dead of August but what about the downtown area of Houston during the summer?? Is the humidity really that killer???

I'm looking into Midtown, seems like a cool place. Is it somewhat of a crime ridden area??

Thanks again for the info, this really helps out a ton!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesx7d7 View Post
Thanks for the heads up you guys! He lives right near the "Westpark Tollway" and the "Sam Houston Tollway" So I guess that puts him in the "Mission Bend" area???

I know living in the Phoenix area, it gets around 115 degrees in the dead of August but what about the downtown area of Houston during the summer?? Is the humidity really that killer???

I'm looking into Midtown, seems like a cool place. Is it somewhat of a crime ridden area??

Thanks again for the info, this really helps out a ton!!!
It does get hot. But Houston is one of the most air conditioned cities in the world. You will be fine as long as you aren't planning to work outside.

Since he lives in the Mission Bend area, I'd even look into the Galleria area. I'd recommend staying with your brother for a month or so while you feel out the areas.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:04 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
No midtown isn't a crime ridden area .. it is an area of upscale professionals - mostly young and a lot of singles. The crime rate has gone up lately but it is as it goes - crime goes where the people go.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,662 times
Look for the job first. The Med Center is always looking for talented nursing staff. Good luck! Very often the hospitals have relocation help. I agree if you're young and single...midtown or perhaps Heights may be good for you. You can get to your brother in no time. That's one good thing about Houston you can get from point A to point B fairly quickly (not counting rush hour).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston