Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times

Advertisements

If yes, where in the area?

If no, then where?

If money was not an issue and you had to retire in a place in Houston and suburbs, where would it be?

Anyone retired already? How do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:12 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post

If no, then where?

If money was not an issue and you had to retire in a place in Houston and suburbs, where would it be?

Where can retirees have the most threesomes in Houston?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:52 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
I plan on retiring in New Mexico. Cloudcroft/Ruidoso area most likely. Cheap cheap cheap property taxes, utilities and cool summers.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,303 times
We have discussed retiring in Austin and dreaming of a place in Perdido Key Fl.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:10 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
^^
This.

All kidding aside, probably in my house till I can't live there any more, then either in with my son (I'd rather not...) or into a condo/retirement community somewhere (there're many of both located very near my house).

Lots of people say they want to retire to a rural area, after fighting the city all their lives.

Well---I can drive pretty much anywhere in Houston right now without ever taking a freeway. Before there was GPS, there were Key Maps, and I am happy to report that my old Key Map works just fine, thank you. Not only is it energy-efficient, I can leave it in the car in plain view anywhere I park and nobody wants to steal it.

The keys to driving in Houston without the freeways (as a retiree) are:
1. Allow plenty of time to get to your destination, and
2. Avoid the hours of 6:00 am --> 10:00 am and 4:00 pm --> 6:00 pm.

If I get too old/feeble/unable to drive, Metro will pick me up at the end of my street and take me anywhere in the city for a very reasonable price. 2 Kroger Signatures directly on the bus route from my house, along with Walgreen's and any number of restaurants (meaning, short ride with no transfers). I CAN get to the Texas Medical Center and Minute Maid Park on Metro (it'll take a long time for both, but if I'm retired, what difference does it make?).

My 91 year old aunt moved to her "dream house" out on the lake, 30 miles from the nearest town (Rogers, Arkansas). So, when her house caught fire last year, she and her son stood outside and watched it--and all her belongings, including family pictures/heirlooms, etc, go up in smoke--because the fire department couldn't get there. She broke her leg a couple of months ago, and it took the ambulance an hour to get there (they had to find it). She's totally dependent on the kindness of her son and his wife (of course, they love her so that's not an issue) to take her to the grocery store, etc., because that stuff is all 30 miles away---in town.

No thanks. I'll stay right here in Houston. If the bad guys come to kill me and take my stuff--well, I hope they don't. If I get to where I can't drive, I can still bus. It'll enable me to be independent as long as I possibly can.

Meanwhile, before I get too old, there're all kinds of advantages to living here, and I expect I will still like big movie houses, lots of choices in entertainment and dining, and two airports to take me anywhere I want to go.

The world's largest RV consignment store is here, so if I have a chance, I can RV for a while, then come home.

That's my plan anyway.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:55 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post

If no, then where?

We have a ranch in Brenham. I already spend most weekends there. I plan on spending more & more time there, and eventually retire there. Having spent my entire life in Houston (I'm 55), there is something restorative about being in the peace and quiet of a smaller town.

Another alternative is Colorado, especially the mountains. Great summers! But don't think we can afford it.

If I had to retire in Houston, I'd stay where I am. Southampton is a great, inner-city neighborhood, close to everything. Plus... I wouldn't have to pack & move.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Medical Center?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:42 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times
Going to retire to about 50 Acres somewhere in the mountains -- don't care where!

Old 12-31-2010, 07:21 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
^^
This.

All kidding aside, probably in my house till I can't live there any more, then either in with my son (I'd rather not...) or into a condo/retirement community somewhere (there're many of both located very near my house).

Lots of people say they want to retire to a rural area, after fighting the city all their lives.

Well---I can drive pretty much anywhere in Houston right now without ever taking a freeway. Before there was GPS, there were Key Maps, and I am happy to report that my old Key Map works just fine, thank you. Not only is it energy-efficient, I can leave it in the car in plain view anywhere I park and nobody wants to steal it.

The keys to driving in Houston without the freeways (as a retiree) are:
1. Allow plenty of time to get to your destination, and
2. Avoid the hours of 6:00 am --> 10:00 am and 4:00 pm --> 6:00 pm.

If I get too old/feeble/unable to drive, Metro will pick me up at the end of my street and take me anywhere in the city for a very reasonable price. 2 Kroger Signatures directly on the bus route from my house, along with Walgreen's and any number of restaurants (meaning, short ride with no transfers). I CAN get to the Texas Medical Center and Minute Maid Park on Metro (it'll take a long time for both, but if I'm retired, what difference does it make?).

My 91 year old aunt moved to her "dream house" out on the lake, 30 miles from the nearest town (Rogers, Arkansas). So, when her house caught fire last year, she and her son stood outside and watched it--and all her belongings, including family pictures/heirlooms, etc, go up in smoke--because the fire department couldn't get there. She broke her leg a couple of months ago, and it took the ambulance an hour to get there (they had to find it). She's totally dependent on the kindness of her son and his wife (of course, they love her so that's not an issue) to take her to the grocery store, etc., because that stuff is all 30 miles away---in town.

No thanks. I'll stay right here in Houston. If the bad guys come to kill me and take my stuff--well, I hope they don't. If I get to where I can't drive, I can still bus. It'll enable me to be independent as long as I possibly can.

Meanwhile, before I get too old, there're all kinds of advantages to living here, and I expect I will still like big movie houses, lots of choices in entertainment and dining, and two airports to take me anywhere I want to go.

The world's largest RV consignment store is here, so if I have a chance, I can RV for a while, then come home.

That's my plan anyway.
That sounds like an awesome plan! My mom has the same plan as you and I am thankful that she does!

Old 12-31-2010, 07:43 PM

649 posts, read 1,768,746 times
people who live in metro areas or good size cities seem to dream of retiring to mountains or at least "remote" area "to get away from it all"; I did that when i first retired.........lived in montana; wyoming, idaho, very small towns........at first it was a great breather....slow pace, low cost....but after awhile there's so many things i started missing.........like things to do with my time......and i'm not a couch potato, maybe if i was living in a remote or isolated area would have been great. I have lots of hobbies i love to do in doors but they aren't all that I like to do; still need variety in life........... going to the same place to eat and see the same two streets in town got pretty old pretty quick......and not to mention having to go through the adjustment with the locals who were always leary about accepting an outsider; especially a single female into their community........and it does make a difference on if you are "accepted" into the community if you are single. then there was the dealing with going back 10 years + on internet technology; dealing with dialup internet speeds because broadband speeds that big city people have been use to for years is just a dream for people in rual communities......slow life is a nice break but after awhile unless as i said you are a couch potato.........having choices for car trips, shops, parks, people, etc is a matter of quality of retirement i think.....then there's also the aspect of poor to nonexistance medical care in small remote communities.......and if you want to fly somewhere you have the big added expense and time of connections to a major airport in order to get anywhere. flying out of wyoming or idaho or montana doubled any air trip both in expense and days traveling as well. lots of things to consider before you ride off into the sunset for retirement. for me i've tried it all and i'll take the headaches of traffic and crime of a big metro area just so i don't get bored..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: