Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM

45 posts, read 99,300 times

Advertisements

Moving to Houston soon. I'll be working downtown and my wife will stay at home with our 1 year old.

Aside from the commute, what are the negatives to the Cinco area?

Do the home invasions that occur in Pearland, Fall Creek, Sugarland and MoCity also happen in Cinco? Yes, I realize crime can happen anywhere but HAS it happened in Cinco yet?

I'm not familiar with Houston, but from what I can tell by looking at maps, it appears that aside from Cinco and the Woodlands, most other subdivisions are surrounded by not so nice areas. Particularly those in the NE of Houston. Is this right? Are there rough areas close to Cinco?

The Woodlands is just too far out so we're not even considering that area. Right now, we're debating between the NE subdivisions, Kingwood, Summerwood, Eagle Springs, Fall Creek for the commute and Cinco for the peace of mind. Just curious if that peace of mind is based on reality or just a perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 AM

504 posts, read 1,155,915 times
Been in Cinco for 6 months (used to live downtown).

Enjoying it.

Haven't heard of any home invasions since I've been here. They community is very good about keeping everyone informed. I don't see any rough areas around it. They're proposing low-income housing near the edge of Cinco and residents are going crazy with the opposition.

No real downside as far as I can tell. I work downtown and commute everyday, I'm doing ok with it. It maybe too homogenized if that isn't your thing, but it doesn't bother me and I'm Asian.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 PM

68 posts, read 191,893 times
I live in Pine Mill Ranch which is a new construction neighborhood that backs up to Cinco. The area is very nice and we love it. Been out there just over a year now. We both commute into Houston for work and it is really not that bad IMO.

The only frustration for us is when we want to go out and have a nice dinner out, it is always usually at a chain restaurant. There are few choices in the area. I think restaurants, even different chain options that what we already have, are crazy for not building out there. People would flock to it. A Lupe Tortilla popped up off 99 not long ago and it is always packed.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM
FDO

105 posts, read 315,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
Been in Cinco for 6 months (used to live downtown).

Enjoying it.

Haven't heard of any home invasions since I've been here. They community is very good about keeping everyone informed. I don't see any rough areas around it. They're proposing low-income housing near the edge of Cinco and residents are going crazy with the opposition.

No real downside as far as I can tell. I work downtown and commute everyday, I'm doing ok with it. It maybe too homogenized if that isn't your thing, but it doesn't bother me and I'm Asian.
So, Katy- Cinco Ranch is better than Sugarland?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 PM

45 posts, read 99,300 times
Thanks for the responses. I'm not from the area but by looking at old threads, it seems everyone has something negative to say about every subdivision except Cinco.

The only negatives I hear about Cinco is the commute and the lack of trees/visually appealing terrain.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM
FDO

105 posts, read 315,753 times
I visited both Sugarland and Cinco Ranch and they are both nice. As far as crime, I would say both community is not immune to it. It can happen anytime. Remember, thieves go to nice area otherwise they wont get anything. And yes, Cinco is a bit far to downtown. But your trading a better and safer area too...Also, Houses in Cinco is cheaper compare to Sugarland. I actually like telfair.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM

504 posts, read 1,155,915 times
couldn't say, never lived in SL.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:13 PM

322 posts, read 712,598 times
Why not the MPC's near on N Eldridge a few miles north of the I-10? Twin Lakes, Lakes on Eldridge, Lakes on Eldridge North. 10-15 min drive to EC and less to Shell/Westcreek and BP.

Great pools, 24 hr gated/guarded community and closeness to Memorial (for Terry Hershey access), close to Bear Creek parks, shopping, and nice nights out at Town and Country. Lots of families with SAHMs and ladies activities for kids.

We bless the day we decided to not live in Katy for the commute and the cookie-cutterness (and chain restaurants.) We liked Woodlands, too, but not at the expense of the horrendous commute.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,568,881 times
...and keep going east on I-10 from Lakes of Eldridge, you can get out of MPCville completely and into less cookie cutter neighborhoods in the EC. More $$$ though.

Really, all along I-10 from Downtown, due west to Katyland is probably the nicest stretch in the city to live.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM

145 posts, read 383,857 times
If you are not involved in anything illegal and don't flash your money around, then your chances of being targeted for a home invasion are microscopic regardless of where you live. But it could happen to you anywhere and you need to be vigilant nonetheless. Thieves know and target the wealthier areas where the loot resides such as Sugar Land, Pearland, The Woodlands, Memorial, and , yes, Cinco Ranch. It's a smart business decision on their part.

There was a reported home invasion in Cinco Ranch in 2009 and one in nearby WoodCreek this past January. None were reported anywhere near my residence in Sugar Land during that time, although there were a few closer to the border with Alief. While there was a highly-publicized rash of reported home invasions a few years ago in Sugar Land, many of the victims in those cases either knew their attackers or were small business owners who had been targeted well in advance. I am tired of my neighborhood being unfairly made synonymous with home invasions when it is rare and clearly also happening everyplace else.

A retired teacher was killed during a home invasion a few years ago all the way out in Fulshear. Unfortunately, there is no 100% guarantee against violent crime regardless of how far you may think that you live from "the criminal element". All of the places that you are considering are nice and relatively safe, just like Sugar Land. Don't base your living decision on a few sensationalized headlines and some bogus sense of security; choose the place that you like the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston