Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:53 AM

99 posts, read 367,687 times

Advertisements

I think the point of the school lockdown is so that if armed bad guys are in the neighborhood trying to get away or hide from the cops, some random kid won't walk out of the school and into a dangerous situation. The administrators in this situation aren't so much worried about the school getting invaded as they're worried about high speed traffic or policemen or robbers running around in the immediate area of the school with their guns drawn and on edge.

A home invasion is vastly more serious than a simple "burglary", as someone called it earlier in the thread. In the former there is a person at large near the school who is armed and has already shown a proven propensity to violence. That's why they don't want kids accidentally wandering into the middle of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:23 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Perhaps.

I did some googling though, and it looks like HISD and DISD schools have 'locked down' when it comes to C-store or bank robberies in the neighborhood. I would also assume they'd do the same thing in case of an armed tie-up or similar. There is no information how close the robbery happened to the schools, so I can't pass judgment on whether or not a lockdown was appropriate. I only have a toddler, no kids in school, but I would assume the schools would err on the side of caution in a situation like this.
You're absolutely right. I did some googling as well and saw that the locked down school schools when various types of violent crimes were committed in the vicinity.

When I was in school we had school cops and such security, but I don't recall the school being locked down ever. Different times, different solutions. Or maybe they cut the funding for school cops.

Quote:
But the people with profile descriptions of:
Children - HELL NO

and make statements like
''don't have kids thankfully"

have overstepped their boundaries by merely responding to a thread like this.
Just relax. I initially got a chuckle at the notion of suburbia on lock down when a home invasion happens. It seems I was ignorant to the times of school security in the new millennium, it happens.

And you haven't over stepped any boundaries by telling me where I can post?

Furthermore, I'm thankful I don't have kids so I don't have to worry about stuff like this so lets try not jump to all kinds of conclusions.

Have a great day!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
When I was in school we had school cops and such security, but I don't recall the school being locked down ever. Different times, different solutions. Or maybe they cut the funding for school cops.

Same here. We got locked down once in middle school @ lunch. There was a drunk, possibly insane guy wandering around outside and tried to get in. They just locked all the doors down, we continued with lunch (it was somewhat of a laugh) and the police eventually scooped him up. But that was the late 80s. I don't ever think we did the "turn the lights off and hide" drill, which seems to be standard procedure nowadays. Not really sure what to think about that.

As to the other comments, no hard feelings here. But the irony is too amusing not to say anything.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:25 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Here's a video:

Home Invasion Leads To School Lockdowns - Video - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/video/27300252/index.html - broken link)

I have a husband who travels a lot and we have two young children. Seriously weighing the pros and cons of a gun in the house.
If you know how to raise kids - and far too many people do not these days - and you train them well (and you are well trained) - then you are safer with one in the house regardless of what (mostly) well intentioned liberals citing creatively interpreted statistics will try to tell you.

Depending on the home situation you can always keep the weapon in a quick access gun safe.

Odds are you will probably never need to use it. However, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

And to whoever posted they were an ex-spook and that was why they had guns all over the house - if you had actually been a case officer like I was you would know that we were rarely authorized to be armed.

I do have several weapons but it has very little to do with being an "ex-spook".

Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,829,811 times
At least one bad guy is off the streets:

Fort Bend County

Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
And more coming They keep on getting creative..

Police: Fake Cops Force Way Into Home - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/27369497/detail.html - broken link)

Last edited by ethanw; 03-30-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston