Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
Naw, from their perspective the latter would only support the idea that people from Houston only attend when it's free or cheap events. And the former...well, nobody is admitting(or paid) to have attended the worst Final Four championship game in history. Even though their numerous seat cushions and lanyards from the game says otherwise.

I guess Houston is not that cool.
That's funny.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
The roads. Quantity is OK but QUALITY is sorely lacking. The roads here are attrocious. I moved here from Miami 9 months ago and was shocked at how badly the roads are maintained. Maybe it is because I drvie a Corvette and feel every bump and crack since it has a hard suspension, but I really feel the roads here are unacceptable. Other than that, I think everything in Houston is great. Traffic is a little bad but not as bad as Miami and Houston is much larger.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The roads. Quantity is OK but QUALITY is sorely lacking. The roads here are attrocious. I moved here from Miami 9 months ago and was shocked at how badly the roads are maintained. Maybe it is because I drvie a Corvette and feel every bump and crack since it has a hard suspension, but I really feel the roads here are unacceptable. Other than that, I think everything in Houston is great. Traffic is a little bad but not as bad as Miami and Houston is much larger.
Wow! Is it the concrete or what?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,615 times
More skirts and/on professional women. Women visiting their men downtown should dress up a little bit. it's ok to be over dressed for the walmart itenerary btw

Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
Naw, from their perspective the latter would only support the idea that people from Houston only attend when it's free or cheap events. And the former...well, nobody is admitting(or paid) to have attended the worst Final Four championship game in history. Even though their numerous seat cushions and lanyards from the game says otherwise.
I was there, and I'd do it all over again. But then again, I appreciate defense. Hell, I even like soccer. I loved that a small school was involved in the final, that the teams shot below freezing and the NCAA money folks pissed their pants over it. That alone makes it worthwhile to me. Oh, and the place stayed mostly full to the end.

See, if we showed up late to a sporting event and left long before it was over, then we'd be like LA!

"Daddy, can we actually stay for the end of the game this time?"
"No, son, we're Dodger fans. We don't do that. We have traffic to beat!"

Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
It's so-called professional baseball team.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
It's so-called professional baseball team.
The Texans and Rockets are pretty good, but not good enough for CP3 last night!

Roads here need to be improved, I absolutely hate driving on Post Oak, Sage, and Richmond, they focused on the freeways and forgot about the surface roads.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM

433 posts, read 701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I was there, and I'd do it all over again. But then again, I appreciate defense. Hell, I even like soccer. I loved that a small school was involved in the final, that the teams shot below freezing and the NCAA money folks pissed their pants over it. That alone makes it worthwhile to me. Oh, and the place stayed mostly full to the end.

See, if we showed up late to a sporting event and left long before it was over, then we'd be like LA!

"Daddy, can we actually stay for the end of the game this time?"
"No, son, we're Dodger fans. We don't do that. We have traffic to beat!"

I saw the prelude to the main show and the VCU v. Butler game was a bore(VCU's band was nice). I knew better and gave away my ticket strip for Monday's game. The Kentucky v. UCONN game was the actual final game anyways-even one Butler family member admitted.

Since their chartered bus didn’t leave til later, they stayed around and were complaining how disorganized it was. Some had to stay in downtown while the team stayed in the Galleria area because of overbooking. It was spread out, they thought a temporary direct bus service or a rail line would have help immensely. They were older, so the concerts and Bracket Town didn’t appeal to them. They enjoyed the restaurants, but the Pavilions—not so much. They felt a little ’removed’ is what they said. For the OP, another vote for rail line.

Rebellion, rage, anarchy, etc.—I guess. If one still cares about how ‘pissed’ off the ‘machine’ was, then I suppose one would worry about how one is perceived by showing up late to a game and leaving early to beat the traffic. Even, making it a point to stay the whole time and making a remark when someone leaves early. I see why you would tend to root for the underdog. But besides, where else was everyone going to go…Just Dinner?

"Dad, can we stay for the end of the game?"
"No, son, we have somewhere to attend after the Laker game. We have to beat traffic to make the cruise to Catalina Island for dinner. Aren’t you tired from skiing in the morning, anyways?"

Last edited by pach84; 04-07-2011 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Interesting. The one game in the FF that was actually worth watching for the performance rather than just being part of the championship was a bore to you. The UK-UConn game was almost as ugly as the title game. UConn probably had the worst two-game performance of a champion in Final Four history.

So....onward?

Quote:
Rebellion, rage, anarchy, etc.
Are you talking about the Final Four or the streets of LA after a Lakers championship?

Quote:
"Dad, can we stay for the end of the game?"
"No, son, we have somewhere to attend after the Laker game. We have to beat traffic to make the cruise to Catalina Island for dinner. Aren’t you tired from skiing in the morning, anyways?"
Well done. This is a perfect illustration of the reality. There's a lot to do there, but a spectator-sports city LA is not. Maybe because there's a lot to do there. Or because of the "see and be seen" culture, which I never really understood, but I guess it comes along with the whole celebrity playground thing.

Suppose I'll wind this back to the original topic here - I had a really long rant typed up a couple nights ago that was to get posted here, but I X'd the window because nobody probably cares. But I'll sum it up in a short sentence or three:

You know what really needs to improve here? The people. You get what you put in, and you're getting probably better than you deserve. Have some vision.

The people make the city, not the other way around.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:49 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I think all, but one, is saying the opposite.
TBH, Houston could have Timmy Chan's as it's only restaurant, and the dining scene would still be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston