Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 05:02 PM

136 posts, read 894,467 times

Advertisements

I saw some old threads concerning this but I am back in the Houston area looking for a cell phone provider and wondered if anyone has any recommendations. I am hearing that Verizon is good - they were my provider in the early 2000's and I was happy. Are they still good. WOuld love to hear any thoughts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 05:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,129,254 times
I was just about to start a thread on this except my question was about T-Mobile which is running a special that could work for DH & me.

Looking fwd to the answers you get.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM

302 posts, read 955,806 times
We have AT&T and they leave a lot to be desired... but so do the others... We have Verizon at work and it just as bad... at least in the areas where we work (Downtown) and live (Katy) Lots of drop calls, spotty service, etc... Have heard good things about T-mobile, but who knows what would happen with the AT&T merger... With or without a merger, I have a feeling their days are counted...

I think at the end of the day it goes back to the old saying.... I would rather a bad one I know than I good one I don't know At least I know what to expect from AT&T....

Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrod8 View Post
We have AT&T and they leave a lot to be desired... but so do the others... We have Verizon at work and it just as bad... at least in the areas where we work (Downtown) and live (Katy) Lots of drop calls, spotty service, etc... Have heard good things about T-mobile, but who knows what would happen with the AT&T merger... With or without a merger, I have a feeling their days are counted...

I think at the end of the day it goes back to the old saying.... I would rather a bad one I know than I good one I don't know At least I know what to expect from AT&T....
Oh, no. I didn't know T-mobile was merging with AT&T. I left AT&T after almost 20 yrs because in the last couple of yrs, I was consistently getting misc (bogus) charges and dropped calls. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:28 PM

29 posts, read 89,984 times
I just drop T-Mobile because bad connections, drop calls and customer services getting worse. I pick Verizon because that is the only one working well in Katy Proper area. Like most others, I left AT & T for their mysterious charges decades ago.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,719,795 times
AT&T seems to be ok for me. Last time I checked they had the best coverage, which is peace of mind if you like to do road trips. My main gripe with them is AT&T store sales is borderline unethical. You have to shop around different places; for example the AT&T store, AT&T dot com, and Best Buy will have different monthly minutes/txt/data deals and the phones will have different pricing. My other gripe is that the best deals are only available to new customers, so if you are due to upgrade or renew it's in your pocketbook's best interest to leave AT&T for another provider.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:03 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,242,894 times
I have Verizon, my wife has ATT (she *had* to have an iPhone).

My service is rock-solid. She hates ATT.

From 4pm until 7-8pm, she can't get a signal, no texts, etc. When I call her at that time (for example, driving home from work), 80% of the time it goes straight to her VM.

Now that's at our house (near Rice U). A different location may be better (couldn't be worse ). But my point is Verizon is considered superb, and ATT has this kind of problem all over town.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:12 AM

834 posts, read 2,686,090 times
I'd say stay with either AT&T or Verizon. I used to have Sprint and cancelled year and a half ago. Getting dropped calls all the time or the other person couldn't hear me. Later we switched to AT&T and service was much better - no dropped calls. We have lived in an older house, and newer house and also near I-610 WEst Loop (someone told me truck's radio and police signals may may interfere with cell phone signal - not sure if that's true or not). People I know that work in medical center (Fannin) say any signal from any provider sucks, but at least text messaging seems to work fine. I have a sister with T-Mobile and doesn't like it.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,454,188 times
I have had AT&T for almost 10 years now ( I was with them when they were Cingular).
For the most part, I have not had any problems.
I do seem to get periodic dropped calls or I am unable to make a call when calling from the home, especially in the early evening.
I've heard AT&T will be building another tower soon, so that may solve that problem.
In terms of the prices on the phones, do not even bother going into the stores. You will just get ripped off.
It's better to call and ask for new phone offers and always be sure to let them know you have other options.
I was able to get a new HTC Android phone for free a couple of months ago just by being persistent.
My wife has Sprint and could not get a signal at all in our house (probably due to the insulation in the attic).
She had to get a router-type device in order to get any signal in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: