Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times

Advertisements

BA-HA-HA!! BA-HA-HA!

Parker: We erred on average drainage fee | Houston Politics | a Chron.com blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM

45 posts, read 98,965 times
It completely baffles me that when faced with a tax they could completely avoid paying (red light cameras) and a tax they're forced to pay (drainage fee), houstonians chose the latter.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 PM

56 posts, read 158,240 times
Umm, way to take a quote completely out of context.

"Mayor Annise Parker acknowledged Tuesday that her administration erred in telling voters that the average homeowner’s monthly Proposition 1 drainage fee would be $5. It is actually closer to $8.25, she said."

OMG, what am I going to do without my $3.25?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 PM

45 posts, read 98,965 times
yeah, 65% tax hike via an error is no big deal.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:33 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
It's still unclear whether we will still be double taxed:

Parker: Clear Lake City owners won't pay Houston drainage fee

"However, the mayor did add that the Clear Lake City Water Authority was not exempt from the fee, which could still result in the Clear Lake taxpayers paying this fee indirectly. This raises new confusion as to why the Clear Lake City Water Authority that provides drainage service to its customers in Clear Lake would have to pay a drainage fee to the City of Houston, who provides no drainage services to the Water Authority.”

Old 06-07-2011, 08:33 PM

Default It will be more, and more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhalljobs View Post
Umm, way to take a quote completely out of context.

"Mayor Annise Parker acknowledged Tuesday that her administration erred in telling voters that the average homeowner’s monthly Proposition 1 drainage fee would be $5. It is actually closer to $8.25, she said."

OMG, what am I going to do without my $3.25?
The $3.25 is just an appetizer. Nothing in the way the law was written prevents the city from raising it. What do you think they will do down the road? They are going to say just what you did "What is $X.00, the tax payers can afford it".

Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 PM

Default Not totally correct....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hogan View Post
It completely baffles me that when faced with a tax they could completely avoid paying (red light cameras) and a tax they're forced to pay (drainage fee), houstonians chose the latter.
It is voter apathy why this passed. The city hired a firm to lobby for it, and advertise it. Voters did not turn up to vote it down, so it passed. I think if you ask the voters again, they would say no to this.

The Red Light Cameras was the same way, except in reverse. Kubosh paid to advertise, and campaign against it, and they were voted out. I give the Mayor credit for allowing it to be voted on, she could have fought it. I suppose when people rally against the drainage tax, she will not be so willing to allow it to come up for a vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston